• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Christ centered community forums.

Join over 10,000 worldwide members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to night mode (or back to light/default theme) simply click on the "Site Menu" icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

Blessed are the Underqualified

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:4)

Staff member
And Mary said: "My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed. Luke 1:46-48

Who hasn't assumed at one time or another that God is surely looking for someone more qualified or capable?

As Mary grappled with her holy calling, she saw that her lowliness and lack of qualifications made her all the more favorable to God. We don't know much about Mary beyond the fact that she grew up in a relatively poor region, that the Jews in Jerusalem looked down on her and her fellow Galileans, and that she and Joseph could only afford the smallest of sacrifices at the temple. She lacked reputation and resources, but these very qualities made God all the more willing to bless her and to include her in His plans to bless others.

The less Mary personally had to lose, the more she could devote herself to the work of God. In this act of magnifying and exalting the Lord with her life, she found a source of joy that no one could touch. As she looked to God as her Savior, she could find reasons for hope in the future despite her lowly place in life and the turmoil that surrounded her day-to-day existence.

Loyal Member
1 Corinthians 1:27-29 (KJV)
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

That chapter is about every Christian regardless of how many certificates or impressive genealogies are on the wall.