• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Blasphemy

Administrator
Staff Member
"What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?"
The case of "blasphemy against the Spirit" in the New Testament is mentioned in Mark 3:22-30 and in Matthew 12:22-32. The term blasphemy may be generally defined as "defiant irreverence." We would apply the term to such sins as cursing God, or willfully degrading things relating to God. It is also attributing some evil to God, or denying Him some good that we should attribute to Him. This case of blasphemy, however, is a specific one, called "THE blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" in Matthew 12:31. In Matthew 12:31-32, the Pharisees, having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that the Lord was possessed by the demon "Beelzebub" (Matthew 12:24). Now notice that in Mark 3:30 Jesus is very specific about what exactly they did to commit "the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit."

This blasphemy has to do with someone accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. There are other ways to blaspheme the Holy Spirit, but this was "THE" unpardonable blasphemy. As a result, the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit cannot be duplicated today. Jesus Christ is not on earth. but seated at the right Hand of God. No one can witness Jesus Christ performing a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit. Although there is no blasphemy of the Spirit today, we should always keep in mind there is an unpardonable state of existence--the state of continued unbelief. There is no pardon for a person who dies in unbelief. Continual rejection of the Holy Spirit’s promptings to trust in Jesus Christ is the unpardonable blasphemy. Remember what is stated in John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have eternal life." The only condition when someone would have no forgiveness is if that someone is not among the "whoever believes in Him."

Article from: gotquestions.org

Thank you for clearing up this question.

I understand what you are saying Chad, but you say it can't be duplicated today.

Does it remain blasphemy of the Holy Spirit if someone today claims Jesus is or was demon posessed? I have first hand experience with someone that does not believe in Jesus that said He was demon posessed. Does this count as blasphemy?

Just asking the question to get clarity.

Another thing that comes to my mind and this is only my opinion. If I were to say a Christian is demon posessed, I have committed blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, have I not?

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member
This is the answer brother:

"Although there is no blasphemy of the Spirit today, we should always keep in mind there is an unpardonable state of existence--the state of continued unbelief. There is no pardon for a person who dies in unbelief. Continual rejection of the Holy Spirit’s promptings to trust in Jesus Christ is the unpardonable blasphemy."

"The only condition when someone would have no forgiveness is if that someone is not among the "whoever believes in Him."

You cannot blaspheme against Jesus Christ as a person [in person] since He is no longer GOD incarnate / man today when He was 2000 years ago.

You reject the Holy Spirit of GOD, you also reject the Father and the Son, therefore being a blasphemer

John 14:12

11Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

12"Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

1 Corinthians 8:5-6

5For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth--as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"-- 6yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.

Mathew 28:18-20

18And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Mark 3:28-30

28"Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, 29but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin" -- 30for they had said, "He has an unclean spirit."

Matthew Henry's Commentary:

The blasphemy of the scribes.

It was plain that the doctrine of Christ had a direct tendency to break the devil's power; and it was as plain, that casting of him out of the bodies of people, confirmed that doctrine; therefore Satan could not support such a design. Christ gave an awful warning against speaking such dangerous words.

It is true the gospel promises, because Christ has purchased, forgiveness for the greatest sins and sinners; but by this sin, they would oppose the gifts of the Holy Ghost after Christ's ascension. Such is the enmity of the heart, that unconverted men pretend believers are doing Satan's work, when sinners are brought to repentance and newness of life. (Mk 3:31-35)

Hello Brother,

I certainly consider the Da Vinci Code to be blasphemous.I have listened to the discussions from both sides but would not buy the book or watch the movies.I know my fellow Christians are countering these lies with the truth.May God give them the power to succeed.Amen.

Nicholas.

Administrator
Staff Member
Indeed. That davinci junk, all involved to promote it will receive their rewards soon. GOD is perfect, GOD is Sovereign.

No one enters Heaven without a true relationship and faith in Jesus Christ. Mocking Him 'til death will earn a man his deserved damnation

Jesus seems to make a distinction between sin against himself, and sin against the Holy Spirit - Matthew 12:32.

Quite commonly the Unpardonable Sin is understood thus: rejecting Christ, while as yet he was in the flesh, his work unfinished, when even his disciples did not understand him, was forgivable. But after his work was completed, and the Holy Spirit was come, then, in full knowledge, diliberate final rejection of the Holy Spirit's offer of Christ would constitute the "eternal sin which has never forgiveness." Similar sin is spoken of in Hebrews 6:6; 10:26 and 1 John 5:16.

In Matthew 12:36, "Idle Words," are here mentioned in connection with the unpardonable sin. Our words show our character - Matthew. 12:34. Our every word, as well as every secret act, is being recorded for reproduction in the Day of Judgment.

Also, read Mark 3:28-29.

God Bless,

Dan

DanV said:
Jesus seems to make a distinction between sin against himself, and sin against the Holy Spirit - Matthew 12:32.

Quite commonly the Unpardonable Sin is understood thus: rejecting Christ, while as yet he was in the flesh, his work unfinished, when even his disciples did not understand him, was forgivable. But after his work was completed, and the Holy Spirit was come, then, in full knowledge, diliberate final rejection of the Holy Spirit's offer of Christ would constitute the "eternal sin which has never forgiveness." Similar sin is spoken of in Hebrews 6:6; 10:26 and 1 John 5:16.

In Matthew 12:36, "Idle Words," are here mentioned in connection with the unpardonable sin. Our words show our character - Matthew. 12:34. Our every word, as well as every secret act, is being recorded for reproduction in the Day of Judgment.

Also, read Mark 3:28-29.

God Bless,

Dan
Amen DanV good post. It is the HolySpirit who reveals Jesus to us and seals our salvation.

It has always been my understanding that the unpardonable sin of Mk 3:28 (known as Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit) is intentionally and consistently giving Satan credit for the works of the Holy Spirit,

SLE

Chad...why dont you think it is possible to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit when the Spirit is still with us to day.....Couldn't someone say that somebody filled with the Spirit has a evil spirit in them and commit blasphemy???

Administrator
Staff Member
Eagle005 said:
Chad...why dont you think it is possible to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit when the Spirit is still with us to day.....Couldn't someone say that somebody filled with the Spirit has a evil spirit in them and commit blasphemy???
Anyone can say whatever they want, it means nothing when it stands up to what Scripture says. So, its now "why do you think...", Its what Scripture says. Basically, its rather common sense that GOD hates the devil and hates evil, therefore evil cannot dwell in the same place as GOD, the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O LORD; *
consider my meditation.
Hearken to my cry for help, my King and my God, *
for I make my prayer to you.
In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; *
early in the morning I make my appeal and watch for you.
For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness, *
and
evil cannot dwell with you.

Braggarts cannot stand in your sight; *
you hate all those who work wickedness.
You destroy those who speak lies; *
the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O LORD, you abhor.
But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy I will go into your house; *
I will bow down toward your holy temple in awe of you.

Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness,
because of those who lie in wait for me; *
make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouth; *
there is destruction in their heart;
Their throat is an open grave; *
they flatter with their tongue.
Declare them guilty, O God; *
let them fall, because of their schemes.
Because of their many transgressions cast them out, *
for they have rebelled against you.
But all who take refuge in you will be glad; *
they will sing out their joy for ever.
You will shelter them, *
so that those who love your Name may exult in you.
For you, O LORD, will bless the righteous; *
you will defend them with your favor as with a shield.

John 14:16-18
16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. 18"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

Romans 8:7-9
For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him

Galatians 5:17
For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

1 Corinthians 3:16 says, "Do you know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?"

3:17: "If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are."

This seems to say, be careful, even though you are filled with the Spirt, it is still possible for you to defile the temple, which is your body, where the Holy Spirit resides.

1 Corinthians 6:19 says, "Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?"

6:20: "For you were brought at a price, therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."

It seems that we would have to search the Scriptures and find out what will defile the body. Fornication is one.

God Bless,

Dan

Administrator
Staff Member
Amen brother Dan.

One thing to think about brother Eagle:

Why would a perfect Holy Spirit would want to dwell in the temple of one who is committing blasphemy against Him? He would not. Blasphemy is the unpardonable sin, the ultimate dead end rejection of the Holy Spirit.

Brother Chad - thank you - sometimes we forget the holiness of the Psalms - the glory they give to God and the comfort we receive from them.It is a beautiful sharing and I am grateful to you for posting it.

Nicholas.

That's true and when christians use the word of God in vain and that's blasphemy of the word of the Living God and also when we dont fear God and realise that God is pure, with no sin , holy and we dont even have time to think of the wonderful things he has done but always focussing on problems and blaming God for the situation and that's also a blasphem. Some people do also critise the move of Holy spirit and that's because they havent experience that and that's why they dont know the supernatural move of God in people lives !

blasphemy is still alive and well in our times.
We too have the HOLY GHOST just like our LORD ,but just not as much.
Still if we say?Our brother or sister has a devil .when in fact,they have the HOLY GHOST ? We too have basphemed against the HOLY GHOST!
We must be careful how we judge others,in this matter!

But did you know?We can have more of the HOLY GHOST ? Simply by asking!

Luk 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

I love HIM so VERY MUCH!:love:
He longs to teach and guide us and led us.
If we will hear HIM and ASK HIM?

blasphemy is still alive and well in our times.
We too have the HOLY GHOST just like our LORD ,but just not as much.
Still if we say?Our brother or sister has a devil .when in fact,they have the HOLY GHOST ? We too have basphemed against the HOLY GHOST!
We must be careful how we judge others,in this matter!

But did you know?We can have more of the HOLY GHOST ? Simply by asking!

Luk 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

I love HIM so VERY MUCH!:love:
He longs to teach and guide us and led us.
If we will hear HIM and ASK HIM?

As you say our God is the God of the "so much more" Amen! We, that is all of us need, require this "so much more" and "this spake He of the Spirit"

Let us keep our eyes upon Jesus, and what He has to offer. Other things will then fall away

Blasphemy or not we must never judge others - the Lord clearly tells us this many times in scripture. I agree with you and we must always remember "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone" Very few if anyone can cast the first stone. In this week of agony at His sufferings and rejoicing as He triumphs over evil let us all pray for those who have strayed from the flock that they may return to the Good Shepherd.