Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

1. Prayer Requests

New Community Design

Thinking about doing a refresh design for Talk Jesus community here, possibly using a different software platform as well to replace the current. It'll still remain a "forum" software nonetheless. Please vote at this poll and share your feedback.

View Poll

Dismiss Notice
  2. Featured Thread

There is a lot of noise, lots of "religions" and beliefs out there to confuse anyone. But, Jesus is real. He loves you, He's ready to forgive you for all your sins and make your heart His dwelling place. Read about God's characteristics and attributes and get to know the real Jesus today.

How do I accept Jesus as my Savior?
    How To Be Friends With God
    Why believe in Christianity?
    The Attributes of God

View the Seeking Jesus forum

Dismiss Notice
  3. Prayer Requests

Facing Our Loneliness

Everyone has lonely moments in life, but when loneliness begins to define our lives, it causes serious problems. We compromise our principles to try to fill the emotional emptiness. We choose behavior that harms our health, relationships, and finances. The consequences can be devastating. Learn how God desires to fulfill every longing you have for meaningful connection.

View This Discussion

Dismiss Notice

'BELIEVE'

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by YODHEYWRITER, Feb 16, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. To believe seems like such an easy concept. We believe each day we sit down that our seat will hold our weight. To believe in God on the other hand can seem like a very difficult concept at times in our lives, and yet many Christians today say that it is through belief that we are saved and they are correct in my opinion, but if we never have the faith to hold our weight in God’s arms then do we truly believe? John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” This seems simple enough, so we can move on now, however, James 2:19 says, “the devils also believe, and tremble.” Will these devils that God cast out of heaven have ever lasting life as well? It seems that this idea of ‘belief’ has more weight than we realize.

2.5 billion People in the world are Christians, so we can assume that 2.5 billion people ‘believe’ that Jesus is the son of God. There were over 600,000 people over the age of 20 that God saved from Egypt yet only two of them made it to the Promised Land; Caleb and Joshua. Moses was God’s right hand man and Moses did not even get to enter into the Promised Land. What did Caleb and Joshua do differently that they were allowed to enter into God’s Promised Land? They believed! At least 600,000 people saw the miracle of the Red Sea parting, the manna and quail appearing from heaven and yet they still did not trust God. Moses made one mistake in the wilderness and he was not allowed into the Promised Land. Are we to assume that we are any better? We are not any better! Without our own ‘belief’ in Jesus we too could suffer the same fate. Now I believe in an amazing God that ultimately will extend His hand to all and forgive us for our iniquities but I will tell everyone to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

We must learn from the Israelites’ mistakes and our own mistakes to figure out exactly what God means to believe in Him. Hebrews 4:11 says that we must labour into belief. But I thought it was by belief alone? Is it by belief alone that the chair will hold our weight or is it by the action that we take by sitting in the chair? But what labour must we do? Hebrews 4:12 answers this, “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Jesus says, “If you love me keep my commandments,” John 14:15. James says in chapter 2 verse 24, “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.” For faith without works is dead! (James 2:17)

It is our duty that we must trust and labour into belief that God will provide our every need. Every thought that we have, we must take hold of it and convert it to the will of God. II Corinthians 10:5, “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.” We must have faith like Abraham to hear and to do just as God has asked and for our thoughts to not hesitate for one moment that God will not provide for us. It is so easy for us to lose belief and to curse our circumstance but God has put us here for a reason and we must trust in Him in the good times and the bad. The Hebrew word for ‘believe’ makes up of three letters; Aleph, Mem, and Vav. The letters mean: strength, chaos and works; so basically believe means: to have strength during chaos to do works; good works according to the Word of God because doing bad works shows our belief is not in God but in darkness. Remember to pray without ceasing, (I Thessalonians 5:17), and remember that you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you, (Phillipians 4:13)! Remember that if we choose to labour for our belief in Jesus then he will give us rest! (Matthew 11:28)

I pray that anything I have written that is not the will of God that it falls dead at your sight and does not bear bad fruit.

amadeus2 likes this.
  2. @YODHEYWRITER
    Some people may argue the point, but I see faith as being equal to belief in the things of God.

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17

The question than which may come to some minds is, What is the Word of God? [What I see it as being is not the same as what some people believe it to be.]

If we do "hear" the Word of God, will not our faith [belief] increase?

YODHEYWRITER likes this.
  3. James 1:22, "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."

All the men of faith talked about Hebrews 11 had to do something in order to show their faith, such as Abraham had to offer his son Isaac for a sacrifice. I believe that our faith is strengthened when we hear the Word of God, but we must also implement the words to our walk in life or thus 'faith without works is dead'. Our belief is in direct correlation with our faith. If we trust God's word then we immediately believe that it is the right thing to apply to our lives and we do it without hesitation but if we hear God's word and we question if we should listen to the words then our belief is not fully in God.

Sue J Love and Marek like this.
  4. Yes, we must go beyond simple belief in accord with the logical deductions of men. We must move, or be moved, to where our beliefs are part of what we live and what we are. What we read in those verses called the beatitudes go to describing what or where we are to be. For example:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matt 5: 3

The kingdom of heaven is ours when and if we are poor in spirit.

"Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted." Matt 5:4

We shall truly be comforted when we truly mourn as God understands mourning.

"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth." Matt 5:5

We shall inherit the earth [which earth is this?] when are really meek as Jesus was meek.

Etc.

Give God the glory!

YODHEYWRITER likes this.
  5. I agree that we must move beyond simple belief, that is defined as mental assent...as in "I believe in God"...Here you're simply saying "Yes. God exists" Belief here is a noun....or an adjective?
    The 'belief' that we must get into is not just mental assent but trust....Belief here is not a noun, which names an emotion or a thought, but rather its a verb. Belief becomes an action word...You lay your life at Jesus' feet and expect that He will save you. This type of belief is faith...Or faith is this type of belief....
    By the Empowering PRESENCE are we saved, through an active trust in Him...and that not of yourselves....The empowering PRESENCE of God is what saves you because you chose to lean on Him....Your faith/belief was the act that God responded to.

Sue J Love and YODHEYWRITER like this.
  6. I have known or understood for many years that the faith to believe in Jesus Christ (in God) is a gift from God (Eph. 2:8-9), but a gift we must receive/accept. Recently I gained a greater understanding of what this means, that we are gifted with faith. The Greek word for faith is "pistis." Definition: "faith, belief, trust, confidence; fidelity, faithfulness." That says a lot right there. But, then the definition is expanded to say this:

pístis (from 3982/peithô, "persuade, be persuaded") – properly, persuasion (be persuaded, come to trust); faith. Faith (4102/pistis) is always a gift from God, and never something that can be produced by people. In short, 4102/pistis ("faith") for the believer is "God's divine persuasion" – and therefore distinct from human belief (confidence), yet involving it. The Lord continuously births faith in the yielded believer so they can know what He prefers, i.e. the persuasion of His will (1 Jn 5:4). Strong's Greek: 4102. πίστις (pistis) -- faith, faithfulness

Basically, God gives us the faith to believe, and the way he does this is he divinely persuades (or convinces) us of his will for our lives. If we are convinced, we believe, and if we believe, we act upon that belief. If I believe, with God-given persuasion, that Jesus died to deliver me out of slavery to sin, then I submit to him, and I allow him to transform my heart away from sin and to God, to follow my Lord in obedience. Daily I then surrender and submit to his will for my life, not perfectly, but consistently, intently, purposefully. By the Spirit I am putting off the deeds of the flesh and I am walking in the Spirit. Again, this doesn't mean I do this perfectly, but daily I pray for guidance, direction, and for listening ears to hear what God has for me and then for the power of God in my life to obey what he shows me. I believe this is what this "Pistis" faith is about.

YODHEYWRITER likes this.