• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Bible translation`

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Jun

Im not really talking about wordfs that are translated differently like "road" into "way". Im reallyu talking about something like Rom 8:28 in NASB and NIV. This verse is quite different compared to eachother. It doesnt say "God causes" in the NIV. When studying the Word indepth, that can make a big difference in how we see the truth. How are we supposed to deal with that?

Well some like the NIV translate as a dynamic equivalent where they translate verse by verse, and the NASB and ESV translate more of a word for word style of translating.
Hope this is helpful.

Peace be with you,
Your Borther in Christ,
John

Jun

So when we are having these different translations, obviously the meaning changes somewhat. Should not we always find a bible that is translated word for word?

Yes sometimes the meaning can be changed with certain versions like the Message and NLT, so it is important when choosing a bible.

I will use the NIV for daily reading( it is a very accurate translation) and translations like ESV and NASB for more in depth studies.

Though lately I use the ESV for most of my reading and study, it is a word for word and very easy to read.
(no english translation is 100% for certain words in the Hebrew are not translatabe and have multiple uses, and some Greek has multiple meanings also especially when used in different contexts)

Also if you get a good study bible like the NIV Study Bible (or the Concordia Self Study Bible which expands on the NIV study Bible which I use alot.) you can use it also for studies because the notes are very good.

But above all pray on which one(s) to use
Hope this is helpful

Peace be with you,
Your Brother in Christ,
John

Why so many bibles?

Why so many bibles? Well to keep it simple and not to be in the realms of a theological debate. There was copies of the Word of God, about 500 (and 1500 fragments), which were found to have been written between the years 100 AD. and 270 A.D. that were line up side to side chapter to chapter verse for verse word for word. They did this as if they had Microsoft Excel program. Lets say one copy said, "see spot run." And the next copy said, "see a spot run." And the next, "see spot run." The authority of the sentence would be "see spot run." They used the 500 copies as witnesses for each other to have each verse checked to get compiled to have exactly what was written. If I remember right there was 47 scholars who did all this with guards as well who also watched to see if this was done correctly.
-Out of all this came the Authorized King James bible.-

But then later There were a few guys who took other copies written in about the year 300 A.D ( A total of 9 books, No foolin) and did this Excel trick and compiled a Bible that's printed out as other copies that we see today. By the way the writers of the Authorized King James Bible refused to use these 9 copies! To them they were non inspired!

Final thought with these facts.
God can help an individual understand any version. But only one version is as complete as its going to get, the Authorized King James bible.

As for me my first bible, 30 years ago, was the Living Bible!
But now I use the Authorized King James Bible.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSHARON%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Trivia (one example)
The King James Bible has 790685 words; The New International Version has 64576 words!

Please feel free if I need help with any of these facts!

Last edited:
So many Bibles, does make you wonder.

Two of the top Bibles used by Scholars I follow are the NASB and the NRSV.

I first read the NIV then used the KJV now for everyday reading I use the NKJV. These are more of a preference than quality of translation or even transliteration.

Because for serious study I use four or five in parallel along side with the Greek and Hebrew text and that's without mentioning the Lexicons, Dictionaries and Commentaries.

Look a little further into bringing a Bible over from one language to another and you learn pretty fast it is not a simple feat. You can't always do a word v. word nor a verse v. verse translation.

Plus the men and women that work on translating Bibles are always learning something new of the languages - Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic. Thus revisions and new editions.

Most cases for most Christians the Bible they use depends on which Church they visit or affiliation they belong too and nothing about the quality or quantity of work involved behind the Bible in use.

Best bet pray and learn to read the small print in the beginning of each Bible.