• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Bare-Bones Faith

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
That you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing [Him], being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; Colossians 1:10

“One! Two! Three! Four!” With a count-off that heralded the punk-rock revolution, the Ramones hit the stage for the first time on August 16, 1974, at CBGB’s in Queens, New York. Seeking an antidote both for Woodstock’s hippie-dippie psychedelia and the bloated excesses of mid-70s corporate rock, the foursome—clad in black leather jackets—hit the stage with a fast, furious wall of sound that struck in two-minute bursts.

The band’s DIY ethos inspired a generation to get in the garage and start playing—whether they knew their instruments or not. Skill set aside, the Ramones took a deliberate approach to their art. Drummer Tommy Ramone described their philosophy; “Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance.”

That’s a useful motto for Christians, too. Look past trends and movements and refocus on what following Jesus is about. Pray for a wise heart to know Him better. Then, as He leads, remove anything that muddles the living water—worldly relationships, churchy jargon, legalistic attitudes.

Stripped-down, bare-bones faith follows Jesus’ lead: Jesus sought God’s will first and always. He embraced society’s outcasts, healed broken lives and hearts, taught God’s Word, and prepared leaders. He didn’t put up with hypocrisy but served rather than judged. Take a fresh look at Jesus’ priorities, eliminating the unnecessary and focusing on the substance.

About a year ago in June or July...as I was walking from my bedroom to my morning sitting room, I heard in my heart (out of the blue) these words-
"Bare Bones Faith". I'd never heard that before. I have since tried to figure out exactly what the Holy Spirit wants me to learn about those words. What you wrote, helps me. Without faith, it is impossible to please God. Hebrews 11:6