• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Christ Alone is Righteous

The Protestant/Reformed doctrines of imputed (to be considered/declared righteous) and imparted righteousness (to be sanctified by the power of the Spirit) and the Catholic doctrine of infused righteousness, all believe that the righteousness is credited to or belongs to the sinner themselves.
Neither of these views are correct because they forget that Christ alone is righteous, and that a sinner is no more or less righteous after salvation than they were before salvation.
The Bible says we have no righteousness of our own (Phil 3:9), whether imputed, imparted, or infused.
The Bible also says that Christ is our righteousness (1 Cor 1:30).
There is a big difference between Christ being our righteousness and us receiving righteousness or being considered to be righteous.
Christ being our righteousness has everything to do with our union with Christ through faith and not something we are credited with or gain ourselves.
It means that our righteousness ceases to exist, we have no righteousness of our own, and Christ becomes our righteousness.

The imputed, imparted and infused righteousness doctrines have led to much debate - things which were never really argued among the apostles or the early church, probably because they believed in none of these high theological doctrines - quite simply, Christ alone was their righteousness.
I believe if Paul was alive today and someone asked him "is our righteousness imputed, imparted or infused?", Paul would answer neither, and say "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." (Gal 2:20). When we died with Christ (as symbolized by baptism), our own righteousness died with Him. When raised with Christ, it is not our righteousness and His righteousness existing together - our righteousness dies and Christ is our righteousness. God does not credit any righteousness to ourselves, as is erroneously taught by the imputed righteousness doctrine, neither does He infuse righteousness into our being as erroneously taught by Catholics. It is simply a matter of Christ being our righteousness. Christ's righteousness is His alone, and He cannot credit it or give it to any other person. Matt 6:33 says we are to seek His righteousness, not our own. Like a covering robe of righteousness, Christ our righteousness "covers" us so that God only "sees" the "covering" of Christ.

To aid our understanding, an Old Testament shadow is the blood of the Passover lamb (Christ) put on the houses so that those inside the house would be kept safe from God's judgement as the angel of death passed over (Exodus 12:23, 1 Peter 1:19). The inhabitants of the house were no more righteous after the blood was put on the house, as before the blood was put on the house (there was no impartation or infusion of righteousness). Neither did God say to the house-dwellers "I now consider you righteous because the blood of the Passover lamb is on your house" (there was no imputation of righteousness).

Last edited:
Active

RJ

God calls us righteous, blameless and holy but, it is none of our doing but the one who lives inside us.

Loyal
@james1523 and @RJ - I am curious how you two interpret these verses?

Matt 5:20;
Matt 7:21;
Matt 19:24;
Matt 23:13;
Mark 9:47;
Matt 3:2;

In particular 1 Cor 6:9-10; , Galatians 5:21;, and Ephesians 5:5;
Do you think Obedience results in righteousness? ( Rom 6:16; )

9: Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
10: nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Active

RJ

I have a pretty good idea what James thinks but, I am in no way speaking for him.
  • -BAC-, for me, you miss one very point of salvation by Grace.
  • I find this all over the entire Bible but, if I were to pin it on two passages it would be: John 15: 4-5 4"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. 5"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.
  • God continually talks about separation: He separates, the Wheat from the Chaff, Wheat from the Tares, the Sheep from the Goats. I truely believe that when you die and go before the throne of God, he will look at you, see his Sons righteousness and say : " We done my good and faithful servant.
  • What is clear to me is that, from the foundation of the universe, God in his perfection, devised a perfect plan to defeat Satin and that plan is all of him and none of us.
  • It is not your fruit but his fruit through you.
  • It is not your righteousness but his righteousness through you.

Loyal
You didn't really answer my question about any of the verses I posted.
I am not denying the tree can't do anything without being rooted to the source. But it IS up to the tree itself whether it grows good fruit or bad fruit.
Is it his righteous in the verses I posted above? 1 Cor 6:9-10; and Galatians 5:21; ? Does Jesus cause this fruit also?
The Bible talks about fruit of the flesh and bad fruit. Does this comes from Jesus or us?
You have not answered that question.

Last edited:
Active

RJ

You didn't really answer my question about any of the verses I posted.
I am not denying the tree can't do anything without being rooted to the source. But it IS up to the tree itself whether it grows good fruit or bad fruit.
Is it his righteous in the verses I posted above? 1 Cor 6:9-10; and Galatians 5:21; ? Does Jesus cause this?
You have not answered that question.

• But it IS up to the tree itself whether it grows good fruit or bad fruit. No it is not! If you are "Born Again" , having Christ in you, you will bear good fruit because without him in you, you can do nothing.
  • 1 Corinthians 6: 9-10 / Galatians 5:21....Your point here just doesn't hold up....do you do these sorts of things willifully, with out regard or repentanting? Having Christ in you doesn't mean you will be perfect and never mess up again....remember any sin separates us from God if it weren't for Jesus. Paul said in Romans 8:1 that there is no condemnation for those in Christ. Condemnation from what -BAC-? If you are perfect and can never sin again, then why is there no condemnation. No, there is no condemnation for when you periodically mess up. I doubt seriuosly that many Christians do the sins in the above verses, much less willfully with out regard.
  • Look, I believe in salvation by Grace alone and you would say that I mean, I can sin all I want, which couln't be further from the truth!. You apparently must perform works to be saved, let's leave it at that.

Last edited:
  • But it IS up to the tree itself whether it grows good fruit or bad fruit. No it is not! If you are "Born Again" , having Christ in you, you will bear good fruit because without him in you, you can do nothing.
  • 1 Corinthians 6: 9-10 / Galatians 5:21....Your point here just doesn't hold up....do you do these sorts of things willifully, with out regard or repentanting? Having Christ in you doesn't mean you will be perfect and never mess up again....remember any sin separates us from God if it weren't for Jesus. Paul said in Romans 8:1 that there is no condemnation for those in Christ. Condemnation from what -BAC-? If you are perfect and can never sin again, then why is there no condemnation. No, there is no condemnation for when you periodically mess up. I doubt seriuosly that many Christians do the sins in the above verses, much less willfully with out regard.
  • Look, I believe in salvation by Grace alone and you would say that I mean, I can sin all I want, which couldn't be further from the truth!. You apparently must perform works to be saved, let's leave it at that.

To that I say a GREAT BIG AMEN RJ!!!!!!!!!! Anyone teaching that doctrine has got salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus alone completely bass-ackwards! These works-oriented "teachers" are teaching false doctrine. Such a dangerous doctrine. Paul spoke out strongly against such misuse of the scriptures! Galatians 2:21 Read the whole chapter of Galatians 2 with understanding folks!

Last edited:
Amen!

We are not righteous, but Jesus is. And, since we are in Jesus, we are in his righteousness!

Praise God for the good news of Jesus Christ!

A branch cannot bear fruit on it's own, but by abiding in the vine it can! I used to try and struggle for fruit, but now I realize God is our perfect Gardener, and he will make us bear fruit when he is ready!

Our only Job is to believe that Christ is our atonement, our savior, our righteousness. Through him we have become children of God, and we know the Love of our father through Jesus!

Last edited:
@james1523 and @RJ - I am curious how you two interpret these verses?

Matt 5:20;
Matt 7:21;
Matt 19:24;
Matt 23:13;
Mark 9:47;
Matt 3:2;

In particular 1 Cor 6:9-10; , Galatians 5:21;, and Ephesians 5:5;
Do you think Obedience results in righteousness? ( Rom 6:16; )

9: Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
10: nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

These verses will make sense if we understand the organic union of the believer with Christ. Righteousness is right standing or good standing with God. Apart from Christ we have no right standing with Him, either objectively or subjectively. For example, Matthew 5:20 is fulfilled because of Christ our right standing, both objectively and subjectively (right standing leading to sanctification). Because we have been joined with Christ through faith (1 Cor 6:17, Rom 6:3), Christ becomes our right standing. Therefore everything relating to Christ, including His Pharisee-exceeding right standing, becomes ours as well. Though it is not as if Christ's right standing is credited or infused to us, because Christ cannot share His righteousness with another. It is that Christ Himself, the righteous one, the mediator between God and man, is dwelling in our heart, and on this basis we are more righteous than Pharisees and are qualified for salvation. As Christ Himself spreads into our being, our mind is transformed, and eventually our body is transformed as well, and this is Christ's right standing leading to our sanctification, transformation and glorification. It is about us no longer living, but Christ living in us. The basis of the organic union, is that two have become one (Eph 5:31-32). So it is not that on the one hand Christ has His righteousness, and on the other hand we have our righteousness. We have no right standing with God apart from Christ - we are standing right with God because of Christ living in our heart.

I addressed these issues in the thread "A Key to Understanding Paul's Writings"

The Baptist theologian Augustus H. Strong describes the nature of the believer's union with Christ with five adjectives. (Strong, Augustus H. Systematic Theology. Valley Forge: Judson Press, 1907, p. 800-801) This union is:

1. An organic union - in which believers become members of Christ and enjoy a mutual, reciprocal dependence on Christ for life and He on them for expression (Eph 5:29-30).
2. A vital union - in which Christ operates within believers as their life and becomes the dominating principle within them (Gal 2:20; Col 3:3-4).
3. A spiritual union - that is, a union originating from and sustained by the Holy Spirit in their spirit (Rom 8:9-10; Eph 3:16-17).
4. An indissoluble union - that is, a union which, by virtue of Christ's eternal, divine, and incorruptible power and grace, can never be dissolved (Matt 28:20; Rom 8:39; Heb 7:16).
5. An inscrutable union - that is, a divine and mystical union of knowledge-surpassing intimacy and value (Eph 3:19; 5:32; Col 1:27).

Last edited:
Loyal
No it is not! If you are "Born Again" , having Christ in you, you will bear good fruit because without him in you, you can do nothing. {/QUOTE]

So you have never made a mistake and never sinned since you have been a Christian? In fact according to you, you are unable to sin even if you wanted to.

(QUOTE] do you do these sorts of things willifully, with out regard or repentanting?

So in other words you are saying our fruits, our deeds, our works, our actions (call them whatever you want) are what determine whether we are saved or not?

Just because a tree cannot bear fruit without soil, water and nourishment does not mean all fruit it bears is good. The fact is, some trees bear bad fruit.
Matt 3:8; Matt 3:10; Matt 7:17-19; Matt 12:33;

You still haven't answered my question. Is it Jesus's fault these is bad fruit?
Some fruit is fruit of the flesh. ( Gal 5:19-21; ) Does Jesus cause this bad fruit?

Why do you keep avoiding this question?

Loyal
As Christ Himself spreads into our being, our mind is transformed, and eventually our body is transformed as well, and this is Christ's right standing leading to our sanctification, transformation and glorification

transformed in what way? What makes a Christian different from a non-Christian?

Loyal
I am arguing Jesus is righteous, or even that he alone is righteous. What I am saying is, just because we are Christians does not mean we don't mess up.
And when we do mess up, it's not Jesus' fault. Jesus didn't make us do a bad thing, he didn't make us produce bad fruit. We do that on our own.
We need to quit blaming our sins on Him. When we sin, it's because it was our choice to sin. Anyone preaching otherwise is preaching a false doctrine.

Loyal
The fact is, it doesn't matter if you think you are saved or not... if you do practice doing these things...

Gal 5:19; Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20; idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
Gal 5:21; envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Cor 6:9; Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
1 Cor 6:10; nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Any other doctrine, is a false doctrine.

I don't know about you BAC, but anything good in me is only there because of the Holy Spirit bearing fruit in me.

This is my understanding: At the moment we repent from unbelief to belief in Jesus, the Holy Spirit indwells us. At the moment we have repented unto salvation, we are POSITIONALLY perfected in Christ. We are POSITIONALLY justified and sanctified. We are eternally secure at that moment. Nothing can then separate us from the love of our Savior. NOTHING.

The Holy Spirit then begins a work inside of us to progressively sanctify and purify us on this earth, a work which is always in progress but will not ever be completed here on earth because sinful flesh and blood humans just cannot be perfected in their current circumstances. We all still have our "old man" fighting against our "new creation in Christ", and the Holy Spirit is always conquering new territory in our souls as we walk through life with Jesus.

During this process, the Holy Spirit will convict us of our sins as we go. He does not just convict us of all sin at the time of salvation (who could stand to know the totality of their sinfulness???) but little by little, from glory to glory, He transforms us into the image of Christ.

Is all of this just too difficult for you to understand?

We will be fully sanctified POSITIONALLY plus PROGRESSIVELY when we are transformed in His presence, and not a minute sooner.

I am so ready to be perfected in His presence. I am sick and tired of being a sinful human. The longer I walk with the LORD, the more aware I become of just how sinful I really am on my own, in the flesh, and I long to be in His presence and be totally rid of this human sinful condition.

Maybe you will be perfected in this life by some effort of your own. But I know beyond a doubt that the only way I will attain perfect is in the presence of my LORD and SAVIOR face to face in eternity.

Meanwhile, nothing can separate me from His love. Not my sinfulness, nor any other created thing. Romans 8:31-39 Not even incorrect interpretation of His doctrine by anyone who misinterprets it and applies it to me in judgment as if that person had greater understanding of all God's precepts.

Let's invite people to join the family here by showing them how much we love one another, and how much Jesus loves us and them, and not how much we can pick one another apart on every issue ad nauseum! Please!

Active

RJ

The fact is, it doesn't matter if you think you are saved or not... if you do practice doing these things...

Gal 5:19; Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20; idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
Gal 5:21; envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Cor 6:9; Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
1 Cor 6:10; nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

BAC, you answer the devide between us in your own use of scripture above: those who practice such things ......."practice such things" means you do it on purpose with no regard or repentance in your heart and proves you are not regenerated or saved in the first place!

[h=1]Romans 8 King James Version (KJV)[/h]8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

transformed in what way? What makes a Christian different from a non-Christian?

Transformation of the soul, into Christ's image. Many differentiate between a Christian and non-Christian based upon what church they attend, their theology, doctrine, thought, practice or how often they sin, or how much they keep the Law. No, it boils down to this - the organic union with Christ is the key differentiating factor between a Christian and non-Christian, one has the Holy Spirit in their heart, and the other does not. You only need the Holy Spirit in your heart to be saved, it doesn't matter how much or what sin you do after that point onwards, you are still saved.

Last edited:
I am arguing Jesus is righteous, or even that he alone is righteous. What I am saying is, just because we are Christians does not mean we don't mess up.
And when we do mess up, it's not Jesus' fault. Jesus didn't make us do a bad thing, he didn't make us produce bad fruit. We do that on our own.
We need to quit blaming our sins on Him. When we sin, it's because it was our choice to sin. Anyone preaching otherwise is preaching a false doctrine.

It is not our fault or Christ's fault, it is the sin which dwells in our fallen flesh (Rom 7:17-18). Sometimes the word Satan is used as a personification of this indwelling sin in the flesh.
A Christian should not be producing bad fruit, if they are that means they are not a Christian. However a Christian may make mistakes, but this does not mean these mistakes are their bad fruit.

Last edited:

But you forget the verse right before it!!!

Galatians 5:18
But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law

It follows that if in the Spirit you are not under the law, then in the flesh you are!

Under the law, people who do these things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

All the more reason to embrace Jesus!!!

Paul is telling his church to act like Children of the freewoman, not of the slavewoman!

Halleluyah

Last edited:
Loyal
BAC, you answer the devide between us in your own use of scripture above: those who practice such things ......."practice such things" means you do it on purpose with no regard or repentance in your heart and proves you are not regenerated or saved in the first place!

So in other words, it goes back to works. "Practicing such things" determines on whether you are saved are not.
If you do bad works, you are not saved. I see.