• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Avoiding The Traps Of Power And Money

Staff Member
In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Acts 20:35 ESV

Paul recognized that power and money could become the two greatest temptations among the Ephesian church. He shared his example, and the example of Jesus, noting that he worked hard to provide for his own financial needs, and he did not hold his position over anyone.

Most importantly, Paul placed himself under the same teachings as everyone else. There were no exceptions: hard work and generosity could save the Ephesian church and its leaders from the traps of power and money.

What do you value? Are you driven to protect your money? Are you jealous of the position or influence of others? Today’s passage is an opportunity to examine your own life in order to identify these root causes of so many conflicts and division.

Power and money drive people to make bad choices and then rationalize them in retrospect. By committing to hard work, rather than demanding status, and by sharing your money generously with others, you’ll enjoy the fruitful blessings of humility and generosity. There is freedom when you let go of the very things that may be holding you back.

Prayer: Jesus, I give you thanks for the many blessings I enjoy and celebrate today. Help me to avoid the desires for power and money, which can never be satisfied.