• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

are Christians suppose to make disciples?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:10)

Are Christians suppose to have disciples?

• Yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Loyal
Are we supposed to have disciples? If so, how do we do that?
1Co 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Being a "Disciple" would be someone who learns from another who is more informed on spiritual things. Since we all are on different plains of spiritual growth, there always should be someone younger in the Lord that could be helped understanding some of the more deeper things of God by the grace of God within us. The body of Christ should minister to each other in love.

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
Eph 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

These things can, and are being done on this forum.

Loyal
This is sort of a trick question...

Are we supposed to have disciples?
I don't think we should have disciples that follow us... "I am a disciple of Bob".
However, I do think we can disciple other people to be like Christ...
We may be the ones disciplining them... but the are disciples ( followers) of Jesus.

Loyal
I think one of proofs that God uses his body to minister to each other is found in the fact that when we learn something new from a brother or sister, we don't remember the name of the person we learned it from, except all we remember is it came from God. We do not want any praise to our self s, but to the one who gives us all things richly to enjoy. The true Wisdom comes down from the Father lights who sit on his throne, and also within us.

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
1Co 3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
1Co 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
1Co 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
1Co 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Loyal
Matt 28:18; Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth.
Matt 28:19; Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Matt 28:20; Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Of course these aren't "our" disciples. They are disciples (followers) of Jesus and His commands.

Active
We're not supposed to have people following 'us'. We Can be having a Bible study with them. There are good Discipleship books 'out there'. Who we / they are in Christ. A schedule for reading through God's Word.