• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Benefits of Green Tea

Administrator
Staff Member
GOD is awesome :) He has provided us every possible natural health remedy we need. Throw away the common pills that the doctors give you and find the natural herbal remedy that has been around since day one. No discoveries required, just insight and investigation. Here is one about green tea.

To sum up, here are just a few medical conditions in which drinking green tea is reputed to be helpful:
  • cancer
  • rheumatoid arthritis
  • high cholesterol levels
  • cariovascular disease
  • infection
  • impaired immune function
What makes green tea so special?

The secret of green tea lies in the fact it is rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG is a powerful anti-oxidant: besides inhibiting the growth of cancer cells, it kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue. It has also been effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels, and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots. The latter takes on added importance when you consider that thrombosis (the formation of abnormal blood clots) is the leading cause of heart attacks and stroke.
Links are being made between the effects of drinking green tea and the "French Paradox." For years, researchers were puzzled by the fact that, despite consuming a diet rich in fat, the French have a lower incidence of heart disease than Americans. The answer was found to lie in red wine, which contains resveratrol, a polyphenol that limits the negative effects of smoking and a fatty diet. In a 1997 study, researchers from the University of Kansas determined that EGCG is twice as powerful as resveratrol, which may explain why the rate of heart disease among Japanese men is quite low, even though approximately seventy-five percent are smokers.

Why don't other Chinese teas have similar health-giving properties? Green, oolong, and black teas all come from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. What sets green tea apart is the way it is processed. Green tea leaves are steamed, which prevents the EGCG compound from being oxidized. By contrast, black and oolong tea leaves are made from fermented leaves, which results in the EGCG being converted into other compounds that are not nearly as effective in preventing and fighting various diseases.

Other Benefits

New evidence is emerging that green tea can even help dieters. In November, 1999, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published the results of a study at the University of Geneva in Switzerland. Researchers found that men who were given a combination of caffeine and green tea extract burned more calories than those given only caffeine or a placebo.
Green tea can even help prevent tooth decay! Just as its bacteria-destroying abilities can help prevent food poisoning, it can also kill the bacteria that causes dental plaque. Meanwhile, skin preparations containing green tea - from deodorants to creams - are starting to appear on the market.

Thanks for the article Chad ...i switched to green tea a few months ago from coffee, it has helped a lot with my nerves:) and i kinda like the taste.

God bless brother

I drink it every day . I like the green tea - spearmint mix . Good stuff . Mike

Well guys, you've converted me to green tea. :shade: I had actually been going to try it for ages, but seeing there was a mint variety swayed me, since I already drank peppermint tea. :star: So make sure we're well stocked up.

Administrator
Staff Member
Some more benefits (taken from external study groups)

Here are just a few known health benefits of drinking green tea:
  • Boosts your immune system
  • Lowers blood sugar
  • Helps prevent cavities and tooth decay
  • Slows the aging process
  • Helps reduce the risk of cancer
  • Lowers cholesterol
  • Aids in weight loss by burning calories
  • Reduces high blood pressure
  • Prevents arthritis
  • Reduces the risk of heart disease
  • Reduces the risk of stroke
  • Lowers the risk of blood clot
Anti-Cancer Compound Identified
LONDON (Reuters) - Spanish and British scientists have discovered how green tea helps to prevent certain types of cancer.

Researchers at the University of Murcia in Spain (UMU) and the John Innes Center (JIC) in Norwich, England have shown that a compound called EGCG in green tea prevents cancer cells from growing by binding to a specific enzyme.

"We have shown for the first time that EGCG, which is present in green tea at relatively high concentrations, inhibits the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), which is a recognized, established target for anti-cancer drugs, " Professor Roger Thorneley, of JIC, told Reuters.

"This is the first time, to our knowledge, a known target for an anti-cancer drug has been identified as being inhibited by EGCG," he added.
Green tea has about five times as much EGCG as regular tea, studies have shown. It decreased rates of certain cancers but scientists were not sure what compounds were involved or how they worked. Nor had they determined how much green tea a person would have to drink to have a beneficial effect, he said.

Thorneley said EGCG is probably just one of a number of anti-cancer mechanisms in green tea.

"We have identified this enzyme in tumour cells that EGCG targets and understand how it stops this enzyme from making DNA. This means we may be able to develop new anti-cancer drugs based on the structure of the EGCG molecule," Thorneley explained.

The scientists decided to look at ECGC after they realized its structure was similar to a cancer drug called methotrexate.

"We discovered that EGCG can kill cancer cells in the same way as methotrexate," Dr Jose Neptuno Rodriguez-Lopez, of UMU, a joint author of the research published in the journal Cancer Research.

EGCG binds strongly to DHFR, which is essential in both healthy and cancerous cells. But it does not bind as tightly as methotrexate, so its side effects on healthy cells could be less severe than those of the drug.

Thorneley said EGCG could be a lead compound for new anti-cancer drugs.
The findings could also explain why women who drink large amounts of green tea around the time they conceive and early in their pregnancy may have an increased risk of having a child with spina bifida or other neural tube disorders.
Women are advised to take supplements of folic acid because it protects against spina bifida. But large amounts of green tea could decrease the effectiveness of folic acid.
"This enzyme, (DHFR), is the one folic acid supplements are given for. Folic acid deficiency leads to neural tube development defects," Thorneley added.

Doctor David Banner, physician, scientist, searching for a way to tap into the hidden strengths that all humans have, then an accidental overdose of gamma radiation (otherwise known as green tea) alters his body chemistry, and a startling metamorphosis occurs.....

Oh no...Chad you seem to be turning a little green...:eek:mg:

http://members.aol.com/vtwriter/images/hulkrw.jpg

*kidding!*

Administrator
Staff Member
It was a mix of a bad day and too mush Irish formula :p

Just kidding. That gentleman could use a fashion maker over by the way. Not kidding this time around :D LOL.

Green Tea - pineapple and grapefruit

I tried green tea with pineapple and grapefruit after reading this thread then I had a 'funny green moment' eurrrgh. However, my mum drank green tea -her prognosis with cancer was 2- 4 years and she lived 8 and a half. Thus much of her healthy eating and drinking habits must have worked some magic.

So I will try her Green Tea and Jasmine mix instead.

Great post!!
I'm addicted to everything it seems, I drink so many cups of green tea, it's either I really like it or I'm desperately bored!

Thanks for that post.
As for me i occassionally drink herbal tea-the flavoured ones which are great. Its true, it helps in burning colories and i tend to get full thus looses my appetite which is good (sometimes). But i must admit on the side effects and this is a secret....you cant help visiting the toilet regularly for the big job.....ha! ha! :laugh: for real..! Especially the Chinese herbal teas....try it you'll tell me the above results..!!

Lets be honest here, who has ever experienced that? Dont lie, if you are a fun of it,esp.the chinese ones then at one point you must have passed through this road. Let's be honest please....

So interesting to find this thread today. I am currently trying to heal from the Flu & Pneumonia. So I have been drinking lots of liquids... water the most, also some juice and a tiny bit of ginger ale pop. And each day a couple cups of herbal tea. Mostly green tea but also lemon zinger - all with honey. Today I had a pot of tea (one green tea bag and one lemon zinger). Today I also "met" with the issue you wrote about grace - no fun. A friend told me today that teas are a direretic - I thought I heard that somewhere but I thought that it had to have caffeine in it to do that...and I only like herbal (no-caf.) tea. I was feeling a bit nauseous this afternoon & didn't know what was going on - did find out later. So now it's back to water, maybe a bit of Gatorade to increase my hydration (that stuff is gross but it seems to work well and fast).

I am trying to drink more green tea but the after taste i find is just nasty ,i know i will become use to it so heads up i stick to it as i know its super good for me, great post cheers

Administrator
Staff Member
I am trying to drink more green tea but the after taste i find is just nasty ,i know i will become use to it so heads up i stick to it as i know its super good for me, great post cheers

I add fresh squeezed lemon and a touch of honey. Tastes like heaven after :)

I feel like I'm a koala when I drink green tea; tastes like I'm drinking leaves XD

Actually, it comes from leaves anyway.

Green tea is made from the top two leaves and buds of a shrub, Camellia sinensis, of the family Theaceace and the order Theales. This order consists of 40 genera of trees or shrubs that have evergreen leaves, flowers with five sepal or leaf-like structures and petals. The genus Camellia consists of 80 species of East Asian evergreen shrubs and trees. Besides the leaves, other ingredients may be added to create special scents or flavors during the drying process, such as jasmine, flowers, or fruits.

Green tea is very healthy. Just keep in mind that our diet is habit forming. The more we adapt to something (like a specific diet), the more habit forming it becomes.