• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Becoming like Jesus

Loyal
All through the new testament there is a theme....

Rom 8:29; For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;

We are supposed to be conformed into the image of Jesus... we are supposed to be like Him.

2 Cor 3:18; But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Col 3:10; and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him—

This doesn't mean we become God, or the creator of the universe. We become more like Jesus in His actions,
His thoughts, His compassion.

1 Jn 2:6; the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

We should "walk" in the same manner Jesus did.

1 Cor 11:1; Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.

We should be imitators of Christ.

Eph 4:24; and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.

The word Christian means "follower of Christ". If Jesus is the Christ then we should be followers of Jesus.
We should do what He did, live like He lived. Obey like He obeyed. Love like He loved.

Jesus called himself the "son of man" more than any other name. Virtually everything Jesus did, He did in a way we could also do it. There were some godly things He did to be sure. But when it came to how to love people, have compassion for people, servitude, and obedience to the Father... we should be just like Jesus.

Jesus never sinned. That may be beyond most of us... but it is something to strive for. To be like Jesus, to be conformed in His image. To take of the "old self" and be "clothed with Christ". ( Gal 3:27; )

Believing in Jesus is one thing. It's a good start. You have to believe in someone before you start following them. (Otherwise, why would you follow them?) You have to know about them, what they did, how they lived before you can start doing the same things.

A relationship is important, if you don't really know Him. If you don't really know His heart, then how can you be like Him? The thing that was most important to to Jesus was honoring the Father, doing whatever the Father asked HImto, and whatever would give God the Father glory. I dare anyone to show me anywhere in the Bible where anything else was more important than that one thing to Jesus.

..and yet, we are supposed to be like Him. We are supposedly being "conformed" to His image.

We are supposed to "have the mind of Christ".

1 Cor 2:16; For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.

If we are supposed to be like Jesus.... loving others and having compassion for others. Obeying the Father no matter what and seeking to honor and glorify Him above all things... how are you doing?

Do you really meet the definition of the "Christian" (follower) or are you simply someone who "believes" in Jesus?

Loyal
The main purpose the of the Holy Spirit

John 16:7; "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.
John 16:8; "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment;
John 16:9; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me;
John 16:10; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me;
John 16:11; and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.
John 16:12; "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
John 16:13; "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.
John 16:14; "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.

The Holy does a number of things.. some (but not all) of those things are listed in this passage.

He convicts the world of sin.... ... and righteous... ... and judgment...
It's interesting here, Jesus says I have other things to tell you about this.. (the Holy Spirit coming)... but you can't understand them now...

... But when He comes (the Holy Spirit) He will guide you into all truth. Jesus knew they couldn't understand everything without the Holy Spirit.
[the Holy Spirit] will glorify me. What does the Holy Spirit do? Glorifies Jesus, just as Jesus glorifies the Father.

The Bible says our spirit will "bear witness" with others who have the same spirit. The same "mind of Christ... those people who are the same as you...
who are "being conformed" into the image of Jesus.

Rom 8:16; The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

It is "the Spirit" that testifies... that we are the children of God!!!

I have to say here... there are people, (even some here on TJ) who claim to be Christians, but they certainly do not "have the mind of Christ".
Their main purpose is not to glorify the Father, or obey Him in any capacity. They say they are Christians, but they do do not walk in the manner He walked. ( 1 Jn 2:6; )
They say they are followers of Jesus, but they have no love or compassion for other people.

Sometimes our Spirit can bear witness with them in a supernatural way. There is peace, a calmness, a distinct like minded-ness.
But sometimes it doesn't have to be all that super-natural... the evidence is plain before us.

When you point out some of these things to them... they will often say something like... "you can't judge me... or you don't know me"...
No... but I know Jesus... and I don't have to judge you. The Spirit already has.

When people know Jesus.... I mean... REALLY know Him... you know it. In your heart, and in your Spirit.

Active
If you believe someone you will follow them. Jesus asks us to follow Him and walk in his ways.

You cant say you believe someone and then go and walk the other way! That doesnt make sense but people can be doubleminded which is annoying. Its the people that not only say 'dont judge me' they might say 'yes BUT' well 'yes but' just basically means they have reservations and lame excuses for not following Him. It shows they just dont want to..stubborness and pride are the main things.

Loyal
But can we say we are a Christian without becoming "like" Him. (Mormon's take this to the extreme, that we will be like Him and become a god).