• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Are You Like Abigail?

Staff Member
"that this will be no grief to you, nor offense of heart to my lord, either that you have shed blood without cause, or that my lord has avenged himself. But when the LORD has dealt well with my lord, then remember your maidservant." 1 Samuel 25:31 NKJV

If Abigail held public c office today, she probably would be suited best for secretary of state.

Living with an ill-tempered husband, Abigail had plenty of opportunity to sharpen her conflict resolution skills. When Abigail heard that David and his men were on their way to take revenge on her husband and household, it probably wasn’t the first time she had to think fast to keep her household safe.

Fortunately, Abigail wasn’t just a quick thinker but also a wise communicator. She knew when to speak and when to keep quiet. Most importantly, she knew how to speak to the heart of a man of God (see Galatians 6:1 and James 5:19-20). David dropped his vow of vengeance immediately when confronted with Abigail’s appeal.

What if Bathsheba had responded to David as Abigail had? Bathsheba’s simple, “Don’t do it, David,” might have diverted him from another sinful course that took the life of Bathsheba’s godly and courageous husband, Uriah.

A good and courageous man appeals to his fellow men for their good and God’s glory.

Prayer: Lord, You want me to appeal to other believers to resist sinful choices and continue to live for You. Give me wisdom to make one such appeal today.