• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Checklist Religion

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Now behold, one came and said to Him, "Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?" Matthew 19:16

A rich man met Jesus. He consulted his mental checklist and compared his past actions with what Jesus said he needed to do.

Don't murder? Check. Don't commit adultery? Check. Don't steal? Check. Don't lie? Check. Honor your parents? Check. Love your neighbor? Check. The rich man had to have felt pretty good about his spiritual resume. He quickly said, "All these I have kept. What do I still lack?"

Jesus said, "Go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me. "In this final to-do list, Jesus offered trust and friendship. The trust was wrapped up in believing God was worthy of greater faith than money. The friendship invited the man to stay close and follow.

This is a beautiful picture of why Jesus ushered in a new covenant that moved from a checklist religion to a trusting friendship with God. Don't sacrifice a relationship with God for a wall filled with spiritual merit badges. Maybe you want to impress God, but it ultimately leads you to trust your own efforts while resisting God's help.

Prayer: Lord, I want to celebrate the things You've done for me, not the few things I've done right. I believe obedience transforms my heart, but Your love extends an invitation to trust and follow. I want to do both.

Loyal
For the most part I agree with this post. We sometimes do try to make salvation a formula, or as the the Methodists would say... "a method".

On the other hand, I don't believe nothing is required at all.

Maybe you want to impress God, but it ultimately leads you to trust your own efforts while resisting God's help.
The flip side of this is... we let God do it "all" while we do absolutely nothing. It seems Jesus wasn't telling the rich man "it's OK, don't worry about it, I've got your back".

We may not have a list of a method, but that definitely doesn't mean we don't have to do anything.