Broken Cisterns

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:6)

Staff member
"For My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, [And] hewn themselves cisterns--broken cisterns that can hold no water. Jeremiah 2:13

Israel is dry most of the year, with rain falling predominantly in the winter, so water is a precious commodity. Then as now, the best sources were springs or fountains, as their supply was fresh and clean. Also, wells trapped into underground streams, and other source of running water.

God referred to Himself as “the fountain of living waters,” and Jesus called the Spirit of God “a well of water springing up to eternal life” (John 4:14).

When Israelite villages lacked sufficient water, they carved out underground reservoirs called cisterns to store water. They sealed the walls with plaster. Then they directed the winter rain into these cisterns. A great deal of mud ended up in the bottom of it (see Jeremiah 38:6). Also, Israel had many minor earthquakes, and the plaster was constantly cracking and the water draining away.

God pointed out how senseless His people were to choose broken cisterns with muddy, stale water over fresh spring water. Man’s broken philosophies and stagnant religions are the same—far inferior to faith in the true God. Unfortunately, people today are still hewing out cisterns.

Ditch the stagnant water of man’s philosophies and come drink of the water of life. “Let anyone who is thirsty come. Let anyone who desires drink freely from the water of life” (Revelation 22:17).

"For My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, [And] hewn themselves cisterns--broken cisterns that can hold no water. Jeremiah 2:13

Israel is dry most of the year, with rain falling predominantly in the winter, so water is a precious commodity. Then as now, the best sources were springs or fountains, as their supply was fresh and clean. Also, wells trapped into underground streams, and other source of running water.

God referred to Himself as “the fountain of living waters,” and Jesus called the Spirit of God “a well of water springing up to eternal life” (John 4:14).

When Israelite villages lacked sufficient water, they carved out underground reservoirs called cisterns to store water. They sealed the walls with plaster. Then they directed the winter rain into these cisterns. A great deal of mud ended up in the bottom of it (see Jeremiah 38:6). Also, Israel had many minor earthquakes, and the plaster was constantly cracking and the water draining away.

God pointed out how senseless His people were to choose broken cisterns with muddy, stale water over fresh spring water. Man’s broken philosophies and stagnant religions are the same—far inferior to faith in the true God. Unfortunately, people today are still hewing out cisterns.

Ditch the stagnant water of man’s philosophies and come drink of the water of life. “Let anyone who is thirsty come. Let anyone who desires drink freely from the water of life” (Revelation 22:17).
That can also apply to the promise of the Holy Spirit at our salvation at the calling of the gospel of Jesus Christ Whom we are supposed to be Witnesses of and no other supernatural calling.

I see His words of Jeremiah 2:13 as applying to forsaking the faith in Jesus Christ in regards to the sanctification of the Spirit by the belief of the Truth at the calling of the gospel when they are seeking to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit apart from salvation by a sign of tongues which comes with no interpretation as well as other signs of confusions when saved believers fall down or do crazy stuff due to lack of self control by these "receptions" of these visiting "spirits" that they believe is the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Seeking to receive the Holy Spirit again for whatever the reason is denying the testimony of Matthew 9:17 that we are being Spirit-filled all the time is how we can say we are saved and that Jesus Christ is the Saviour Whom has saved us. To seek to receive the Holy Spirit continually is forsaking resting in Jesus Christ and giving the false testimony as a broken cistern as unable to hold the water as broken bottles are unable to hold the wine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

That is the promise for those that seek after Him and His righteousness at our salvation which has been dictated as fulfilled by coming to & believing in Him as this promise is explained further below.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

There can be no more supernatural filling of the Spirit les that other encounter takes away the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ at our salvation that will tempt believers to see another filling and thus another glory and this reaching another gospel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

If any one experience receiving the Holy Spirit apart from salvation..... and yet that believer believes the Holy Spirit was received at the calling of the gospel when he has believed in Him the first time, then they should discern with Him that the second experience and al the other following phenomenon cannot be of Him because it makes the Father look evil as if He had not given us the Holy Spirit the first time when knocking at the door of Jesus Christ as promised.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Christ4Ever Devotionals 2
Franny1 Introduction 3
Fragrant Grace Prayer Request 5
Sue J Love Bible Chat 0
Sheila johnson Relationships 0