• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Christianity VS. Jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Active
Greetings,

I did not post much for 2 months. I’m going through a very difficult time now, and I almost lost my Christian faith, but as they say death is the beginning of something new. I was praying and thinking about this a lot and I found that I still believe in Christ and the bible, but I am starting to lose my faith in Christianity. I only like the ‘spiritual’ side of Christianity: praying and worshiping. I hate theology so much, even though I have a degree in Christian theology.

Christianity builds a massive religious wall of rules that you have to follow or obey to be accepted by the Christian community, while Christ destroyed this wall from the beginning, and he has already accepted us. It is totally different, because the Christian religion tells me that I must behave, then I can belong.

Christianity always condemns people who sin. It is based on fear, guilt, and it even hates people. Christ accepted sinners, loved them, and died for them.

So, for me I no longer want to identify as a ‘casual/traditional’ Christian, because I do not wish to identify with the so-called Christian religion, because I can’t obey all the rules in the bible, and it is not good for my spiritual growth. I no longer believe in attending a church and I do not believe in pastors, the purity culture, the long lists of I can’t do and I must do anymore. Most importantly, I began to look at heaven, hell, and sin more metaphorically in a spiritual manner.

I am beginning a new spiritual path which I call ‘Christian’ spirituality now, due to a lack of a better terminology. It is more of a personal path that I slowly became interested in when I was studying about Sethianic Christians, Valentinian texts, and Alexandrian/Coptic churches. The idea is understanding and becoming Christ-like through gaining wisdom. There is so much symbology and biblical metaphors, sometimes even meditative practices, and just a lot of 'personal' creativity. It is about Spiritual Growth and it is not dogmatic. I mean that there is no ‘correct’ way of doing it, because it is very personal path and it does not hate/condemn people, which is why I am interested in this.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this. I am honestly on the edge, and I am not happy about my current spiritual growth in Christ in what I call now fundamental Christianity and their obsession with sin.

God bless,

Loyal
Greetings,

I did not post much for 2 months. I’m going through a very difficult time now, and I almost lost my Christian faith, but as they say death is the beginning of something new. I was praying and thinking about this a lot and I found that I still believe in Christ and the bible, but I am starting to lose my faith in Christianity. I only like the ‘spiritual’ side of Christianity: praying and worshiping. I hate theology so much, even though I have a degree in Christian theology.

Christianity builds a massive religious wall of rules that you have to follow or obey to be accepted by the Christian community, while Christ destroyed this wall from the beginning, and he has already accepted us. It is totally different, because the Christian religion tells me that I must behave, then I can belong.

Christianity always condemns people who sin. It is based on fear, guilt, and it even hates people. Christ accepted sinners, loved them, and died for them.

So, for me I no longer want to identify as a ‘casual/traditional’ Christian, because I do not wish to identify with the so-called Christian religion, because I can’t obey all the rules in the bible, and it is not good for my spiritual growth. I no longer believe in attending a church and I do not believe in pastors, the purity culture, the long lists of I can’t do and I must do anymore. Most importantly, I began to look at heaven, hell, and sin more metaphorically in a spiritual manner.

I am beginning a new spiritual path which I call ‘Christian’ spirituality now, due to a lack of a better terminology. It is more of a personal path that I slowly became interested in when I was studying about Sethianic Christians, Valentinian texts, and Alexandrian/Coptic churches. The idea is understanding and becoming Christ-like through gaining wisdom. There is so much symbology and biblical metaphors, sometimes even meditative practices, and just a lot of 'personal' creativity. It is about Spiritual Growth and it is not dogmatic. I mean that there is no ‘correct’ way of doing it, because it is very personal path and it does not hate/condemn people, which is why I am interested in this.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this. I am honestly on the edge, and I am not happy about my current spiritual growth in Christ in what I call now fundamental Christianity and their obsession with sin.

God bless,
What is it that "Jesus" often said to those sinners when He helped them? He would often say, "Go and sin no more." That was love from Him to that person, because He knows that if they dont try to avoid sins, they will draw away from Him. And when the time comes, they will be without the oil needed to keep their light glowing and so miss Him in the night when the Bridegroom comes for the Bride.

Loyal
Christianity is what Jesus Christ has done on the cross for us -- in our place. It's relationship He wants with us. It's Not about obeying a lot of rules/ regulations.

Apparently your degree in Christian theology didn't do you any good. especially since you apparently hate what the Bible teaches. Theology are the doctrines / teachings Of the Bible / God's Word.

Loyal
I too avoid the 'Christian' label as much as I can. When Jesus called the first disciples, his only command was 'follow me'. And they left their nets and followed Jesus. So when I need to describe myself, my preference is 'Jesus follower'. It feels like that cuts free from much of the nonsense that goes on in the name of Christianity. After all, Jesus spent a large part of his ministry tackling established religious behaviour.

And Jesus also established a community based on his teachings - starting with his disciples. So I believe it is not possible to follow Jesus wholly as a solo pursuit. We need to walk with people who are travelling in the same direction.

Active
Kitty, you do not need exceeding wisdom to understand the simple Gospel of Jesus. Love your God with all your heart, mind and soul and love your neighbor as yourself - that is the beginning and the end of the truth.

Theology is not set up by God, it is set up by godless men who want to lord it over others as more wise and more educated. But Jesus said those who are great in His kingdom are servants to others. It is by your deeds, not your knowledge that you will be judged and rewarded. Focus on emulating the DEEDS of love by Jesus and His apostles. Without deeds of love, your faith is dead no matter how well educated you are.

Loyal
Ah -- theology is the study of God's Word. What a person Does with that knowledge is Usually to teach ie Sunday school classes or Bible study groups , preaching. There is the passage 2 Timothy 3:16 -- All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction ,for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." And "But be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves" -- if we aren't studying God's Word which is theology, then how do we know what it says.

Theology -- the study of God -- who He is -- His attributes. And doctrine are all the teachings In God's Word.

So -- of Course it's 'set up' by God. He gave it to us.

Loyal
We're Not Supposed to be trying to follow/ keep all the rules of the Old Testament. That would be a works-based salvation and that's not salvation at all. Ephesians 2:8-9 " For by grace we are saved through faith, its not of ourselves, it is the gift of God --Not of works, lest any man should boast'.

A person can have a great deal of Bible Knowledge , but not be a Christ-like person.

Active
I too avoid the 'Christian' label as much as I can. When Jesus called the first disciples, his only command was 'follow me'. And they left their nets and followed Jesus. So when I need to describe myself, my preference is 'Jesus follower'. It feels like that cuts free from much of the nonsense that goes on in the name of Christianity. After all, Jesus spent a large part of his ministry tackling established religious behaviour.

And Jesus also established a community based on his teachings - starting with his disciples. So I believe it is not possible to follow Jesus wholly as a solo pursuit. We need to walk with people who are travelling in the same direction.
Oh my goodness! I too have done the same, and have made the effort to seperate myself from the "Christian" community. Unfortunatley the enemy has destroyed that label ( as Mercedes Benz has done with there trucks lol) . The label christian now has no purpose. I call myself a different name to seperate myself from them. And I note there is many more that I know have who have done the same. Stripped bare mentally, spiritually and for many of us physically. Praise be to my mighty God and Jesus Christ.

Active
Christianity is what Jesus Christ has done on the cross for us -- in our place. It's relationship He wants with us. It's Not about obeying a lot of rules/ regulations.

Apparently your degree in Christian theology didn't do you any good. especially since you apparently hate what the Bible teaches. Theology are the doctrines / teachings Of the Bible / God's Word.

Sue – Please, do not make judgmental and silly claims again. I am not in the mood for it. Is this how people from Texas speak? because here in NY we mostly mind our business so check your tone.

I do not hate what the bible teaches, but the bible is not God. It is an apostolic tradition. I have nothing against the bible. It is the word of God and I believe it all but within Christianity, there is Catholicism, Protestantism, Mormonism, Methodism, etc... These ‘isms’ are all man-made ideologies that give you pieces of Jesus (some moral/godly truth), a lot of religion (nonsense), and lies. None of you here believe the same doctrines, despite the fact that you are reading the same book/verses. Maybe, you are smarter than me and figured it out?

NOBODY is really saved in a material universe. We all die here, even Jesus died when he came to this material world. There is so much symbolism and metaphors in this. If you do not know it already. This world is Satan’s ground. I am not concerned about what people believe or do here, because I am no longer a member of the salvation and the purity cults. We can’t fully grasp our lord through ‘reading’ the bible alone, because we have corrupted and confused languages. There is a reason why God gave us the gift of tongues. I am only saying this as an example. I am not saying you must speak in tongues.

Jesus saved you from the grave. Congratulations, but I do not want to be stuck at this 'baby' level. I want more and yes there is much more. It is not just about knowledge or wisdom. I actually know God more by knowing myself. It is simple enough and I do it through praying, worshiping, and meditating. That is the difference between ‘spiritual’ Christianity and all these ‘isms.’ I am on a very lonely and personal path. No church, no pastors, no claim of an ultimate truth in the way I do it, and no bible studies, because what I seek is a ‘spiritual’ experience, which edifies me continually. I can’t find any of this in your local Baptist church, but I can find it within ME.

Active
Kitty, you do not need exceeding wisdom to understand the simple Gospel of Jesus. Love your God with all your heart, mind and soul and love your neighbor as yourself - that is the beginning and the end of the truth.

Theology is not set up by God, it is set up by godless men who want to lord it over others as more wise and more educated. But Jesus said those who are great in His kingdom are servants to others. It is by your deeds, not your knowledge that you will be judged and rewarded. Focus on emulating the DEEDS of love by Jesus and His apostles. Without deeds of love, your faith is dead no matter how well educated you are.

It is not so simple, if you count all these denominations, but you also misunderstood me a bit. I was not saying wisdom is required. I meant that this personal path is what I was looking for all these years. It is very edifying spiritually. That is all.

Active
What is it that "Jesus" often said to those sinners when He helped them? He would often say, "Go and sin no more." That was love from Him to that person, because He knows that if they dont try to avoid sins, they will draw away from Him. And when the time comes, they will be without the oil needed to keep their light glowing and so miss Him in the night when the Bridegroom comes for the Bride.

What people call sin does not always seem sinful at all. None of us are without 'sin.'

Loyal
What people call sin does not always seem sinful at all. None of us are without 'sin.'
I agree, a lot doesnt seem sinful, and none of us are without sin. But human logic is corrupted, has been for a long long time. Do you think humanistic morals are so worthwhile (and thats what you are currently clingling to) that they are more trustworthy than what is found in scripture?

Loyal
Jesus died a horrible death so that you and I could "truly" live and not our bodies, but our spirits. Jesus didnt die so that your life would be easier, or any of our lives be easier, He looked at the long term, and currently you are seeing the short term as whats more important, another humanistic moral, for they arent even sure we continue on after the body dies, the body is the all important to them.

Loyal
Hi KittyLinda -- since your comments are aimed at me -- I can comment -- why don't you say what you Really mean. Are All people from NY as rude as You come across as being in Forum? No one made you come on Forum and express your ideas. The Bible IS God. John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word , and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God."

Of Course what the Bible / God's Word says is sinful doesn't seem so bad. That's just satan getting 'in our face'. And, you're right -- No one is without sin. Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God".

Christianity does NOT include RCC, Mormonism. The RCC was Not teaching Biblical truth -- That's why there was the Protestant Reformation. The reformers became the Lutheran , Methodist, Presby Church. The Baptist came later.

John 14:6 Jesus Christ is telling that "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man comes to the Father buy by Me."

And, yes, everyone in this Does die -- Jesus Christ being the Son of God -- died for our sins and rose again on the 3rd day. His blood washes away our sin -- salvation is Not part of a cult.

Obviously you don't understand how we came to get God's Word. Originally it was in Greek/ Hebrew and some Aramaic. Translators have made it possible to read it in various languages. And no two languages have the same alphabet. So what we have Now is the closest possible translation from the Original that a person can get.

Yes, there Is the gift of tongues -- but not for the purpose you've given it. I'm glad you're realizing that people don't need to speak in tongues.

I really do believe that you are on a very lonely path spiritually. You don't accept God's Word as The Sole authority. Whatever it is that you think is your spiritual utopia is only going to get lonlier for you.

And, yes, there is a great deal of God's Word To understand. It is living / alive Word of God.

Active
It is not so simple, if you count all these denominations, but you also misunderstood me a bit. I was not saying wisdom is required. I meant that this personal path is what I was looking for all these years. It is very edifying spiritually. That is all.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds should be led astray from the simplicity and purity [of devotion] to Christ.

Active
The message of Jesus Christ is simple and the early church under the apostles had no issues understanding it without theological schools. Theology was the invention of men under the inspiration of the devil to lead people away from that simplicity.

Loyal
Wow -- you've got a dangerous attitude towards theology. Most of our terms are man-made. Theology is the study of God / who He is. His attributes. God inspired man to write His Word under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

No one makes Anyone go to Bible college or seminary. It's our free choice.

Jesus Christ was their 'school of theology'. We have Jesus Christ's Word with us Today in the form of The Bible / God's Word. We have 2 Timothy 3 :16 "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in Righteousness."

I hear the voice of the deceiver.

Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. Heb 3:12

Don't miss the point. For freedom Christ has set us free. That is GREAT news. If you confess your sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness. 1John 1:9 More GREAT news.
The one who has died has been set free from sin. Rom 6:7 More GREAT news.

Have you received the gift of the Holy Spirit? Ask and you will receive.

Forget theology, theology quenches Holy Spirit, just follow Jesus.

Active
I agree, a lot doesnt seem sinful, and none of us are without sin. But human logic is corrupted, has been for a long long time. Do you think humanistic morals are so worthwhile (and thats what you are currently clingling to) that they are more trustworthy than what is found in scripture?

I am confident that my morals are not 'humanistic.' I am blessed by God to know more about morality than most, and this is why I quit 'Christian fundamentalism.'

I have no problem with what is found in scripture. I just do not want to be part of a religion that forces me to abandon those who I love and admire, or judge me day and night for a sin I committed when I was living a rebellious life away from God. It is NOT fair. I am not the same person 5 years ago, and I change as I grow in Christ. You also are not the same person you were 10 years ago.

I talked to my pastor. He is supposed to help me right? But no. . . He was so irrational, too harsh, and expects me to do what he says with no question, and if I do not, then I am immediately called a Jezebel and asks me to leave? I do not agree with this level of harshness, but thanks God, he opened my eyes to the reality of Christian fundamentalism.

Jesus died a horrible death so that you and I could "truly" live and not our bodies, but our spirits. Jesus didnt die so that your life would be easier, or any of our lives be easier, He looked at the long term, and currently you are seeing the short term as whats more important, another humanistic moral, for they arent even sure we continue on after the body dies, the body is the all important to them.

I don't think you understood what I meant. We surely continue after the body dies.

I am not blaming God for anything. I blamed myself for being deceived, because the people I expected to help me after a crisis turned against me the moment I disagreed with them. I did nothing actually that deserves this.

Status
Not open for further replies.