• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Christ centered community forums.

Join over 10,000 worldwide members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to night mode (or back to light/default theme) simply click on the "Site Menu" icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

Are You Justified By The Law?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:3)

Loyal Member
How can we as believer be certain we are not allowing ourselves to be deceived by the devil, in keeping the law of justification like the Galatians? How can we be sure we are not justifying ourselves by the law? The Galatians started out believing they were saved by faith, and somehow were deceived and reverted back to seeking Righteousness through the justification of the law (Gal.3:1-3; 5:1-5).

Before faith came (Jesus Christ), man was kept under the law. The Jews were kept under the Law of Moses, and the Gentiles under the nature of the law of sin and death. Jehovah God imputed the Law of sin and death unto man because of Adam’s transgression (Rom. 5:12). All men were kept locked up to the sin nature as prisoners until the coming of Jesus Christ should be revealed (Gal. 3:23). The Law of Moses was a man’s schoolmaster to “bring them unto Christ,” that they might be “justified” by faith in Christ (Gal. 3:24). However, after Christ has come, man is no longer justified/under the schoolmaster (Gal.3:25).

What are the indicators that show believers are being deceived and allowing themselves to be “justified” by the “law” in ignorance? The only way we can understand anything is through the light of God’s word. What does scripture say about it?

1Jo 3:4 Whosoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Jam 2:9
But if you have respect to persons, you commit sin, and are convinced” of the law as transgressors.

Galatians 3 has revealed we are no longer justified by the law as believers; we are now justified by Jesus Christ. The schoolmaster imputed sin; judged and condemned man because of his act contrary to the law. But scripture has told believers we are no longer under/justified by the schoolmaster. The law cannot impute sin unto believers; so how can we sin? God is not imputing sin unto man in Christ, and there is no sin in Christ (Rom. 4:8;1Joh. 3:5; 2Cor. 5:19).Does a believer commit "unfruitful works," yes. Unfruitful works do not separate man from God. Who shall separate us from the love of God (Rom. 8:35).

Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law says, it says to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

G5267 (guilty)
hupodikos
From G5259 and G1349; under sentence, that is, (by implication) condemned: - guilty.

The law sentenced man to condemnation for the sin they’d commit while justified by the law. In Christ we are not condemned according to scripture (Rom. 8:1). It is only by the law that there is the knowledge of sin. If a person is not justified by the law they are free from the law of sin and death as well as the guilt that goes with it (Rom. 8:1, 2).

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the “deeds of the law” there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Let us as believers not forfeit our free gift through the “lack of faith” as the Galatians were warned. Receive with meekness the words that are able to save your soul (Jam. 1:21). It is only by unbelief that believers can give up their Eternal Promise of salvation.

Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Saving faith is believing the record that God gave of His Son (1Joh. 5:10, 11).

2Ti 2:11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
2Ti 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
2Ti 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abides faithful: he cannot deny himself.

There is only “ONE WAY” for a man to “SIN” and that is by the justification of the law.

Loyal Member
How can we as believer be certain we are not allowing ourselves to be deceived by the devil, in keeping the law of justification like the Galatians?
The book of Galatians is about ceremonial law, (circumcision), not moral law.

Gal 1:6; I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel;
Gal 1:7; which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.
Gal 1:8; But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!

Gal 2:3; But not even Titus, who was with me, though he was a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised.
Gal 2:4; But it was because of the false brethren secretly brought in, who had sneaked in to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, in order to bring us into bondage.

Gal 2:16; nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.

What are the "works of the law" Paul is talking about here?

Gal 3:3; Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

It has something to do with being "perfected by the flesh" (something you do to your fleshly body). Paul gets specific here.

Gal 5:1; It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.
Gal 5:2; Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you.

Gal 5:3; And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law.
Gal 5:4; You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Gal 5:5; For we through the Spirit, by faith, are waiting for the hope of righteousness.
Gal 5:6; For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.

Gal 5:11; But I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why am I still persecuted? Then the stumbling block of the cross has been abolished.
Gal 5:12; I wish that those who are troubling you would even mutilate themselves.
Gal 5:13; For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

Gal 5:14; For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
(Jesus adds that we have to love God also)

Why would Paul send this letter with a commandment in this chapter, after telling they aren't under the law?

Lev 19:18; 'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.

Because the commandments aren't part of the ceremonial law.

Gal 5:18; But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. ...... (and ONLY "if" )
Gal 5:19; Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20; idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
Gal 5:21; envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22; But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Gal 5:23; gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
Gal 5:24; Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Gal 5:25; If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

Notice the two lists here.... spirit and "flesh". Those who are practicing the deeds of the flesh do not inherit the kingdom of God.
If you are practicing sexual immorality, impurity, idolatry, sorcery, anger, envy, drunkenness... you don't inherit the kingdom of God.
Notice how many of the things in this list are also "commandments".

Exod 20:13; "You shall not murder.
Exod 20:14; "You shall not commit adultery.
Exod 20:15; "You shall not steal.

adultery is a type of sexual immorality.

Exod 20:17; "You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

Coveting is the same thing as envy.

Paul is saying the same thing in Romans.

Rom 13:8; Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9; For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Rom 13:10; Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Back to Galatians

Gal 6:7; Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.
Gal 6:8; For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

Paul ends this letter with a summary about what the whole letter is about.

Gal 6:12; Those who desire to make a good showing in the flesh try to compel you to be circumcised, simply so that they will not be persecuted for the cross of Christ.
Gal 6:13; For those who are circumcised do not even keep the Law themselves, but they desire to have you circumcised so that they may boast in your flesh.
Gal 6:14; But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
Gal 6:15; For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. (this is a repeat of Gal 5:16)

He started off talking about the gospel of Christ

Gal 1:6; I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel;
Gal 1:7; which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.

What are some of the things that are a part of the "gospel of Christ"?

Matt 19:17; And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into eternal life, keep the commandments."
Mark 10:19; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"
John 14:15; "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
John 14:21; "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."
John 15:10; "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

Even Paul, in 1st Corinthians gets back to circumcision again, but he adds...

1 Cor 7:19; Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.
(see Gal 5:6; and Gal 5:16; )

Loyal Member
The gospel of Christ was taught by Jesus Himself. A lot of this is in the sermon on the mount. Some of this is a lot like the original commandments... but He changes them slightly... they get harder.

Matt 5:18; "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
Matt 5:19; "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matt 5:21; "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.'
Matt 5:22; "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

Matt 5:27; "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';
Matt 5:28; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Matt 5:33; "Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT MAKE FALSE VOWS, BUT SHALL FULFILL YOUR VOWS TO THE LORD.'
Matt 5:34; "But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God,

Matt 5:43; "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'
Matt 5:44; "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Loyal Member
@B-A-C,
Seeking to be made Righteous/Justified by anything other than Jesus Christ is contrary to the Gospel. The Galatians were not keeping the First Commandment of the Gospel, which is to love God. This is a moral law. I'm not going to address everything you spoke on because it's not secessary. Whether the Galatians were keeping the Ceremonial Laws, the Sacrificial Laws or the Moral Laws it doesn't matter; they were seeking to be justified or made Righteous by the law. You also confirmed this in the verses you posted.

The point of my post is to show that believers, as the Galatians, are being decived. They are aligning themselves "under" the law and not by the Gospel of Grace. Again, you posted the scripture Gal. 2:16 so you are not ignorant of this fact.

Galatians 2:16
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

When a person believes they've sinned, it's because they believe the law has told them they've sinned; Christ did not. This is the deception (Rom. 3:19; Rom. 4:8; 2Cor. 5:19).

The writers on this forum are teaching unless a man's "works" or "actions" are aligned with the law perfectly, they are not Righteous, but commit sin and are sinners. You and I know that only by the law is the knowledge of sin because that's what scriptures teach. You know the only way a man/believer can sin is if they are justified or made Righteous by the law. You know that sin is the transgression of the law. If a man sins they transgress the law. Believers are justified by faith in Jesus Christ and not by the law. You again know the law is not of faith.

Galatians 3:12
And the law is not of faith: but, The man that does them shall live in them.

And if they do not live in perfection, if they miss the mark or transgress the law, they sin. If a man lives under the law they will sin. No man can keep the law perfectly without Mercy or Grace. Grace is not of the law.

James 2:10
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Loyal Member
@B-A-C,
So I take it, you've never lied, lusted, envied, cheated, or broken the law? (men's and/or Gods)
If you've ever done any of those things... you're just as guilty as if you've done all of them.
I am a “SAINT” now and forever.

G40 (saint)
hagios
From ἅγος hagos (an awful thing) compare G53, [H2282]; sacred (physically pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially consecrated): - (most) holy (one, thing), saint.

I’ve been “ETERNALLY FORGIVEN” and I accept what Christ has done for me, as oppose to rejecting it through the lack of faith. Everything I’ve ever done is under the blood of Jesus Christ. God is not like a man to bring up what is forgiven and tax me with it. Paul learned this wisdom from the Spirit of Christ.

Phi 3:13 Brethren, I count “not” myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, “forgetting” those things which are “behind,” and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

I as a believer have been “Justified” and made “Righteous” and have received the “Gift” of Righteousness freely.

Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

G1344 (justified)
dikaioō
From G1342; to render (that is, show or regard as) just or innocent: - free, justify (-ier), be righteous.

I don’t need to remember anything about my past in a negative sense. I’ve learned from my past and I continue to bring out of my heart things new and old for the benefit of Righteousness.

I'm not justified by the law as you are confessing you are.