• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Beware Careless Words

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Not so with my servant Moses. He is faithful in all my house. With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the LORD. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?" Numbers 12:7-8 ESV

Miriam and Aaron had spoken against Moses, criticizing his Cushite wife and claiming that they had the same authority to speak on God’s behalf. God’s judgment put an end to both of their claims against Moses, and they offer a reminder that careless words and criticism can lead to unforeseen consequences.

Far from giving every leader a free pass from criticism, this passage specifically addresses the times you may be tempted to think more highly of yourself or to unjustly attack a person in authority. Even more broadly, careless criticism rarely leads to the results that you may imagine. Careless words can lead to division and an even lower opinion of your wisdom and insight.

By the time God was finished exposing the pride of Aaron and Miriam, they had no illusions about themselves. Before speaking up, consider whether you may be blinded by your own illusions. Have you considered yourself more qualified or more connected to God than someone else? If so, proceed cautiously.

Prayer: Lord, grant me the wisdom and knowledge to speak constructively and helpfully, never assuming I am wiser or more knowledgeable than warranted.

Active
Top Poster Of Month
Yes, that mouth, will get you into a lot trouble on all 4 fronts!
God
Devil
World
Flesh
But God is the main one. He is the one that controls the gates to the other ones. “Fear God and keep His commandments “:pensive: