• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Can anyone help me? [Need a history lesson]

I have been trying to put closure on my life as a roman catholic. I have a strong desire to understand the rudiments of Christian history, after the New Testament. I guess it is a Christian history lesson, that I am looking for. I have so many unanswered questions about the founding of modern day Christianity and how the roman catholic church drew so many people to it. Were all the saints that the catholics worship catholic themselves?
If someone is able to give me a clear and concise history lesson, I would be most grateful. I think I still carry a bit of a wound. It would be very good if you could make it so that I can print it off, because I have trouble looking at the computer for too long.
I do think the catholic church was founded on politics, but obviously I don't know much as the catholic church wouldn't really publicize anything that would cause members to question their faith.

Romans 1:6
And you are included among those Gentiles who have been called to belong to Jesus Christ.

Jude 1:19 These people are the ones who are creating divisions among you. They follow their natural instincts because they do not have God’s Spirit in them.

# Isaiah 54:5 For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.

In the Lord's name I pray that someone here has the Spirit willing to answer my questions. Thank you, in the name of Lord Jesus Christ. Amen:pixie:sun: :love:

I think it's better if we move this thread to Bible Chat sister, I hope you get the desired response here.

God bless you
Much love
teraside

Administrator
Staff Member
For me personally, as you wonder how so many draw themselves to the roman catholic church system, I wonder simply how so many knowingly reject Jesus Christ plainly. I'm not talking about those who have yet to receive the Gospel of Jesus, but the rest who received the Truth and deny it. I honestly think in a way the roman catholic is like this, but in a way some are plainly hypocrites.

That may sound harsh, but think about this. For one, I come from a giant Catholic family and attended Catholic school for 13 years straight. I know the whole 'tradition', I know the hypocrisy and so forth. The Catholic system is a great example of "sunday churchgoers". The "mass" are so religious, so traditional, so dull and lifeless. Why? Because it is so traditional, there is no true release and freedom in Jesus Christ. The catholic docrtine is not of GOD whatsoever, but man made, tampered with religious system. It is not relationship with GOD, it is religion with GOD.

Please read this thread for explalanations and background about the Roman Catholic system: http://www.talkjesus.com/bible-chat/5886-christian-catholic.html

For those who may be offended, seek the Truth for yourself and learn. Try this without pride and arrogance. For if you truly seek the Truth, you'll understand what I am talking about and why the Roman Catholic system is not the Truth from GOD.

May the Spirit of GOD guide us all into the Truth. I pray that *all* are led to the Truth without criss-crossing unbiblical teachings and "systems".

2,000 years in 100 words or less

I have been trying to put closure on my life as a roman catholic. I have a strong desire to understand the rudiments of Christian history, after the New Testament. I guess it is a Christian history lesson, that I am looking for. I have so many unanswered questions about the founding of modern day Christianity and how the roman catholic church drew so many people to it. Were all the saints that the catholics worship catholic themselves?
If someone is able to give me a clear and concise history lesson, I would be most grateful. I think I still carry a bit of a wound. It would be very good if you could make it so that I can print it off, because I have trouble looking at the computer for too long.
I do think the catholic church was founded on politics, but obviously I don't know much as the catholic church wouldn't really publicize anything that would cause members to question their faith.

Romans 1:6
And you are included among those Gentiles who have been called to belong to Jesus Christ.

Jude 1:19 These people are the ones who are creating divisions among you. They follow their natural instincts because they do not have God’s Spirit in them.

# Isaiah 54:5 For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.

In the Lord's name I pray that someone here has the Spirit willing to answer my questions. Thank you, in the name of Lord Jesus Christ. Amen:pixie:sun: :love:
In the beginning was the catholic orthodox church. From 600 to 1200 it split and reconciled several times into the catholic and orthodox churches over issues like the pope heading the church or not, celibate vs married priests, etc. until permanant split. Luther then split off the protestant branch, since the catholic shurch had become so works oriented in the 12-1500's, bringing back salvation via faith only which it had origionally taught, but had tended to lose in the medieval confusion. As I say, the very short version of church history.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input

I really need a history lesson. Monday it is off to the library to order a few books in on the History of Christianity. I did a search and there are so many different claims. But the one that I believe is that the catholic church was formed in 300 AD, for political purposes. Below are some quotes that I gathered online. Poor Christians anywhere. Why isn't the truth good enough?

"This is the complete lineage that is offered in support of the Vatican's claim that Peter's chair has been passed down in an unbroken succession of Roman bishops. With biographical sketches on each Pope." (the roman catholic church says that Peter was the first pope.)

2.To summarize Roman Catholic church history, we can begin with the establishment of Christianity as the state religion by Emperor Constantine around 313. At this time, the church began to make headway among the aristocracy. At this time, there was bitter controversy as well as the production of great theological treatises.
(#2. states that the roman catholic church was founded in 313AD hmmm)

3.As time progressed, Christianity divided into three major branches. The Roman Catholic branch of Christianity is the successor of the church established in Rome soon after Christ's death. It traces its spiritual history to the early disciples of Jesus. The Pope, or spiritual leader, traces his office's lineage back to St. Peter, the first Pope, one of Jesus' disciples. Roman Catholicism was originally predominately practiced in Ireland, Poland, France and Spain.

It all doesn't jive one bit. I am truly going to learn the "root" of the vine.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Chad has a post too, in the scriptural answers section. I have to get the name of the library book I read on the vatican art treasuries. It is crazy the things that they have in their treasury. The even have this box, made into a cross and inside they claim, is the umbilical chord of Jesus Christ. Honestly!!!! They have pictures of the apostles burying Mary, yet they claim that she ascended bodily into heaven, just as Jesus did. Honestly again!!!! I will get the name of that book: .:lightning :sun: :love: :rainbow:

Understanding church history is probably a good thing if you want to be a historian, however, "continuing stedfastly in the apostles doctrine" would be a better way to heal the wound of catholic doctrine. Proving to yourself that catholic doctrine is wrong will not equip you in the understanding of the doctrine of Christ. Fellowship with Jesus, understanding His teachings, will heal all that is past. This is a spiritual activity, not something learned in reading church history. Understanding the first principles of the doctrine of Christ (Heb. 6 1-3) profits all who are "born again" and leads to a perfecting fellowship with Jesus.

I asked myself what happend with the RCC, and this is what the spirit said. They were saved but the enemy led them astray. This happends when men use their own rules instead of Gods (Ie Catechism). Some can even go astray with the bible as a guide, so its understandable how one can be led astray without bible based beliefs. Its inevitable...Jesus said if the blind lead the blind well you know. Hope you find your answers Pixie:star:

Last edited:
Hi, Pixie. Having spent 30 years in the RCC I appreciate your need for closure. I wish I had a good reference for you, but I don't. I hope you're able to get factual information. Depending on who you talk to, you'll get some very mixed information, especially from catholics and orthodox believers. Maybe you'll be able to post some good, factual information...I know I'd be interested in what you learn.

Good luck and God bless you in your search.