• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Bad situations

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Jdg 14:1; Then Samson went down to Timnah and saw a woman in Timnah, one of the daughters of the Philistines.
Jdg 14:2; So he came back and told his father and mother, "I saw a woman in Timnah, one of the daughters of the Philistines; now therefore, get her for me as a wife."
Jdg 14:3; Then his father and his mother said to him, "Is there no woman among the daughters of your relatives, or among all our people, that you go to take a wife from the uncircumcised Philistines?" But Samson said to his father, "Get her for me, for she looks good to me."
Jdg 14:4; However, his father and mother did not know that it was of the LORD, for He was seeking an occasion against the Philistines. Now at that time the Philistines were ruling over Israel.

As I was reading about Habakkuk and the Chaldeans, I was reminded of Samson. There was a period of time between some of the prophets that God had people called "judges" doing things for the Israelites.
It seems the difference between a prophet and a judge, is that one gives the word of God to the people (and does miracles, which validates his position as a prophet) and the other judges either Israel or the people coming against against them. Such was the case with Samson.

God was about to do something about the Philistines which were oppressing His people. You would think Samson wouldn't want to marry a Philistine woman, especially they were the ones controlling the Israelites at this time.

... but God uses this situation.

This also makes me think of Joseph, who I did a study on not long ago. His brother sold him into slavery, but yet God used to situation to take care of the Jews. Joseph tells his brothers....

Gen 50:19; But Joseph said to them, "Do not be afraid, for am I in God's place?
Gen 50:20; "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive.

It seems that God uses "bad situations" of either our own choosing or someone else's choosing to move many times in the Bible.

I would think that Meshach, Shadrach and Abednego being the furnace could be thought of as "a bad situation". But yet God used that situation.

Whenever we are in a bad situation, it may be because we made a bad choice or a bad decision... but it also may be that God has a purpose for us to be there.

Active
Hmm sometimes He wants christians to be salt and light in dark places. He wouldnt send us into bad situations if He doesnt have a purpose for it. Plus he can bring good out of bad. Think of missionaries why would they go into poverty stricken places where the people arent believers or even hostile.

Samson is interesting cos on the surface it seems he totally ignored Gods statute but God used his liking for foreign woman for His purposes. However I dont know that Samson himself was actually aware of this.
Samson is listed as a man of faith in Hebrews though. So did Samson know what would happen