• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Believing is Seeing

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Administrator
Staff Member
Believing is Seeing - June 05, 2007

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:18

The old saying goes, "Seeing is believing." But for those with faith in God, believing is seeing. With faith, we see God in the world every day. As nature explodes during this month of June, one would have to have a heart of stone and a lack of imagination not to recognize the hand of a loving creator. The older I get, the more I appreciate life and our summer days - beauty we could not begin to manufacture or buy at any price. Or as a famous poet said, "Only God can make a tree."

So, with faith, we can see God in nature. But believers also see the world in a special way because we have faith in a God who loves us and cares about our lives. Without God, I simply could not explain the joy I find in the smiles of my grandchildren, the pleasure I derive from relaxing on a boat, the emotion I feel at the joy of a loved one who achieves a dream or how I still feel about my wife after more than 50 years of marriage. Without faith in a personal, creator God, the universe is a meaningless place.

Atheists argue there is no God. Several have even written their views in recent best-sellers. These authors are highly educated, rational thinkers who cannot justify their belief in science with a belief in God. They believe only what they can see and explain logically. Others, as 2 Corinthians reminds us, may focus their lives on the material - trying to find meaning and purpose in their earthly treasures.

Faith is a leap, an admission that we are not capable of comprehending everything in the universe. Believers cannot prove the existence of God, but through faith they are convinced God lives in their hearts.

So the Bible asks us to fix our eyes on what is unseen. God reveals himself in nature, in our lives and in his word, but we can't see him in a way that we could prove his existence to an atheist. That takes faith, the kind of faith that helps us fix our eyes on the unseen as our goal and not the things we can see that are temporary and too often demand our attention.

Believing is seeing. I've succeeded in many material ways that could hinder fixing my eyes on what is most important - what is unseen and eternal. Without faith I am lost. My Christian faith is the foundation on which all else of my life rests. I believe that genuine success depends on an unshakable foundation of Christian faith. And I'm at peace knowing I have fixed my eyes on what is unseen.

Rich DeVos is the former chairman of Gospel Communications. He is also the author of "Hope From My Heart: Ten Lessons for Life," co-founder of Amway Corp., and owner and chairman of the NBA's Orlando Magic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NetChaplain Sermons & Podcasts 0
rizen1 Devotionals 0
Chad Devotionals 2