• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Content or Complacent?

Staff Member
Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. Philippians 4:11-12

What would make you content? You’re probably thinking of things like money, a particular home, or maybe a certain vehicle. If you just had whatever you’re thinking about right now, all would be perfect in your world and you’d discover ultimate contentment, right?

But every time you set your eyes on the next contentment-inducing object, the target shifts. When you have what you think you want, you discover something newer that promises greater contentment. Yet with each acquisition you schedule a new party for discontent.

The apostle Paul had almost nothing but knew contentment. He discovered contentment was the secret of living in varying circumstances. Contentment is being satisfied with where God places you. If He’s with you, there’s nothing to fear because you’ll have exactly what you need.

Sometimes it’s easy to exchange “contented” for “complacent.” Someone who’s satisfied in a circumstance he personally created is complacent. God can encourage him to move, but he doesn’t want to take one step beyond the comfort zone he’s made. Complacency is often found among those who’ve decided God can’t be trusted to lead. With God in control, however, contentment can be found in multiple circumstances.