• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Covenant-Keeping God

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
"Observe what I command you this day. Behold, I am driving out from before you the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Hittite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite. Exodus 34:11

At this point in Israel’s history, the Lord was establishing a covenant with His people, promising to “do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world” (Exodus 34:10). And He wasn’t just promising to do such wonders in front of Moses, but drying up the Jordan River (Joshua 3), His destruction of the walls of Jericho (Joshua 6), and more.

As if that wasn’t enough, commentators point out that God listed the six enemies that He would drive out before Israel if they would obey what He commanded them that day. He then went on to list His terms, what He expected of them: they were to cut down the Asherah poles (v.13), not worship any other god (v.14), not make idols (v.17), faithfully celebrate His festivals (vv.18, 22), honor the Sabbath (v.21), and more. They could only expect to receive the promises of God if they were faithful to Him.

What sort of enemies are you facing today? If you haven’t seen any progress against them, take inventory of your obedience to God. While you won’t always be able to understand His ways, He’s still a God who covenants with His people, and therefore expects obedience.

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
"Observe what I command you this day. Behold, I am driving out from before you the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Hittite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite. Exodus 34:11

At this point in Israel’s history, the Lord was establishing a covenant with His people, promising to “do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world” (Exodus 34:10). And He wasn’t just promising to do such wonders in front of Moses, but drying up the Jordan River (Joshua 3), His destruction of the walls of Jericho (Joshua 6), and more.

As if that wasn’t enough, commentators point out that God listed the six enemies that He would drive out before Israel if they would obey what He commanded them that day. He then went on to list His terms, what He expected of them: they were to cut down the Asherah poles (v.13), not worship any other god (v.14), not make idols (v.17), faithfully celebrate His festivals (vv.18, 22), honor the Sabbath (v.21), and more. They could only expect to receive the promises of God if they were faithful to Him.

What sort of enemies are you facing today? If you haven’t seen any progress against them, take inventory of your obedience to God. While you won’t always be able to understand His ways, He’s still a God who covenants with His people, and therefore expects obedience.
This is good....Still a covenant is always two sided...We have to keep covenant too.
Honor festivals...God's Holy Days...Hmmm Are they really just for the Jews? Ok...so if the Jews were the chosen people, and we are grafted in....what does that make us, beside chosen people?

Staff Member
Opens up a discussion on Covenants that would be better for a separate thread:smile:
Though I believe the devotional touches on what you've brought up.

Still a separate thread.....Want to tackle that brother? :smile:

With the love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bendito Bible Discussions 7
Wired 4 Fishen Bible Discussions 13
Jimmie Bible Discussions 1