• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Believe it or not

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Now when [He] rose early on the first [day] of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons. She went and told those who had been with Him, as they mourned and wept. And when they heard that He was alive and had been seen by her, they did not believe. After that, He appeared in another form to two of them as they walked and went into the country. And they went and told [it] to the rest, [but] they did not believe them either. Later He appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen. Mark 16:9-14

In the hardness of their hearts, the disciples dismissed the eyewitness testimonies of Jesus' resurrection. They had ignored both the Law and the promises of Jesus. The Law stated that the testimony of two or three was reliable enough to convict a person of a crime (Deuteronomy 19:15). Later, Paul used the same principle in the church to protect elders from accusation (1 Timothy 5:19).

Then, of course, there were the three years spent with Jesus and His repeated claims that He would rise from the dead. No wonder the Eleven's first face-to-face meeting with Jesus started with a rebuke.

Believing is a choice. Are you listening to the testimonies around you?

Prayer: Father, open my heart to believe the testimony of those You send into my life. Help me to hear You through others.