• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Christ centered community forums.

Join over 10,000 worldwide members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to night mode (or back to light/default theme) simply click on the "Site Menu" icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

Born Again? Are You a Son/Daughter of God?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:12)

Loyal Member
John 1:11-13 King James Version (KJV)

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

We've been given the power (authority) to become sons/daughters of God... How did you become a son/daughter of God? You believed on His name...Then...?
What does one do to become a son/daughter of God?

Galatians 3:26-28 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

26 For in union with the Messiah, you are all children of God through this trusting faithfulness; 27 because as many of you as were immersed into the Messiah have clothed yourselves with the Messiah, in whom 28 there is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor freeman, neither male nor female; for in union with the Messiah Yeshua, you are all one.

So does this mean that baptism is not optional, but is necessary to becoming a son/daughter of God?

What thinkest thou?

So does this mean that baptism is not optional, but is necessary to becoming a son/daughter of God?

What thinkest thou?
This is what I think about being born again.

1 John 5:18
We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not;
but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself,
and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Loyal Member
Top Poster Of Month
@Bendito,
As you posted, as many as received Him, He has given them power to "BECOME" son. What will a person do with this power? Some who say they believe will hide this power and some will use it to be conformed into the image of God's Son (Mat. 25:25; Eph. 4:22-24). I believe we are sons by faith through the process of confessing we "were" sinners, and receiving the free Gift the Holy Ghost which seals us in the body of Christ (Eph. 1:13).

Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Once we receive this power of the Holy Ghost we are vessels of honor sanctified and good for the Masters us. Our priority is obedience to developing into the love of God in the name of Jesus Christ. Not everyone that calls Jesus Lord will enter into God literal Kingdom (Mat. 7:21). Only those that obey and put on Righteousness as oppose to being Righteous in position will enter into the Kingdom of Christ.

Revelation 21:7
He that overcomes shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Baptizm is not optional:
Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Loyal Member
@Bendito,
As you posted, as many as received Him, He has given them power to "BECOME" son. What will a person do with this power? Some who say they believe will hide this power and some will use it to be conformed into the image of God's Son (Mat. 25:25; Eph. 4:22-24). I believe we are sons by faith through the process of confessing we "were" sinners, and receiving the free Gift the Holy Ghost which seals us in the body of Christ (Eph. 1:13).

Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Once we receive this power of the Holy Ghost we are vessels of honor sanctified and good for the Masters us. Our priority is obedience to developing into the love of God in the name of Jesus Christ. Not everyone that calls Jesus Lord will enter into God literal Kingdom (Mat. 7:21). Only those that obey and put on Righteousness as oppose to being Righteous in position will enter into the Kingdom of Christ.

Revelation 21:7
He that overcomes shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Baptizm is not optional:
Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
So you're saying that the overcomers are the ones who will become the sons/daughters of God?

Loyal Member
Top Poster Of Month
@Bendito,
So you're saying that the overcomers are the ones who will become the sons/daughters of God?
I’m actually not the one that said it but I'm agreeing with it.. Other scriptures confirm believers have responsibilities. Most Christians don’t desire to be held accountable for their works and refuse to say or see scriptures for what they say. God has told us that He will “reward” those that diligently seek Him if we do it by faith (Heb. 11:6).

What scripture teaches is - we have received power to overcome. Each example in scripture below is plain on “who” must “overcome” in order to be rewarded. It basically shows believers are responsible to do the overcoming.

Rev 3:5 He that overcomes, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Rev 3:12 Him that overcomes will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Rev 3:21 To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Believers have been told to be Holy even as Christ is Holy. Holiness is not just how God sees us by faith, but we must put on Holiness to show our faith. Faith without works is dead. The power of God is His word. If we put on that power and walk in it, we put on Love and walk in it. Therefore, putting on the character of Christ and walking in obedience is overcoming. The Spirit of God is in us to lead us in putting on the character of Christ.

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.

Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Loyal Member
Top Poster Of Month
@David Young,

I think the definition is within the verses themselves. The water is in the mother's womb.

John 3:4
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

= worshiping God in Spirit and Truth instead of idols and works of the flesh.

Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

To become sons daughter you have to believe in only begotten Son of God & also

Act 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
Act 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. "clean temple for Spirit of Truth to dwell in"
Act 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

because

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
-------------------------------------------------

Baptism is Ideal and I suspect required if God permit.

However those that by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves Rom 2:14-15

all righteousness should be fulfilled but not all things are expedient.

If you are a member of a church it seems expedient to be baptized however if you are set apart of the world that might be a different story.

Mar 9:38-50.
-------------------------------------------------------

What is more expedient is abstaining from impurities so Comforter can dwell within temple "Act 15:20". Water submersion represents cleansing and having a clean temple such as physical circumcision represents a heart turned towards God.

If you are not abstaining from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood; Or if you are abstaining from obedience to God; Then Circumcision and Baptism is meaningless.
----------------------------------

I hope I am an adopted son of God or that I become one. Still a living soul and no access to the book of life for visual confirmation so faith is the substance of things hoped for and evidence of things not seen.

Loyal Member
Top Poster Of Month
1. I hope I am an adopted son of God or that I become one. Still a living soul and no access to the book of life for visual confirmation so faith is the substance of things hoped for and evidence of things not seen.
1 John 3:2
Beloved, "NOW"are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be:but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

One factor in the equation is that there is nowhere in the Bible, or any earlier writing I have ever heard of, which provides a definition of the phrase 'born of water'.
Of course there is...all you have to do is read....Look. "Yeshua answered, “Yes, indeed, I tell you that unless a person is born from water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the Kingdom of God."...I would bet a cookie that that's where you stopped reading, but continue on..."6 What is born from the flesh is flesh, and what is born from the Spirit is spirit. 7 Stop being amazed at my telling you that you must be born again from above!" Born from/of water is referring to BIRTH water...Just before you popped into the world, you mother got rid of a bunch of water that you had been swimming in for nine months. It IS in the bible what it means.

@regibassman57

I only focused on Bendito's question; not the responses to save time.

Nature tells us.
----------------------

1. Water cleanseth

2. Life "of The Flesh" is within the Blood which is primarily water

3. When a mother's water breaks that indicates a child being born

4. Water is life and nourishment

5. breathes of life or oxygenated blood is water " i say this because when i fasted six days; no food or water my body converted oxygen to water.

6. Our entire flesh/temple is primarily water and functions off water.
-------------------------------------------------

So it seems a matter of how the dots are to be connected. Certain things can be observed and discerned thru life and life experiences .
------------------------------------------

Being Born is your identity or who you are .

So Being Born again is changing your identity or who you are

Changing from corruptible to incorruptible; or becoming Adam before he came corruptible with nothing being new under the sun and what not.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You may have heard the term someone was born to be a firefighter or policeman, etc. That is their identity or who they are.

The Son is also living waters and God is good and the increase is of God who is a Spirit.

So Joh 3:5 is probably 1 John 2:23

Being born of water and Spirit could be coded language for having the Son and The Father in order to get to heaven
---------------

Especially since some babies are aborted before they are born of water in the flesh.

The Son is also living waters and God is good and the increase is of God who is a Spirit.

So Joh 3:5 is probably 1 John 2:23

Being born of water and Spirit could be coded language for having the Son and The Father in order to get to heaven
---------------

Especially since some babies are aborted before they are born of water in the flesh.
Do you have a point to your last two posts. Its all rather ambiguous.

@Bendito,

Born Again= Putting on Incorruptible Seed
----------------------------------------

Born Again = of water and of the Spirit

of water = living waters = Mind of Christ

of the Spirit = God who is a Spirit and God of The Living
---------------------------------------------------

So Born Again = Putting on The Incorruptible Seed of The Son and The Father

If Jesus had been so concerned to make sure his readers had understood that he was talking about physical birth, he could have used an expression which there is evidence people used at the time. He could have used 'born of (a) woman', 'born of flesh', 'born of Adam' or just 'born'. Instead, given how close to John the Baptist's ministry, he chose a phrase which could be, and has been, interpreted as baptism. It has also been interpreted as an allusion to the Exodus. I have even seen at least one Christian writer interpret it in the light of another New Testament writing. And that's not even getting into the absurdity of saying that for a person to be born from above they must first be born (did Jesus think he had another ministry to the unborn in which he gave instructions to be born?).

Whatever it meant, he did not go to great lengths to ensure that it was unambiguous. Then again, considering Nicodemus' confusion over the term 'born from above/born again' is not really possible in Aramaic but only in Greek, there is considerable possibility that the exchange is complete fiction.

Loyal Member
Top Poster Of Month
@David Young,
Well, the hints that stands out in these verses are, "that which is "born" of the flesh is flesh,; that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. You must be "born" "AGAIN" a second time. A person is either "born" of flesh in water or "born" of Spirit.

The only thing that comes close to defining and understanding "born of water" in this context is being born of a woman. The born again experience doesn't happen with the washing or dunking of water; it happens with the Spirit circumcising the heart. Jesus said unless "a man" is "born" of water and Spirit. He didn't say born "again" of water. A man can only be born of the water of the mothers womb.

John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
John 3:6
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Loyal Member
If Jesus had been so concerned to make sure his readers had understood that he was talking about physical birth, he could have used an expression which there is evidence people used at the time. He could have used 'born of (a) woman', 'born of flesh', 'born of Adam' or just 'born'. Instead, given how close to John the Baptist's ministry, he chose a phrase which could be, and has been, interpreted as baptism. It has also been interpreted as an allusion to the Exodus. I have even seen at least one Christian writer interpret it in the light of another New Testament writing. And that's not even getting into the absurdity of saying that for a person to be born from above they must first be born (did Jesus think he had another ministry to the unborn in which he gave instructions to be born?).

Whatever it meant, he did not go to great lengths to ensure that it was unambiguous. Then again, considering Nicodemus' confusion over the term 'born from above/born again' is not really possible in Aramaic but only in Greek, there is considerable possibility that the exchange is complete fiction.
I've said it many times before and I'll say it again just for you....You CANNOT understand the Word intellectually.
1 Corinthians 2:12-15 King James Version (KJV)

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
You NEED to lean on the Holy Spirit to teach you. I pointed out to you yesterday that Jesus made it clear that one is born of the flesh, birth water, and must also be born of the Spirit as well...It really is not complicated....Our intellect likes to complicate things.