Are we a False Prophet?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal Member
I find it terrifying to think that God ordained being stoned to death as a fitting punishment for a false prophet.

Terrifying because it is so easy to be one.

Deut 18:20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.

Ever say to someone ''God told me to tell you''?

What are your thoughts?

Loyal Member
To knowingly lie about God telling us to share something with others (to attempt to add weight to our msg) makes God both angry and sad. We dont live under the law, so we dont have to worry about stoning but it does show God's attitude toward such.

Yet, far too often, when God DOES give us a msg to share, we are afraid to for myriad of reasons, we like to find fault with Jonah, but so many of us share his fears and we refuse to BE the messenger Gods wants us to be.

Loyal Member
1Cor 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.

Judging prophecy should always be in the light of what God has already said to a person, which only confirms what was already known.

Loyal Member
False Prophets were to be stoned, and the prophets that spoke the truth were also killed. Not a very good profession to be in, in those days.

Staff member
I find it terrifying to think that God ordained being stoned to death as a fitting punishment for a false prophet.

Deut 18:20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.

What are your thoughts?
Nope. Not that I can recall have I ever said God told me to tell you......However, I have said that His Word says.....Would that qualify as the same thing?

This would surely speak of a prideful person, to presume to speak for God, when they don't.
Think about this. God could have easily taken care of the situation of a false prophet, but instead choose that the people were to take care of it instead. The very ones who would have been effected by this FP words.

Interesting post.
Thanks brother.
With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

The seriousness of the punishment surely qualifies the act as being presumptuous to the extreme on the part of the individual or just a complete lack of belief of which there is no turning back from!

Last edited:
It's not easy for me to keep these things short...

The death of a prophet was an Old Testament thing that pertained to Israel. Hananiah comes to mind. Nebuchadnezzar's yoke of iron is an interesting story. Hananiah opposed Jeremiah and said he would break it within two years. But this is what happened.....

Then said the prophet Jeremiah unto Hananiah the prophet, Hear now, Hananiah; The LORD hath not sent thee; but thou makest this people to trust in a lie.

Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will cast thee from off the face of the earth: this year thou shalt die, because thou hast taught rebellion against the LORD.

So Hananiah the prophet died the same year in the seventh month.

The are no more apostles or prophets. When most people think of prophets they associate them with the major and minor prophets of the Old Testament, Jesus, his apostles, and John the Revelator of the New Testament. People view prophets with predicting the future because that's mostly what we read in the bible. In the Old Testament they 'spoke forth' God's will for Israel and His people. In the NT they spoke forth God's will for the early church.

The Didache (Di-dah-kee) is the authority on the office of the NT prophets. In the NT church, prophets went from church to church 'telling forth' God's Will for the establishment of the church. They were 'wandering prophets' as they really had no place to live. They were only meant to stay for no more than a few days, had no family, had no place to live, and were not allowed to receive any money. The position was often abused as they often extended their stay and accepted money and lived large at the expense of the congregation.

The NT prophets became 'obsolete' in the sense that after the church was established and the foundation was laid they were no longer necessary. Today we are disciples, have deacons, and are able to prophesy, but that in no way makes us prophets.

Anybody who say's they're a prophet today is a false one.

Last edited:

What are your thoughts?
Since there are no prophets today, and since those laws applied to the prophets of Israel, I don't believe anyone who makes a mistake is subject to those laws.

Even in Revelation 22 where it says...

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:"

It doesn't mean that a person who incorrectly interprets or teaches something is going to get the plague! This is an INTENTIONAL adding to especially in a biblical translation. NOT some dubba like me or anyone else who attempts to interpret the book. I think this is more of a real and intentional changing of the words.

Loyal Member
Since there are no prophets today, and since those laws applied to the prophets of Israel, I don't believe anyone who makes a mistake is subject to those laws.

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:"

It doesn't mean that a person who incorrectly interprets or teaches something is going to get the plague! This is an INTENTIONAL adding to especially in a biblical translation. NOT some dubba like me or anyone else who attempts to interpret the book. I think this is more of a real and intentional changing of the words.
I agree that the curse of the law (stoning) was imposed only on the Jews. They had curses and blessings to counter the curses. But it still speaks to the heart of God. God ordained maximum penalty for such. God does not change. Today He feels the same way as He did then about this sin. The risk we run when continuing in those sins that warranted death in the OT, is death. Just not by stoning. A person who continues in such is pushing the envelope at the n'th degree.

It doesn't mean that a person who incorrectly interprets or teaches something is going to get the plague!
Perhaps not a plague, but I can see a person calling themselves a Christian who does this receiving some kind of severe sickness.
This is an INTENTIONAL adding to especially in a biblical translation. NOT some dubba like me or anyone else who attempts to interpret the book. I think this is more of a real and intentional changing of the words.
Agreed. Now how often do we intentional add / miss represent scripture?

Loyal Member

We need to properly grasp what exactly it is that angered God. I see it as a person entrusted to preach the truth, not preaching the truth whilst knowing better.

I am not judging others, I do believe if I had to scrutinize my memories I can find a time I was guilty. Force scripture to say something you want it to say to win an argument or debate. To keep face. If we say anything that we do not truly believe, we are in error and run the risk of God's anger. The only difference today is that God's form of anger is not having us stoned to death by our brethren. He maintains the same level of frustration and anger. It will hit us in some form or another.

Last edited:
Loyal Member
Think about this. God could have easily taken care of the situation of a false prophet, but instead choose that the people were to take care of it instead. The very ones who would have been effected by this FP words.
That is a very good point. I have thought about stoning a lot these last few weeks. It has come up in a lot of fellowship with others. The act, what it does to the person throwing the stone. Placing oneself in those shoes. There is / was literally no doubt as to God's utter hatred of the sin. Think about the mental state of the person who threw the stones and now has to go home and sleep. They will be terrified of ever coming anywhere close to committing that sin. Absolutely terrified. Do we have that same understanding of God's heart when we consider false teaching? I am telling all my friends to come to this reality, asap :smile:.

The seriousness of the punishment surely qualifies the act as being presumptuous to the extreme on the part of the individual or just a complete lack of believe of which there is no turning back from!
Yes. Agreed. I am not sure about the lack of belief. The word prophet for me speaks directly to a person who knows. Already appointed. Already qualified.

Loyal Member
Jesus said when the Word of God is sown Satan comes to steal the Word. The only person who can keep the Word inside them are those who "understand it". If what we believe is true when it is not will be stolen. "Wisdom rests in the heart of the man who has understanding" (Prov 14:33) This understanding can only come from God as he is the only who can give it. "The Lord gives Wisdom, out of his mouth come knowledge, and understanding."(Prov 2:6).

Mat 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

We can only keep what we understand. If what we hear is true then the true "acid test" is it will never fail no matter what tribulation might come because of it.

Last edited:
Perhaps not a plague, but I can see a person calling themselves a Christian who does this receiving some kind of severe sickness.
We will be judged for everything, but I just don't think God would punish anyone over "un-damnable heresies."

I do think that if people intentionally publish a 'false translation' of the bible, or even a book like the 'Da Vinci code', runs the risk of severe judgment.

Agreed. Now how often do we intentional add / miss represent scripture?
We may not intentionally add or mis-represent that often. Take pretribulationism for example. So many people have made so much money on books about it that I just don't see them admitting they've made a mistake and mis-represented it in their books. I believe many of them KNOW they're wrong and instead of admitting they've misled millions of people about it they will wait and let the events prove them wrong.
To keep face. If we say anything that we do not truly believe, we are in error and run the risk of God's anger.
I would say that if we're in an unintentional doctrinal error as long as it's an "undammable" heresy, God doesn't get angry at us, and there are scriptures to support that. He may if we chastise us if we teach something that we don't even believe ourselves. Heresy is common place today. Everybody seems to think they have the truth, yet most of them have never done their own homework on the issue, they often believe others peoples teachings.

Most false prophets in the first century were OUTSIDE the church. As long 'false teachers' in the congregation were not teaching damnable heresies they were actually given a second chance, but the congregation was told to avoid them. If they continued in their false teachings they were excommunicated.

Loyal Member
Jesus was crucified for being one!
Point taken. But just to qualify / be pedantic. He was, but with the Pharisees and Romans as the judge. Not Christians or God. Jesus was the perfect prophet. Literally every word was truthful. His words are the standard against which we discern false teaching.

This reminds me of how some say Jesus broke the Sabbath. This being evidence of the law falling away. But Jesus did not break the Sabbath. The Sabbath was for Him. It is like saying the birthday boy must buy himself a present :smile:.

Loyal Member
Point taken. But just to qualify / be pedantic. He was, but with the Pharisees and Romans as the judge. Not Christians or God. Jesus was the perfect prophet. Literally every word was truthful. His words are the standard against which we discern false teaching.

This reminds me of how some say Jesus broke the Sabbath. This being evidence of the law falling away. But Jesus did not break the Sabbath. The Sabbath was for Him. It is like saying the birthday boy must buy himself a present :smile:.
So he really was and is?

Loyal Member

Are there no prophets today? What is a prophet? Is it not simply someone who speaks God's Word. It may or may not be a prediction of the future. Was the Apostle Paul misinforming us here?

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" Eph 4:11-13

Since as we see surely today the "saints" are still being perfected and the Body of Christ is not fully in unity and our knowledge of the Son of God is incomplete the need for these ministers remains. Would it not be presumptuous to say that there is no need for such given ministers based on what we are seeing around us today?

Are there no prophets today? What is a prophet? Is it not simply someone who speaks God's Word. It may or may not be a prediction of the future. Was the Apostle Paul misinforming us here?

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" Eph 4:11-13

Since as we see surely today the "saints" are still being perfected and the Body of Christ is not fully in unity and our knowledge of the Son of God is incomplete the need for these ministers remains. Would it not be presumptuous to say that there is no need for such given ministers based on what we are seeing around us today?
Prophets and apostles are no longer needed. They were necessary for the establishment of the emerging early church and became obsolete because now that the church has been established, and all the prophecies given, there's no need for them. And, there is no one today who upholds the biblical qualifications of a prophet or apostle.

Today, we are disciples and are able to prophesy, which is all different that being a prophet.

I can edit the page I have on it, it's a bit long and people typically don't like long pages. The first century didache (di'dah'kee) is the authority on the role of prophets and apostles.

Loyal Member
Prophets and apostles are no longer needed.
The Apostle

There are four different "TYPES" of Apostles written about in scripture.
(1) Jesus Christ was an Apostle. Jesus was a one of a kind Apostle as God gave him the Spirit without "MEASURE".

Heb 3:1 Therefore, holy brothers, you who share in a heavenly calling, CONSIDER JESUS, THE APOSTLE AND HIGH PRIEST OF OUR CONFESSION,

Apostle meaning "ONE WHO IS SENT, A MESSENGER". Jesus was sent, and a messenger of God to proclaim the Gospel to men. Jesus operated in all five "MINISTRY" gifts as a Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor and teacher.

(2) The second type apostle are the "APOSTLES OF THE LAMB". The twelve Apostles are in a class of their own. No one else can ever be a Apostle of the Lamb.

Rev 21:14 And the wall of THE CITY HAD TWELVE FOUNDATIONS, and on them were THE TWELVE NAMES OF THE TWELVE APOSTLES OF THE LAMB.

These twelve Apostles were sent for to be eyewitnesses of Jesus's life, earthly ministry, and resurrection. Their main purpose was to be ministers of the Gospel. They were the first to preach, and teach the Word of God.
The Apostle Paul would not qualify to be one of these Apostles as he did not follow Jesus from the start to the end of his earthly ministry. There have been around twenty people in the Bible that have been called "APOSTLES", or "SENT ONES", but only the original twelve are considered an APOSTLES OF THE LAMB. There are only twelve foundations that support the heavenly city, not 13 or 14....ect

(3) The third type of Apostle would be the Apostle Paul, who helped lay the "DOCTRINAL"FOUNDATION” of the New Testament. Paul wrote about half of the New Testament, and the revelations he taught did not come from man.

Eph 3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
Eph 3:3 HOW THAT BY REVELATION HE MADE KNOWN UNTO ME THE MYSTERY; (AS I WROTE AFORE IN FEW WORDS,
Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph 3:5 Which IN OTHER AGES WAS NOT MADE KNOWN UNTO THE SONS OF MEN, AS IT IS NOW REVEALED UNTO HIS HOLY APOSTLES AND PROPHETS BY THE SPIRIT;

The Apostle Paul preached the "REVELATION" of the Gospel to the early Church saints. We do not need to lay any other foundation which has already been laid for us, we are only to build upon that foundation!!

Eph 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
Eph 2:20 And are BUILT UPON THE FOUNDATION OF THE APOSTLES AND PROPHETS, JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF BEING THE CHIEF CORNER STONE;

The Apostle Paul tell us this.....

1Co 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise master builder, I HAVE LAID THE FOUNDATION, AND ANOTHER BUILDETH THEREON. BUT LET EVERY MAN TAKE HEED HOW HE BUILDETH THERE UPON.

There are no NEW revelations being given to the Church as a "FOUNDATION". Paul warned the Church that we are to take heed to how we build upon that which has already been laid. Even though there are no new revelations as foundations for the Church, there are new revelations ABOUT this foundation which is already laid, taught, and revealed to us by the Holy Spirit.

(4) The fourth type of Apostle is the what we have today in the Church. They are sent ones, and their apostleship is in a measure unlike other foundational Apostles like the original twelve, and the apostle Paul who laid the very foundation of the Gospel. Epaphroditus was called a "MESSENGER" by Paul. The word, "MESSENGER" means "APOSTLE". Epaphroditus was not an Apostle in the same sense as Paul or the other twelve apostles were. He was "SENT" out as a delegate, or representative, or as the commissioned representative of a congregation.

Today's Apostles are commissioned by the Holy Spirit to bring a specific message or ministry along a certain scriptural lines to the Body of Christ. These modern day “APOSTLES” would be known as “MISSIONARIES”. They simply build upon the foundation that has already been laid.

One of the most notable signs of a Apostle is in their anointing to teach, and preach the Word of God, and to start or plant new Churches.

Loyal Member

What are your thoughts?
Since Christ, the Cross, remission of sins and the resurrection, God is no longer at war with man!

Loyal Member
Prophets and apostles are no longer needed. They were necessary for the establishment of the emerging early church and became obsolete because now that the church has been established, and all the prophecies given, there's no need for them. And, there is no one today who upholds the biblical qualifications of a prophet or apostle.

Today, we are disciples and are able to prophesy, which is all different that being a prophet.

I can edit the page I have on it, it's a bit long and people typically don't like long pages. The first century didache (di'dah'kee) is the authority on the role of prophets and apostles.
No need? That is like saying the USA has nothing in it but those who have overcome the world. According to statistics there are still about 80% or better followers of Christ [Christians?] in the USA. But look around, if that many people were really Christ-like or striving to be Christ-like what a very different society we would see. To not see the garbage going on all around me I would have to keep my eyes closed almost all of the time.
No need, indeed!

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;" Eph 4:11-14

How close to perfected are all those bearing the label of Christian? How unified are they in faith and in knowledge of the Son of God?

Help us dear Lord! Send us more apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers who are sincerely putting your kingdom and your righteousness first before everything else when they open their mouths to minister.