• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Daily Bread (Your Name Is Safe)

January 12, 2006

Your Name Is Safe

Read:
Revelation 2:12-17

I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it. —Revelation 2:17

There's an old saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me." It isn't true. Words can hurt us most of all.

In my case the hurtful word was "Skinny-bones," a name I was given in the 4th grade. I chuckle now when I think of it—no one would call me "Skinny-bones" these days. But back then the name wounded me. It became the way I thought of myself.

My father and mother, however, had the grace and wisdom to have given me another name, David—a name that means "beloved" in Hebrew. Despite the taunts I received on the schoolyard, I knew I was loved at home.

Perhaps you were one of those children whom people called names: "Dummy," "Idiot, "Fatso," or some other cruel epithet. Perhaps people still call you names or use your given name with contempt. I believe that God will one day give you a new name, a term of endearment known only by your heavenly Father and you (Revelation 2:17). His voice will convey tenderness, love, and acceptance. Your name is dear to Him.

As a little child once put it, "When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. Your name is safe in their mouth."

You—and your name—are safe with God. —David Roper

The Father knows your name—but more than that,
He knows your heart and all you think and do;
With Him your name is safe—that will not change—
But one day He will write your name anew. —Hess

Your name is precious to God.