• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Avoid Drunkenness

Staff Member
Wine [is] a mocker, Strong drink [is] a brawler, And whoever is led astray by it is not wise. Proverbs 20:1 NKJV

The consumption of alcoholic drink is a matter of sometimes intense debate in today’s Christian community. Some believe that Christians should abstain completely, while others believe that God allows His people to drink in moderation.

No matter where you fall in that debate, it’s important to understand that the Bible doesn’t forbid the consumption of wine and other alcoholic drink but repeatedly condemns drunkenness as sin.

Today’s scripture verse offers strong counsel against being “led astray” by alcoholic drink. Sadly, many are led astray, leading to ruined lives, ruined careers, ruined relationships, and a ruined witness for Jesus. These aren’t the marks of a man living a steadfast life of faith, are they?

If you want to live unshakably in all areas of your live—especially your life of faith—then you’ll need to use wisdom when it comes to the consumption of alcoholic beverages. As today’s verse warns, the abuse of alcohol will always lead you to places God doesn’t intend for you to go. Consequently, it isn’t an unwise decision to abstain completely.

Prayer: Lord, Your written Word tells me it’s not wise to engage in the excessive consumption of alcohol. I’ve seen examples of how true that is! May I never dishonor You (or harm my family or friends) through drinking.

Active
Wine [is] a mocker, Strong drink [is] a brawler, And whoever is led astray by it is not wise. Proverbs 20:1 NKJV

The consumption of alcoholic drink is a matter of sometimes intense debate in today’s Christian community. Some believe that Christians should abstain completely, while others believe that God allows His people to drink in moderation.

No matter where you fall in that debate, it’s important to understand that the Bible doesn’t forbid the consumption of wine and other alcoholic drink but repeatedly condemns drunkenness as sin.

Today’s scripture verse offers strong counsel against being “led astray” by alcoholic drink. Sadly, many are led astray, leading to ruined lives, ruined careers, ruined relationships, and a ruined witness for Jesus. These aren’t the marks of a man living a steadfast life of faith, are they?

If you want to live unshakably in all areas of your live—especially your life of faith—then you’ll need to use wisdom when it comes to the consumption of alcoholic beverages. As today’s verse warns, the abuse of alcohol will always lead you to places God doesn’t intend for you to go. Consequently, it isn’t an unwise decision to abstain completely.

Prayer: Lord, Your written Word tells me it’s not wise to engage in the excessive consumption of alcohol. I’ve seen examples of how true that is! May I never dishonor You (or harm my family or friends) through drinking.
Deuteronomy 14:26 - so I agree. Though I do not drink any (except at the Lord's Table) it is drunkedness that is the sin God desires we be careful of.