• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

As true born again Christians must or should we name and shame heretics?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:12)

As true born again Christians who believe and obey the uncorrupted Gospel of the Lord Jesus and Salvation through his shed blood?
As a duty to Almighty God's, both name and shame obviously corrupt heretics?

Be Blessed
Alan McDougall

Active
As true born again Christians who believe and obey the uncorrupted Gospel of the Lord Jesus and Salvation through his shed blood?
As a duty to Almighty God's, both name and shame obviously corrupt heretics?

Be Blessed
Alan McDougall
Hi Alan,
our Lord calls us to love our enemies, bless those that curse us, do good to those who hate us, and pray for those who mistreat us and persecute us. I have found that prayer often changes situations, but to name and shame brings, to say the least, hurt and discomfort and rather that cause a person to look kindly on Christians, would alienate them.

Loyal
We Are to share the Gospel unto salvation with all who will listen.

A person Could always share 'a different perspective' using God's Word to share the truth without being negative.

Active
I have often read people's narratives that border on Heresy, but it is normaly born out of ignorance and the desire to appear knowledgable. With reasoned argument these misunderstandings can be used to enhance a debate and sprinkled with a tad of love can leave the opponent with their dignity and at the same time expand their understanding.

Active
You have to be very careful, when approaching terms like , heresy, heretics, Apostasy, because like "Trevor" has said, could be born out of ignorance, illiteracy or handicapped, by many different reasons, even a persons environmental up bringing. "In-error" would be the proper term. For the landscape I describe. And for the upper level, I personal think are for those christians who are schooled and gifted in the field of "Biblical Apologetics" They know their stuff, and are a force to be reckon with, with great humility. And most of them do not read translations for study, they read, and for study, the "Real McCoy"!

Loyal
And for the upper level, I personal think are for those christians who are schooled and gifted in the field of "Biblical Apologetics" They know their stuff, and are a force to be reckon with, with great humility.
I agree, bit it doesn't always have to be for apologetics.

Still you do make a good point here. There is a difference between being a new Christian and making a theological mistake, and a seasoned theologian who has read through the Bible many times
and still teaches a spirit of error. I believe only one of those two people qualifies as a heretic.

Very few (if any) brand new Christians are experts on everything in the Bible. I expect them to make a few mistakes, and have a few questions about their beliefs.
But after a while, they should be growing, studying, learning, and maturing in the word... in "the Faith" as it were. Paul says at some point we should move from just milk to meat.

But there are people (cults with millions of followers) who have been told and shown the truth over and over again, but they refuse to accept it. More than that.. many are teaching these things
right here on TalkJesus... everyday.

Loyal
I'm concerned with a comment made recently concerning the field of Biblical apologetics. All that really is IS knowing what a person believes and what their beliefs are based on. I became interested in doctrinal apologetics some years ago. We Need to know what we believe and be able to express that to others. That's how people have conversation. No one's beliefs are 'perfect'. There Are those who interpret 'apologetics' as a person 'apologizing' to others for their Bible - centered beliefs. I don't see why Biblical apologetics people would be a force to be reckoned with. Maybe people feel intimidated when talking about their beliefs. A lot of people grow up with the concept that the Bible / God's Word / is too complicated to understand. But we Are to be growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. And that can be done by reading an NAS , NKJ , ESV.

Active
Ok, let me explain myself concerning the "field" of "Biblical Apologetics". I mean it is a "specialty" or a christian that is gifted by God in that practice and most of the time they "hold" the office of "Elder" in the Institutional church". They are learned in the Hebrew and Greek languages. and they Know the whole Bible by memory in different translations as well. And they are knowledgable in other "religions" and languages for in which they debate and are engage in the defense of the faith or they contend for the faith that once was delivered to the saints. These people are on top level, debating top levells of other religions. Remember we are commanded to take the Gospel to the whole world. [all levels]. Believe me, These guys are heavy! They have to be. We are in Warfare! And sometimes we are required to engage. and you must be well equip and skilled in handling the Word of God. And they can go to places we cannot go. They accept invitations, to present "the Gospel of Jesus Christ' and it is not in "Monologue form" but "Dialogue form". You just got to believe what i say, is to going to get with these people. And if that person converts he help converts others in their regions.

Now i will say this: Every christian should be in the "defense of the faith" and be skilled at doing it and well equipped with the knowledge of God.
We must realize also, sometimes a "Peter" must go to "Cornelius"s house". And Paul must go to "Rome" but wanting to go to "Spain". and "Philip" has to stand up in a "Chariot" beside a Ethiopian eunuch. But each one had to be well equip for a precise proclamation. It sometimes have to be in "Dialogue' not Monologue".

Loyal
There Are some very well-known Apologists. One of them recently passed away. But not every apologist is a reknown theologist -- far from it. And mostly Not. And I've heard some Elders of churches that are very hesitant in Scripture. And no one needs to have entire Bible memorized in different translations as well. That's going Way over-board. You make it sound like the average person can't possibly know enough Bible to share what they believe. Our salvation is The most important decision we can make and that is something we can share with anyone who want to listen. And we Need to know what we believe and why we believe it. A short answer compared to a theological dissertation on particular subjects is fine.

It Needs to be a dialogue and not a monologue. Some people just like to hear themselves talk. The sound of their own voice.

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
Do not stop the little children, let them come to me for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Loyal
1Pe 3:15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,
1Pe 3:16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
We are to love one another as Christ loves us.

We are to love our neighbour as ourselves.

Name and shame does not fit with our Lord's teaching and should not even be considered.

Are we perfect, no.

Our Lord warned, we will reap what we sow.

We are to go in peace. Jesus said, my peace I give to you, not as the world gives I give you peace.

May the peace of God which passers all understanding, keep our hearts and minds the knowledge and Love of God, and His Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

Name and shame does not show the peace of Christ in us. Name and shame stirs up more harm than good. The question that answers this clearly is to ask ourselves, what would jesus do?

Shalom