• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Baptism revisted.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Matt 3:13; Then Jesus *arrived from Galilee at the Jordan coming to John, to be baptized by him.
Matt 3:14; But John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?”
Matt 3:15; But Jesus answering said to him, “Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he *permitted Him.
Matt 3:16; After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him,

Why was it necessary for Jesus to be baptized "to fulfill all righteousness"?

It is a theme in the New testament that John the Baptist came to "prepare a way" for Jesus.
(Matt 11:10; Mark 1:2; Luke 1:76; Luke 7:27; etc... )

John baptized for repentance ( Matt 3:11; Mark 1:4; Acts 2:38; Acts 13:24; Acts 19:4; ) so the argument is... is repentance required to "prepare a way for Jesus" to come into your heart?

Jesus asks the Pharisee's a question about John the Baptists's ministry.

Matt 21:24; Jesus said to them, “I will also ask you one thing, which if you tell Me, I will also tell you by what authority I do these things.
Matt 21:25; The baptism of John was from what source, from heaven or from men?” And they began reasoning among themselves, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ He will say to us, ‘Then why did you not believe him?’ Matt 21:26; But if we say, ‘From men,’ we fear the people; for they all regard John as a prophet.”

The same question applies today. Is baptism from heaven, or from men? ( Mark 11:30; )

Jesus told his disciples to baptize others. ( Matt 28:19; )
And of course Jesus Himself was baptized "in order to fulfill all righteousness".
Luke 3:21; Mark 1:9; Matt 3:16;

In John 4:1-2; we see that Jesus's disciples even baptized more people than John the Baptist.
Some take verses like 1 Pet 3:21; and Mark 16:16; to say that baptism is required to save you.

But even if baptism isn't a requirement. Why would anyone not want to be baptized?
Is there any down-side to being baptized? I know the thief on the cross is often used
as a reference to say baptism isn't required. (Of course he didn't really have an opportunity)
but for those of us that have had plenty of opportunities, is there any excuse not to?

I was baptized many years ago. I didn't really give any thought as to whether it was required.
It was just something Jesus did... and if He is our example, why wouldn't I want to follow that example?

Active

RJ

Is there any down-side to being baptized?
None what so ever, except, of course, if you are taught or believe it is necessary towards your salvation, then, those like that can be held in bondage to several truths!