• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Christianity with no rules

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
There was a popular song back in the early sixties called "You don't own me".
This song has recently become popular in a Toyota commercial. A few lines in the song say..
"Don't tell me what to do", "don't tell me what to say". It's a girl telling a boy that likes her...
"You don't own me".

I think this is the way many Christian want to be with Jesus. I believe in you, but hey,
you don't own me. Don't tell me what to do, and don't tell me what to say.

To borrow a couple of lines from the move "God's not Dead". (Which is about atheism in colleges to a point).
"If there is no God, anything is permissible". - in other words, if there is no God, anything goes.
There are atheists and non-Christians who appear to be good moral people. But without God, there is no
reason for them to be moral. In fact, it's kind of an oxymoron to say someone is "moral" without God, because what defines morality? Man or God?

Some people believe that Gentiles (anyone who isn't Jewish) that's most of us here, you and me.
Were never under the law to begin with. That's easy to refute in dozens of places in the Bible, but again...
if there is no law, anything is permissible. Being without a law, is much like being without a God.
Without law, I am unable to sin. Even if I wanted to. Because there is nothing to define what sin is.
What's kind of weird here is... these same people will say, yes Christians can sin. Really? Name one sin
they can do that isn't mentioned in the Bible? Other's will say the only sin they can commit is "unbelief
in Jesus". However the very first commandment is Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and might. ( Deut 6:5; ) you can't very well love Him, if you don't believe in Him. So even believing in Him is
a commandment.

The people of Sodom and Gomorrah weren't Jews... what sin did they commit was so evil that God destroyed
them? The Ninevites weren't Jews, what did they do that was so evil God wanted to destroy them?
The entire earth at the time of Noah and the flood weren't Jews, yet they were so evil that God destroyed
everyone but Noah and his family. What sins did these people do?

We jump t the new testament... some Christians say the old law is done away with. Well possibly for Christians, (more about that in a moment) but what about non-Christians? Even non-Jewish Christians?
If there is no law, I can not sin. If I can not sin, there is no reason to get saved or believe in jesus.
Matt 1:21; becomes null and void. Jesus can't save people from their sins if they can't sin.

Rom 2:15; says God's laws are written on the hearts of Gentiles (non-Jews). Why would He put the law on our hearts if we aren't under the law?
Rom 2:14; says the Gentiles "instinctively know to do the law".

In fact the the entire passage of Rom 2:12-29; is about the law and Gentiles. It even says a Jew isn't someone who was born a Jew, a Jew is someone who is circumcised in the heart (circumcision was part of the law). It goes on to say those who keep the law will judge those who do not keep the law, even if they are Jews!! So keeping the law was what made someone a "Jew" whether they were Jewish or not.

Well..OK... that may include Gentiles, but not Christians. They can't sin.
It's funny the same people who say Paul didn't write Romans to Gentiles but only to Jews in Rome will
use the book of Romans to say we aren't under the law anymore. You can't have it both ways.
Either Romans was written to everyone (even Gentiles) or else all of the verses about us not being under the law anymore don't apply to Gentiles.

Yet many places in the New Testament talk about believers who sin...
In Matt 18:21; Peter asks Jesus how many times he should forgive a "brother" who sins against him.
This isn't a biological brother. This is a spiritual brother, a fellow believer in Christ.
If Christians were unable to sin. Peter couldn't ask this question, and Jesus wouldn't give the answer He did.

Rom 3:9; says both Jews and Gentiles (some Bible say "Greeks") are under sin.
Rom 5:12; says through Adam, sin spread to "all" men (not just Jews).
Rom 6:1; asks the question... shall we continue in sin? How could we continue in sin if we are unable
to sin in the first place?
Rom 6:12; says do not let sin reign in your bodies, why would believers have to worry about sin?

A few places in the Bible, Paul calls himself the "apostle to the Gentiles". Almost all of his books of the
Bible are written to Gentiles. He writes to the Corinthians (who weren't Jews)

1 Cor 6:18; Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.

Why would he tell believers in the church of Corinth to "flee immorality"?

1 Cor 8:12; says we can sin against "the brethren" (fellow believers) and Jesus.

1 Tim 5:22; says to "keep yourself free from sin".
There dozens more verses like this, but it appears Christians can sin if they choose to.

1 Cor 6:9; Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
1 Cor 6:10; nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

These verses say nothing about being a believer or not... they simply say.. "if you do these things".. you will not inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Jn 5:17; says all unrighteousness is sin. The "unrighteous" will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:19; Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20; idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
Gal 5:21; envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Again... it doesn't say believers or non-believers... it simply says those who "practice" these things will not
inherit the kingdom of God. No rules Christianity is "no-law" Christianity. No morals Christianity.
Jesus talks about those who practice lawlessness...

Matt 7:21; "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
Matt 7:22; "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
Matt 7:23; "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

... you who practice lawlessness... these were apparently people who believed in Jesus and did miracles in His name.

Luke 6:46; "Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?

There are those who say Jesus is their Lord (authority, master) but yet they don't want Him to tell them
what to do, what to say, and how to live.

Loyal
Many people feel the Holy Spirit and want to continue to feel the Holy Spirit, but perhaps too many among those same people do not really want to be led by the Holy Spirit. They would rather do the leading and so we have a terrible confusion for those without the "eyes to see" what is really going on. Is this fall under a clear black and white list of rules to be obeyed? In sense, Jesus is the rule book, but how well are we able to read Him?

God allows people to get away with error because of where they are or are not at the moment in Him, but as we grow closer to Him we must move away from our errors and into a greater immersion in the Truth which Jesus is. Does not failure to do so mean losing even that which we already have...?