• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outleet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Contextual metaphors

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
Have you ever noticed a lot a "metaphors" are used in the Bible?
Sometimes this can be confusing. Especially when the same metaphor is used for two different things.

Here are some examples.

Satan is called a lion....
1 Pet 5:8; Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

But Jesus is also called a lion.
Rev 5:5; and one of the elders *said to me, "Stop weeping; behold, the Lion that is from the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has overcome so as to open the book and its seven seals."

Sometimes leaven is used in the context of being "puffed up" in a bad way.
Matt 16:6; And Jesus said to them, "Watch out and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees."

But sometimes it is used in a good way.
Matt 13:33; He spoke another parable to them, "The kingdom of heaven is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three pecks of flour until it was all leavened."

Sometimes Jesus is called a sheep (lamb)
Isa 53:7; He was oppressed and He was afflicted, Yet He did not open His mouth; Like a lamb that is led to slaughter, And like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, So He did not open His mouth. (also Acts 8:32; )

But often He is called the shepherd.
John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.

The point here is... all metaphors don't always mean the same thing in every context.
Often they are... I cannot say this never happens. But also it is not true in every single instance.
For example every sheep in the Bible is not Jesus....
1 Pet 2:25; For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.

To make things worse.. sometimes different words are used across Bible versions.
For example... (King James)
Isa 45:7; I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

(NASB)
Isa 45:7; The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these.

Context matters....
In some passages, it makes it clear we are not slaves (in bondage to the world)
Gal 4:6; Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"
Gal 4:7; Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.

But yet in many parables.. we are called slaves.
(Matt 24:46; Matt 24:48; (over 40 verses)) so.. even though we are slaves (to Jesus)
we can be free from bondage.
John 8:32; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

I think without the Holy Spirit guiding us... it can be difficult to navigate through some of this.
John 16:13; "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
Gentiles is another word that can be confusing...

Technically the word Gentile simply mean "non-Jew".

There are some Gentiles who are believers in the Bible..

Acts 10:45; All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
Acts 11:1; Now the apostles and the brethren who were throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God

But yet in some scriptures, "Gentiles" is generically used as "sinners".

Eph 4:17; So this I say, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind,

Gal 2:15; "We are Jews by nature and not sinners from among the Gentiles;

1 Thes 4:5; not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God;

1 Pet 4:3; For the time already past is sufficient for you to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles, having pursued a course of sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties and abominable idolatries.

Not all Gentiles are sinners, and not all sinners are Gentiles.

Luke 13:2; And Jesus said to them, "Do you suppose that these Galileans were greater sinners than all other Galileans because they suffered this fate?

Even Galileans (Jews) could sin.

Active
Which is why you read the Bible in order BAC and dont skip around ten different passages isolating verses like this cos you will just get confused.