• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Christ in you, the hope of glory: What does it mean to you?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:11)

Active
1Col 1:27 "To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the gentiles which is CHRIST IN YOU, the hope of glory."

Before I elaborate anything I would like at least a couple of you to tell us what you think this mystery is. I.E. What does Christ in you, mean to you?

Active
Lets add Gal 4:19 "My little children, of whom I travail in birth again UNTIL CHRIST BE FORMED IN YOU."

So it would seem that just being born again is only a beginning point, so the question is what does the final product look like? Jesus Christ!
What are the capabilities once Christ is formed in you?

Matthew 19:26 ..............,but with God all things are possible." Jesus' words.
Luke 1:37 "For with God nothing shall be impossible." The angels words that spoke with Mary about her favour with God.
Matthew 17:20 ".........if ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed...............and nothing shall be impossible unto you." Jesus' words.

Looks to me as though there is nothing impossible for God, Jesus, or those who Christ has been formed in.

Loyal
All born again Christians are growing into the man they already are in Christ, discovering that same man in them.

The Apostle Paul was referring to the mystery hidden in the old testament and revealed in the new testament that the Holy Spirit will indwell the believer and the believer will become an heir/son of God for both Jew and Gentile together in Christ or rather Christ in us, being baptized by the Holy Spirit into the Body of Christ.

Active
1Col 1:27 "To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the gentiles which is CHRIST IN YOU, the hope of glory."

Before I elaborate anything I would like at least a couple of you to tell us what you think this mystery is. I.E. What does Christ in you, mean to you?
As we feed on the Word, who is Christ, That living Word remains in us and speaks through us, as the Spirit and the Father wills. He speaks through us with words we have, through our walk, taken into our hearts. At least, that's how it is for me.

Well first of all when we accept Christ the Holy Spirit comes to indwell us, which means the entire Godhead lives in us. All are omnipresence even Jesus whom can be in heaven and also be omnipresence. For example, He said in the Bible whereever two or more are gathered I will be there. The Holy Spirit has a distinct job as pointing us to Christ and helping us live like Christ, but that doesn't mean that the entireity of the Godhead doesn't reside in the believer. Jesus said We will come and make our abode in you.

Active

Hi Samson, I'll give it a go. A believer is called to feed on the Word. In the gospel of John we find that the Word is Jesus. A mature Christian, when asked a question regarding faith, finds the answers to the questions rising up into their hearts in the form of scripture. So if the Word is in me then so is Jesus, as he is the Word. Also if the Spirit moves in me, then so does Jesus because he and the Spirit are one. And if Jesus is in me, so is God because Jesus said "my father and I will come and make our home with you." Bless you.

Active

Very simple. Your first birth is a physical birth by your natural Mother; we obviously all have this. If you believe in Jesus Christ and accept God's free gift, you are " Born Again" born spiritually and given the spirit of God, or Jesus to dwell inside you. This is the only way you are accepted into the Heavenly Realm, hence with Jesus in you, hope of glory...the promise of glorification and acceptance into Heaven. This is all in the Bible

Hi Samson, I'll give it a go. A believer is called to feed on the Word. In the gospel of John we find that the Word is Jesus. A mature Christian, when asked a question regarding faith, finds the answers to the questions rising up into their hearts in the form of scripture. So if the Word is in me then so is Jesus, as he is the Word. Also if the Spirit moves in me, then so does Jesus because he and the Spirit are one. And if Jesus is in me, so is God because Jesus said "my father and I will come and make our home with you." Bless you.
Totally agree!!!!

I also agree with you and you are right when saying that "a believer is called to feed on the word".
I would just add that a "non believer" can not do that. That's why someone needs to have the experience and the miracle of being born again, so that Jesus can dwell in him and so that he can also be able to understand His word.
Sometimes people feeding only on the word without being born again understand the word just logically, but not in the Spirit. Obviously they need to feed on the word, but they also need a touch and a miracle from God of being born again and in this way to form part of His family.
I think you are right in what you said, I just wanted to add this.

Active
I also agree with you and you are right when saying that "a believer is called to feed on the word".
I would just add that a "non believer" can not do that. That's why someone needs to have the experience and the miracle of being born again, so that Jesus can dwell in him and so that he can also be able to understand His word.
Sometimes people feeding only on the word without being born again understand the word just logically, but not in the Spirit. Obviously they need to feed on the word, but they also need a touch and a miracle from God of being born again and in this way to form part of His family.
I think you are right in what you said, I just wanted to add this.
I totally agree Ivan, this only applies to people born again of the Spirit, because it is the Spirit that brings the Word to mind, and keeps it alive within us. I believed in the philosophy of Jesus for fourteen years before I was born again and believed I was a Christian, the problem was, my life did not change and my sin still controlled me. It wasn't until I bowed my knee, confessed my sin, acknowledged that Jesus has died and rose from the dead and asked him into my heart to change me, that my faith came to life, that was over thirty years ago and now I have an active faith. :innocent:

Active
Your answer is not a bad answer but not really what I was hoping for. And as some have agreed with you I will assume that that is the majority understanding.
Your answer is fine in that if I had asked for what does it mean to have the Holy Ghost help you with Ministry as this would be the question you answered.

I'm after what is it that you seek from your daily denial of self and carrying of your cross? You are born, or conceived, again already but the maturation process is
accomplished through sufferings. Jesus was perfected by the things that he suffered, and so shall it be with his brothers.

The Apostle Paul was referring to the mystery hidden in the old testament and revealed in the new testament that the Holy Spirit will indwell the believer and the believer will become an heir/son of God for both Jew and Gentile together in Christ or rather Christ in us, being baptized by the Holy Spirit into the Body of Christ.
Much more along the lines I was hoping for. An heir/son of God? Now theres a topic. And this is the final destination that the cross applied to the believer accomplishes.
As Jesus has life within himself and death has no more dominion over him, and he possesses all power in heaven and earth, so shall it be with his firstborn brothers
who have been perfected by their cross experience. After all, according to the law of the seed, we who have been born of the seed of God must become what he is.
It is this process that brings about the "hope of glory" which is a perfected son of God that possesses all the attributes of his Father and his older brother.

Romans 8:17 "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that WE SUFFER with him, that we may be also GLORIFIED TOGETHER."
Hebrews 12:7 "If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the Father chasteneth not?"

"Christ in you" is your opportunity to share in the power and immortality of God. Which Jesus has already attained being the first begotten from among the dead.

To throw a wrench into the discussion. Why would God only select a few to perfect to this particular level as his first harvest?
Hint: As God gave Jesus to have life within himself so also Jesus gives life to us to have within ourselves. Is that the end of it?

John17:2 "And thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should GIVE LIFE to as many as thou hast given Him."

Loyal
The Bible tells us to "test" (KJV says to "examine your self" ) ourselves to see if we are really living by faith.

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? (KJV)

2Co 13:5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test? (NASB)

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
Col 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Active
Your answer is not a bad answer but not really what I was hoping for. And as some have agreed with you I will assume that that is the majority understanding.
Your answer is fine in that if I had asked for what does it mean to have the Holy Ghost help you with Ministry as this would be the question you answered.

I'm after what is it that you seek from your daily denial of self and carrying of your cross? You are born, or conceived, again already but the maturation process is
accomplished through sufferings. Jesus was perfected by the things that he suffered, and so shall it be with his brothers.

Much more along the lines I was hoping for. An heir/son of God? Now theres a topic. And this is the final destination that the cross applied to the believer accomplishes.
As Jesus has life within himself and death has no more dominion over him, and he possesses all power in heaven and earth, so shall it be with his firstborn brothers
who have been perfected by their cross experience. After all, according to the law of the seed, we who have been born of the seed of God must become what he is.
It is this process that brings about the "hope of glory" which is a perfected son of God that possesses all the attributes of his Father and his older brother.

Romans 8:17 "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that WE SUFFER with him, that we may be also GLORIFIED TOGETHER."
Hebrews 12:7 "If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the Father chasteneth not?"

"Christ in you" is your opportunity to share in the power and immortality of God. Which Jesus has already attained being the first begotten from among the dead.

To throw a wrench into the discussion. Why would God only select a few to perfect to this particular level as his first harvest?
Hint: As God gave Jesus to have life within himself so also Jesus gives life to us to have within ourselves. Is that the end of it?

John17:2 "And thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should GIVE LIFE to as many as thou hast given Him."
Not long after the Lord found me my life became a tragedy and I went through much pain, but through the years I have grown, as we all do. And as we grow we learn how to handle suffering and we learn how to enjoy the blessings that a mature heart can savour. The suffering of others, causes sadness but for them, we can only empathise but that doesn't deter our joy. Being close to the Lord is joy, to know him is to understand him and to understand him is to love him wence comes our joy.