• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Choosing Jesus without going through a tough time

I was born a Catholic. So, since I was a kid, I had no problem accepting that Jesus was the Son of God. I prayed to Him and worshiped Him in church and at home too. That was my religion.

I came across some sermons from Believers that taught that the way to life was to accept Jesus as Personal Lord and Savior. But I thought that that did not apply to me since I already worshiped none other than Jesus. I thought that it was already implied.

However, once a pastor gave such a good sermon that I was so enthusiastic and in my prayer I said, "Jesus, I've accepted you as God my whole life. I haven't verbally said, 'Lord be the Master of my life. I accept you into my life now' because I felt that it was already implied whenever I worshiped you. But JUST IN CASE it isn't implied, I accept you now as Lord and Savior of my life."

Months later, I came across another sermon which was heart-touching. At the end, the pastor (who also prophesied) said that if anyone wanted to accept Jesus, then they had to come forward, and she'd pray a prayer and we were to repeat after her. I thought that I'd go because it seemed more 'official' (if that's the word).

So you see, I accepted Christ more than once in my life. And in none of those times have I done so after going though devastating experiences. I hear testimonies of people being saved after reaching the bottom point of their lives. But that wasn't the case for me. I was brought up in a Christian (Catholic) family. When I accepted Christ it was not one of those cases where I do not know that He is God, and then realize that He actually is. I knew it all along; I accepted that fact all along.

But because I was accustomed to religion and not a relationship with Christ, I continually sinned and lived life as per my own will. Then, OVER TIME, I encountered the truth that I ought to submit entirely to Christ and LIVE OUT my faith (as James 2:14-17 teaches). Then, OVER TIME, I began changing my lifestyle and entering into a RELATIONSHIP with the Lord. So you see, only then, did I, in actuality, accept Jesus.

As a result, I do not know when exactly I got saved.

So what's my bottom line? I wanted to know if my situation - accepting Jesus more than once, that too not because of being delivered from some tough time, but because I was accustomed to believing that He is the only God - is ok? Is this normal?

Dear Oswinium.

To accept Jesus Christ as God is the requirement for eternal life.

Every single person is different from every other person so there is no "normal" pattern in how people arrive at the acceptance of Jesus.

I have heard many testimonies, all are different in so many ways.

The fact that you believe in Jesus and conform to godliness is ample proof that you are saved. For we have no other test other than the profession of Jesus and the production of good deeds over time. This is the apostolic, Biblical instruction handed down to us.

Active
As a result, I do not know when exactly I got saved.
You got saved 2000 years ago.

Col 2:12 Having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.
Eph 2:6 And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus

We were buried with him through baptism.
We was raised(past tense) with him through faith in the power of God.
Christ is seated at the right hand of God.We are seated with him and in him.
This happened 2000 years ago.The trigger to make it happen for me wasn't around until my time though.

I'm going with David 777 on this one.

There is no 'normal' way to accept Jesus. We are all different so the experience will differ.

Mine was..interesting. Yet I know others who just pretty much prayed a prayer, surrounded by loved ones , at age 8 and they had been saved since.

To be honest I'm just glad He found us. A lot of times he seeks us out.