• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Beware of the Trap of too much Confidence

Staff Member
Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but now you say, 'We see.' Therefore your sin remains. John 9:41 NKJV

If you have children—or remember your own childhood—you may be familiar with a child protesting, “I didn’t know that was wrong “It’s not fair to punish me!” after doing something wrong. Children expect mercy when they act out of ignorance—or if they can at least claim they didn’t know the rules. Such mercy is right in line with Jesus, who reserved His judgment of sin for those who claimed to be free from it.

It turns out that hypocrisy over sin is far worse in God’s eyes than the sinful acts themselves. By committing sin and then denying their need for repentance or forgiveness, people cut themselves off from God’s mercy and forgiveness.

Are there areas in your life where you may be a little too confident in yourself? Are you certain that you are doing what’s right? While confidence rightly placed is a wonderful thing, beware of the trap of considering yourself more righteous and holy than you really are.

Prayer: Jesus, I look to Your mercy and kindness to forgive and restore me for my failures.

Loyal
Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but now you say, 'We see.' Therefore your sin remains. John 9:41 NKJV

If you have children—or remember your own childhood—you may be familiar with a child protesting, “I didn’t know that was wrong “It’s not fair to punish me!” after doing something wrong. Children expect mercy when they act out of ignorance—or if they can at least claim they didn’t know the rules. Such mercy is right in line with Jesus, who reserved His judgment of sin for those who claimed to be free from it.

It turns out that hypocrisy over sin is far worse in God’s eyes than the sinful acts themselves. By committing sin and then denying their need for repentance or forgiveness, people cut themselves off from God’s mercy and forgiveness.

Are there areas in your life where you may be a little too confident in yourself? Are you certain that you are doing what’s right? While confidence rightly placed is a wonderful thing, beware of the trap of considering yourself more righteous and holy than you really are.

Prayer: Jesus, I look to Your mercy and kindness to forgive and restore me for my failures.

Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth
take heed lest he fall.'
(1Co 10:12)

:love:

Loyal
great post reminds me of the scripture that says

Matthew 18:3
And said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven

Luke 18:17
Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”

how can you be like a child if you think you know everything?

also reminds me of the parable of the tax collector who prayed for mercy as a sinner, and the pharasie who exalted himself in his prayer

Luke 18:9-14
He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ ...

Pride before the fall
I do see a lot of people “ flexing” in these days, the world seems so tense, our own govt tries to split us up into “ tribes” and the media pushes the agenda “ divide and conquer “
That being said it seems not having confidence or not “ flexing” is seen as a weakness, being humble seems a weakness
The meek shall inherit the earth we are taught, but the world doesn’t follow the Psalms
Be confident , but overconfidence can be a burden …. You may be asked to back up that confidence, in a “ fake it till you make it” world
God hated pride, according to the cannon 66 pride was the first sin and god cast satan out of his sight
Ezekiel 15
15 You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you.

16 Through your widespread trade you were filled with violence, and you sinned. So I drove you in disgrace from the mount of God, and I expelled you, guardian cherub, from among the fiery stones.

17 Your heart became proud on account of your beauty, and you corrupted your wisdom because of your splendor. So I threw you to the earth; I made a spectacle of you before kings
It’s a tough walk for anyone speaking for myself when God found me I started looking around at the worldly people and judging them, in essence putting myself above them, not feeling sorry for them , I was no better than the Pharisees with my “ holier than thou” attitude
Matthew 7:1-3
Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Overconfidence can lead to you trying to put yourself in gods position as judge and jury
T
his is a great reminder Brother thank you for sharing

Loyal

* Beware of the Trap of too much Confidence

@Dave M,
@MrBear,

Hello @Christ4Ever,

The Jew sought to establish his own righteousness and thereby failed to submit to the righteousness which is of God by faith (Romans 10:3), didn't he? Through Isaiah, God said to them, 'For thus saith the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and YE WOULD NOT.' (Isa 30:15). The words of a hymn comes to mind, 'Oh what peace we often forfeit, oh what needless pain we bear,all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

The words of another hymn wants to be heared too, 'Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine, Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine.' It is 'assurance' that Paul desired for the believers in Laodicea, an assurance which is founded on knowledge. He said in Colossians 2:2-3, 'That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' This is no vain confidence, but an assurance born of the knowledge of God, and of the Father, and of Christ. This is something more than mere confidence isn't it?

* It is knowledge of Himself that God would have us know, isn't it? In and through Christ Jesus, our risen and glorified, Saviour, Lord and Head: and a quiet assurance born of confidence in the faithfulness and power of God, to do all that He has promised in Christ Jesus our Lord. We can't have too much of that.

'Thus saith the LORD,
Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
neither let the mighty man glory in his might,
let not the rich man glory in his riches:
But let him that glorieth glory in this,
that he understandeth and knoweth Me,
that I am the LORD
which exercise lovingkindness,
judgment, and righteousness, in the earth:
for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.'
(Jer 9:23-24)

Thank you