• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Culture Threat #5: The Attack Against the Bible

Christians and Preachers no longer believe the Bible to be the infallible Word of God today. People like Rick Warren and Joel Osteen and a host of others have presented it as no more then just another "self help" book. The world no longer sees the Church as a place of reverence and hope, and why should they with lesbians and homosexuals dawning the pulpits. The only difference between them and us is the Crosses on the tops of the building...even those are being torn down as to not affend anyone.
Makes me sick ! :secret:
Until the People of God return to the foot of the Cross this down ward spiral of decay is just going to continue.

Brother Donnie,

I say Amen to your passion and I share your frustration.
Thing is, the appreciation (and I use this word in its deepest meaning possible) of the Cross does not come naturally or automatically.

We all were once baby Christians (the Greek word 'teknos' was used by both apostle Paul and John in their letters to the early churches). Our original fear of God turned into awe and love only when we have progressed in our faith and relationship with Him. And for this to happen, someone had to 'hold our head below the water' so to speak and tell us what we are missing by being a watered-down Christians.

Yes, people with influences as big as JO or RW have bigger responsibilities, but that's up to God to sort out what their deserve in the end. Our job is first to find good bible teachers with genuine passion to see Christians live up to their potentials.

These teachers are around us, most probably are not being noticed because their message is less glamorous and 'instant' as the mega-superstars on TV. But these people will be in line with well known bible teachers like David Jeremiah, Chuck Swindoll, Alistair Begg, Michael Yousef, Charles Stanley, and many other whose message is clear, non-compromising, and their passion for God and His work in this world is *obvious*. We need more Christians to develop the ear for these kind of biblical teachings. You'd be surprised how many people professing to be Christians that never even heard any of these names, let alone be familiar with their teachings.

And secondly, we need to become the 'pants-kicker' for our brothers and sisters with whom we have contact with. It's time to open our house for home-style bible studies with our neighbors, workmate, classmate, whatever. Especially if the pastor teacher in your church is not strongly pushing people to grow in the Spirit.

It's time to roll our sleeves folks.

PS: One more good resource to add to your reading list (warning, not for those who don't like to think hard once in a while) :

For Christ and Culture blog (I can't post links yet, just google this).

Last edited:
And secondly, we need to become the 'pants-kicker' for our brothers and sisters with whom we have contact with.

Fair enough.

You'd be surprised how many people professing to be Christians that never even heard any of these names, let alone be familiar with their teachings.

I'm a little unclear about the connection you are making between the names you dropped and what it means to be a Christian. It sounds a bit like you may be suggesting that if someone is not familiar with the names you mentioned, then that person is probably not a Christian (they they may profess to be Christian).

Is that right?

It sounds a bit like you may be suggesting that if someone is not familiar with the names you mentioned, then that person is probably not a Christian (they they may profess to be Christian).

Is that right?

Why do you seem to take things so literal and personal. Think things out in "general" terms and you'd see them in the light there intended.

Just sayin. :wink:

I'm a little unclear about the connection you are making between the names you dropped and what it means to be a Christian. It sounds a bit like you may be suggesting that if someone is not familiar with the names you mentioned, then that person is probably not a Christian (they they may profess to be Christian).

Is that right?

Huh?
No, that's not what I meant. :shock:
I was not "name dropping" either. Those men happens to be bible-teaching pastors whom I listen to on the radio regularly.

The things they have in common are: The teaching of concepts that are biblical, and their unflinching stance in making disciples. I don't always agree 100% with what they say, but they help tremendously in my growing understanding of the Scriptures.

My point was, a lot of Christians nowadays go to church, but most of them are not actively cultivating their relationship with God. And for that to happen, they need to listen to as much as Scriptures being taught as they can. Not just on Sundays, but also in-between. Hence the need of good teachings on Scriptures.

Hope that clarifies a bit.
How about you? do you have bible teachers that you learn from?

Hi will. Thanks for that explanation.

My point was, a lot of Christians nowadays go to church, but most of them are not actively cultivating their relationship with God. And for that to happen, they need to listen to as much as Scriptures being taught as they can. Not just on Sundays, but also in-between. Hence the need of good teachings on Scriptures.

I think you make a good point, but it's difficult for me to see how this relates to an attack on the Bible. In other words, it's not clear to me how laziness or a lack of enthusiasm for study constitutes an attack.

When I think of an attack on the Bible, I think of people teaching convenient doctrines which try to pervert the teachings of Jesus or to water them down to the point that they are virtually useless anyway. It may be that you are suggesting people are being taught that they don't need to study the Bible.

Perhaps it would be helpful to list some practical examples of what these attacks look like?

I suggesting in an earlier post that the kind of attack I find most offensive are attacks where people try to claim that Jesus didn't really mean what he said, or they try to substitute the teachings of a pastor, church, or denomination in place of Jesus' teachings.

I believe one example of this, and something you also mentioned, is the idea that we only need to worship God or gather together once (or maybe) twice per week.

In the Gospels, and in many other places throughout the NT we see an example where believers are living together communally and sharing all things in common and it was this example which "turned the world upside down". (Acts something something)

That example has been replaced these days and the fruit of it does appear to indicate that it was an attack on the values of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Active
Fair enough.

Is that right?
In my work with the Christian community, I have found true born again Christians have multiple Bibles, not just one on the mantel. They, like me, know other preachers and teachers of the word. Watch televised church services and listen to radio shows. With another Christian, we might discuss the topics. Unlike today, with the internet and cable, I came from a time before this technology. My Grandparents and Uncles were stronger Christians than me. We would sit around the kitchen table and discuss the Bible. I hope to measure to their standards. So yes, a Christian should be involved in the Christian community and know and visit other Churches and be known; openly discussing the Bible in public.

Donnie: Your worry and anger are just a fraction of waht The LORD must feel.

In my 66 years the world today is changed so much, it's like a world than never was, when I was a child. Today this is a angry, mean, distrustful, lustful world. What we know to be wrong by nature, is called good. (homosexuality) Thinmgs that are pure and wonderful are no longer considered worthy to be held high. (purity, faithfullness, and lasting love) God knows it all, He is not slow, but His time is near, Walk close to Jesus, cling to His WORD, we are not of this world.