• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Daily Bread (The Best Friend)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

The Best Friend
READ: John 15:9-15

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. —John 15:13It’s an honor I cherish, and one I seek to live up to—but I don’t always do it. It’s the privilege of hearing my wife say, “You’re my best friend,” which she does often. As much as I love her, though, I occasionally do something that is not so “best friend-ish.”

In reality, no matter how hard we try, we cannot live up to the high standard of being a friend who never lets others down. We all fail from time to time—forgetting to do what we should or simply allowing selfishness to build a barrier between us.

As believers, we take comfort in knowing that we are called a friend of God, and He is a true friend who will never falter. Michael Gungor’s joyous song “Friend of God” captures the wonder of this relationship when it asks, “Who am I that You are mindful of me?”

Abraham was called “the friend of God,” and that friendship was related to his faith (2 Chron. 20:7; James 2:23). Jesus explained how we can receive that designation as well. He said to His disciples, “You are My friends if you do whatever I command you” (John 15:14). There is no better friend, for we know that He will never leave us nor forsake us (Heb. 13:5).

Looking for the best friend ever? You can’t do better than the Lord Himself. — Dave Branon

I’ve found a Friend, O such a Friend!
He loved me ere I knew Him;
He drew me with the cords of love,
And thus He bound me to Him. —Small

Jesus is the only faultless Friend you’ll ever find.