• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Could You Ever Fail?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
"No!" Peter declared emphatically. "Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!" And all the others vowed the same. Mark 14:31 NLT

If Peter could have imagined the worst thing he could ever say, it would surely have to be a denial of Jesus. Having been the one disciple blessed with the Spirit’s insight into the divinity of Jesus as the Christ or promised Messiah, a denial was a significant fall.

Today’s success or profession of faith is not a guarantee of continued faithfulness in extremely trying circumstances. It’s hard to see Peter’s denial unfold in the pages of Mark’s Gospel, and so it may be even more troubling to imagine yourself making a similar denial in your own life.

Perhaps you haven’t denied Jesus with the blatant words of Peter, but you’ve denied Jesus in other ways. Maybe you have jumped into your day without any awareness of Jesus or you have made decisions that run counter to the values and morality Jesus taught. There are many ways to deny Jesus that don’t involve saying, “I don’t know you.”

You can take hope today that Jesus loved Peter and included him in His beloved community of disciples, knowing full well that Peter would deny Him. Even after Peter’s failure, Jesus welcomed him back with open arms and the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Prayer: Jesus, I thank You for Your mercy and affirmation that overcome my denials and failures.