• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Anyone who isn't willing to suffer for Christ is not a Christian!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
People who have read my posts before know I don't sugarcoat or make statements for people to feel good about themselves. So don't expect this post to do so either. It is meant for those who have a sincere heart for God and who have been misled by the mainstream Christianity into thinking that a Christian life is a life of excessive comfort and accumulation of worldly wealth because God will bless His believers. The Bible paints a very different picture and I will highlight that in my post with lots of Bible examples and quotes. Those who are just make-pretend Christians who are in it for only what they will get from God will not like what I'm saying and will probably attack me, mock me like so many did WHENEVER I post anything that cuts to their hearts.

A starting quote from apostle Paul will explain why I titled my thread "Anyone who isn't willing to suffer for Christ is not a Christian".

"For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake (Philippians 1:29 ESV) "

Just one quote from Paul will expose the lies that are being taught in mainstream Christianity by pastors about how Christians can have success, comfort, health and wealth in this life. Paul said true Christians will SUFFER for Christ!

What about the biblical examples of suffering?

Jesus, the Messiah, suffered the most.
1) He was almost murdered by King Herod the day He was born.
2) He was considered an illegitimate child by the evil Jewish religious authority who mocked Him later by saying "we are not illegitimate children". (John 8:41)
3) He didn't even have a place to lay His head during His ministry. (and look at how modern so called Christians are talking about comfort and wealth!)
4) People sought to murder Him during His preaching. (John 5:18)
3) He was betrayed by Judas, one of His own apostle.
4) He was slandered for crimes He never committed, and suffered the worst form of death penalty on the Cross.

Jesus' apostles and disciples, EVERYONE OF THEM suffered for Jesus.
1) Most were crucified, stoned, persecuted, and killed except for John who was exiled to Patmos.
2) Jesus' disciples were persecuted and killed on many fronts by Rome and Jewish authorities.

Joseph, suffered much like Jesus.
1) His brothers betrayed him and sold him into Egypt as a slave.
2) He was slandered by Potiphar's wife and sent to prison even though he was the victim of being seduced by a wicked woman.

Job, suffered much like Jesus.
1) He lost his children and all his wealth.
2) He lost his health to a grievous sore.
3) His friends not only failed to comfort him but ended up rebuking him for his suffering.

David, suffered much like Jesus.
1) King Saul wanted to kill him because of envy.

All of God's prophets, major or minor, ALL suffered in various degrees.
1) Many were murdered and stoned by Jews for preaching a message of repentance and for telling people they are not pleasing to God.

Active
So what have I learned from this biblical picture of suffering?

First, any "positive" message that makes you feel good about yourself is most often a LIE from the pits of hell. Even the devil preached such a message to Eve, and told her "You will not surely die" so that she will FEEL GOOD about eating the forbidden fruit and finally be lured into sinning. I have stopped trusting in any "positive" messages that do not line up with biblical examples because they are nothing but lies from the devil. The devil will say anything to make you feel good about yourself so that you will fall into his deception. This is how he got Adam and Eve to sin in the first place.

Second, any Christian who claims to be a believer but who shows no regard for suffering for Jesus is no Christian at all. If you are not even willing to suffer for someone like Jesus who has died for you, what proves that you are His follower? If you are ok with justifying your selfishness, if you are ok with living a life in disregard to God's Gospel and then justify and attack others who call out your hypocrisy, then you never belonged to Him in the first place. You have failed the test of faith as mentioned by Paul. 2 Corinthians 13:5 AMP

Anyone who is not willing to suffer for Christ will abandon, compromise and shipwreck their faith one day. I can guarantee that because God said there will be an apostasy and there will be a trial of faith on EVERYONE. The devil will like nothing more than for make-believe Christians to turn away from God because of their unwillingness to sacrifice anything for Christ and that is why he persecutes all Christians so that he destroys as many as he can.

Third, if you are indeed suffering greatly for reasons you don't know, or have experienced many injustices and treated badly by the world, you ought to rejoice because it is a sign you might be a true believer. Look at the examples of suffering of God's saints. Every one of them suffered in a similar way or has a similar experience of loss as you. The most glaring proof that you belong to Jesus is that the world hates you and mistreats you in every way possible. In Jesus' own words: "If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. (John 15:19)"

Last edited:
Active
Why did you think the Gospel says "Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you."? (1 John 2:15)

Because you either love the world, your current life, your wealth and comfort in this world or you love God and His kingdom. There is no possible way for you to love both. If you love this world, you will hold onto this life and what it offers you, and forsake God's kingdom and what He gives you. This is a choice everyone makes whether they know of the consequences or not.

God allows you to make this choice, so you will know that every single soul on this earth will have a chance at life. Those who reject Him will have their life now and that is all they will ever have. Those who suffered for Jesus will have their current lives wasted away in sorrow and suffering, they will achieve nothing in terms of worldly success, but they will have a new life with God forever in His Kingdom with no sorrow or pain or suffering.

God is very fair in this. If you decide to sacrifice your current life for God, you will have another life to start anew, a life much better. But if you decide to love your current life with all its excesses and comforts you will end up forsaking any life with God.

Jesus did say "For whoever wills to save his life will lose it and whoever will lose his life for Me will find it." Matthew 16:25

Decide therefore what you will do.

Active
People like listening to false prophets because they never fail to preach "feel good" messages. If they preached like true prophets, they will be rejected and even killed just like most of God's prophets were.

They say to the seers, "No more visions," and to the prophets, "Do not prophesy to us the truth. Speak to us pleasant words; prophesy illusions. Isaiah 30:10

Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets. Luke 6:26

His talk is smooth as butter, yet war is in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet they are drawn swords. Psalm 55:21

This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD. They keep saying to those who despise me, 'The LORD says: You will have peace.' And to all who follow the stubbornness of their hearts they say, 'No harm will come to you.' Jeremiah 23:16-17

They dress the wounds of the daughter of My people with very little care, saying, 'Peace, peace,' when there is no peace. Jeremiah 8:11

Decide for yourselves who you will listen. The false prophets who make you feel good and makes everything you do justifiable? Or words which convicts you of the (unpleasant) truth?

People like listening to false prophets because they never fail to preach "feel good" messages. If they preached like true prophets, they will be rejected and even killed just like most of God's prophets were.

They say to the seers, "No more visions," and to the prophets, "Do not prophesy to us the truth. Speak to us pleasant words; prophesy illusions. Isaiah 30:10

Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets. Luke 6:26

His talk is smooth as butter, yet war is in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet they are drawn swords. Psalm 55:21

This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD. They keep saying to those who despise me, 'The LORD says: You will have peace.' And to all who follow the stubbornness of their hearts they say, 'No harm will come to you.' Jeremiah 23:16-17

They dress the wounds of the daughter of My people with very little care, saying, 'Peace, peace,' when there is no peace. Jeremiah 8:11

Decide for yourselves who you will listen. The false prophets who make you feel good and makes everything you do justifiable? Or words which convicts you of the (unpleasant) truth?
Can you please pray for me. God called me about 8 years ago. I have gone from church to church only finding religion. I have become hardened. If someone says they are a Christian I am immediately turned off and suspect. In a sense I have now become jaded and somewhat angry.
I read the Bible alone at home. I don't go to church because I don't want to be fed falsity.
I want so bad to serve but I feel stuck.
I also struggle with ADD and doubt my salvation because of this condition. My mind is disorganized from a very chaotic upbringing.
In some ways my mind has been renewed. I have changed a great deal but I still struggle with time management, disorganization which leads to freezing and not doing the things God puts on my heart.
I wonder now if it's too late for me to be truly saved.
I don't know what is true when I talk to people. I read my Bible and things just don't line up. I feel frustrated to know and see the truth and yet I am struggling myself.
If God told me to sell everything tomorrow I would. To be honest to there is nothing in this world that excites me I am literally just waiting for God to use me.
Please pray I am really struggling.
Thanks
Jen

Can you please pray for me. God called me about 8 years ago. I have gone from church to church only finding religion. I have become hardened. If someone says they are a Christian I am immediately turned off and suspect. In a sense I have now become jaded and somewhat angry.
I read the Bible alone at home. I don't go to church because I don't want to be fed falsity.
I also struggle with ADD and doubt my salvation because of this condition. My mind is disorganized from a very chaotic upbringing.
In some ways my mind has been renewed. I have changed a great deal but I still struggle with time management, disorganization which leads to freezing and not doing the things God puts on my heart.
I don't know what is true when I talk to people. I read my Bible and things just don't line up. I feel frustrated to know and see the truth and yet I am struggling myself.
If God told me to sell everything tomorrow I would. To be honest to there is nothing in this world that excites me I am literally just waiting for God to use me.
Thanks
Jen
Hi Jen

I think I can relate to how you feel and what you are saying and going through. Just looking from the outside I think your struggle and effort demonstrates some beauty in your faith and belief. For sure you believe and are reflecting your self image and worth on your belief and have refused to let it go or allow corruption to diminish that belief. Many others would have by now. I can't imagine God doing anything else but Loving you for it. He knowing our weaknesses and that we are HELPLESS to remedy ourselves surely cannot help but Love You. I will pray for you and I am well assured they will land sweetly in Jesus's Heart. God Love You Forever Jen.

Active
Thanks
Jen
I wish I could pray for you fervently but I’m not in any better state than you and just as jaded and bitter as you are about church and religion. I am a PTSD survivor and struggle with frequent depressive episodes. Events in my life aren’t helping either and just gets me bitter over and over.

But I have some words that may encourage you. Do not depair because of your situation. God, I mean the true living God, not the false god preached by religion, has much more compassion on suffering people like you and I then most realise. He doesn’t despise or reject the broken-hearted, He is near to them. God seeks an honest and pure heart, not a religious one. If you are absolutely honest with Him about every struggle and not justify any wrong you knowingly commit, He does hear and will come to your aid in His time. It’s all about trusting His character as good and I can testify personally that He is good beyond even what I can understand.

Despite all my pain and bitterness, I know without a doubt He has compassion on the suffering people. Look at the Jews, how many times they offended Him and yet when they cried out to Him they were delivered. If you truly love God in your heart, and by that I mean you are willing to deny yourself for Him, do His will, seek His kingdom and righteousness, He will deliver you, not overnight, but in the end. Your pain and suffering is persistently there not to torment you but to keep you close to Him, to give you a heart that will allow you to feel what others feel when they suffer.

If I did not suffer, I will never experience personally what Jesus did for me. It is because of my pain that I came to understand, not with a head knowledge but by experience, the level of suffering Jesus endured to save mankind. Your suffering is the only way for you to understand the magnitude of God’s love for you, because He allowed His own Son to suffer in a more grievous way to save you. Remember Jesus’ suffering when you despair of life. If He triumphed after He resurrected to life, you will triumph on the day of your resurrection if you keep your faith and endure to the very end.

I wish I could pray for you fervently but I’m not in any better state than you and just as jaded and bitter as you are about church and religion. I am a PTSD survivor and struggle with frequent depressive episodes. Events in my life aren’t helping either and just gets me bitter over and over.

But I have some words that may encourage you. Do not depair because of your situation. God, I mean the true living God, not the false god preached by religion, has much more compassion on suffering people like you and I then most realise. He doesn’t despise or reject the broken-hearted, He is near to them. God seeks an honest and pure heart, not a religious one. If you are absolutely honest with Him about every struggle and not justify any wrong you knowingly commit, He does hear and will come to your aid in His time. It’s all about trusting His character as good and I can testify personally that He is good beyond even what I can understand.

Despite all my pain and bitterness, I know without a doubt He has compassion on the suffering people. Look at the Jews, how many times they offended Him and yet when they cried out to Him they were delivered. If you truly love God in your heart, and by that I mean you are willing to deny yourself for Him, do His will, seek His kingdom and righteousness, He will deliver you, not overnight, but in the end. Your pain and suffering is persistently there not to torment you but to keep you close to Him, to give you a heart that will allow you to feel what others feel when they suffer.

If I did not suffer, I will never experience personally what Jesus did for me. It is because of my pain that I came to understand, not with a head knowledge but by experience, the level of suffering Jesus endured to save mankind. Your suffering is the only way for you to understand the magnitude of God’s love for you, because He allowed His own Son to suffer in a more grievous way to save you. Remember Jesus’ suffering when you despair of life. If He triumphed after He resurrected to life, you will triumph on the day of your resurrection if you keep your faith and endure to the very end.
I have one more question.
I too have suffered depression and suicidality most of my life. When I am walking with Christ I am ok but if I stumble I can still have episodes of this. I was told if I suffered depression and especially suicidal thinking I could not possibly be saved. Is this true? I am 100 times better than before but I have my moments still. Can someone please speak to me honestly about this.

I too have suffered depression and suicidality most of my life. When I am walking with Christ I am ok but if I stumble I can still have episodes of this. I was told if I suffered depression and especially suicidal thinking I could not possibly be saved. Is this true? I am 100 times better than before but I have my moments still. Can someone please speak to me honestly about this.
From experience and the measure of the hearts reward it is not a stumble to feel deeply even to the the depth of you. Neither is it stumbling to loose sight of the guiding light of your life the stumbling begins when you look in the wrong direction. Don't think even that loosing track of your living vision of Jesus Christ is stumbling for it is an honor to seek Him. In the deepest places you will find the deepest answers and you may well see that God will Love You to a New Glory, a Deeper Glory. God Himself Loves You that without Question Jen. Read Psalm 23 in The Passion translation it shares the heart of the Words. God will Bless You Jen.

From experience and the measure of the hearts reward it is not a stumble to feel deeply even to the the depth of you. Neither is it stumbling to loose sight of the guiding light of your life the stumbling begins when you look in the wrong direction. Don't think even that loosing track of your living vision of Jesus Christ is stumbling for it is an honor to seek Him. In the deepest places you will find the deepest answers and you may well see that God will Love You to a New Glory, a Deeper Glory. God Himself Loves You that without Question Jen. Read Psalm 23 in The Passion translation it shares the heart of the Words. God will Bless You Jen.
Thank you

Active
No, it is people who do not believe in Jesus who are not saved. Many saints of God were suicidal. Prophet Elijah wanted God to end his life. Prophet Jonah wanted to die. Job wished he had never been born. These godly men all had their moments of despair and they were still saved because they had faith.

Whoever told you you are not saved because of suicidal thoughts is a liar, a false preacher and ought not to be listened to.

Active
I’ll quote you Scriptures to prove what I said about God’s saints being suicidal:

Elijah - “Then Elijah walked for a whole day into the desert. He sat down under a bush and asked to die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he prayed. “Let me die. I am no better than my ancestors.”” 1 Kings 19:4

Jonah - “Just kill me now, LORD! I’d rather be dead than alive if what I predicted will not happen.”” Jonah 4:3

Job - ““Why wasn’t I born dead? Why didn’t I die as I came from the womb?” Job 3:11

I’ll quote you Scriptures to prove what I said about God’s saints being suicidal:
Thank you so much! It sounds like you understand what I am going through when I say depression and suicidal. Most people just want to push it away. A lot of times I am still talking with God telling him how much I hate this place and all the deception. It's hard to have a real conversation with most "Christian's". Trying to go to church b/c that is what you are "supposed" to do has really screwed me up.
Thanks for reaching out.

Active
Thank you so much! It sounds like you understand what I am going through when I say depression and suicidal. Most people just want to push it away. A lot of times I am still talking with God telling him how much I hate this place and all the deception. It's hard to have a real conversation with most "Christian's". Trying to go to church b/c that is what you are "supposed" to do has really screwed me up.
Thanks for reaching out.
Don’t thank me, I can do nothing for you. Just thank God and give Him glory. I am just as tormented about the hypocrisy and falsehood preached by the mainstream churches. They often do more harm than good. But they are accountable to God and I hope they wake up soon to repent of their apathy and beliefs in falsehoods.

Active
Just one quote from Paul will expose the lies that are being taught in mainstream Christianity by pastors about how Christians can have success, comfort, health and wealth in this life. Paul said true Christians will SUFFER for Christ!

Romans 12:1 " I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your
reasonable service."

Psalms 50:5 " Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice."

But they are accountable to God and I hope they wake up soon to repent of their apathy and beliefs in falsehoods.
Give me just a second to try to explain. The modern day "church" is an obstacle to overcome. It appears grand and sincere from outside, but lacks any inner substance.
Even those that have true believers in them are mostly stuck with their one or two doctrines that they cling too as though that was all there was. In overcoming them
both of you have come out of her my people. Great, now stop the bitterness toward those that are still stuck in them as some are ordained to be there. Pray for them,
forgive them for your own sakes, hold nothing against anyone especially those you know are his but would throw you out for you have outgrown them. Let bitterness
have no foothold within you. Examine yourselves for anything that is not love and seek to remove it, knowing that God has everything under control.
Give no place for the devil in you. See God as sovereign in ALL THINGS and you will be much more at ease in this life. The more one forgives the easier it gets to forgive.
So the more you practice the better you become, and more like your Father which is in heaven. Indeed you could not even forgive unless he sent offenses your
way to allow you to mature.
He who is the author of your faith is also the finisher of it as well. Be watchful and understand why you feel as you do. It is to expose what needs to die within you.
Carnality, so that love may be more greatly produced from within you. God is love and so will his children be when he is finished chastising and maturing them.

This is no scolding only trying to open understanding. If you never look at things in different ways and angles you'll never see all the magnificence of the things you see.

Active
That is absolutely not true. The person who said that may be well intentioned, but completely and horribly wrong. Many Christians struggle with depression.

One friend of mine took his own life years ago. I look forward to being reunited with him when Christ returns.

Active
Thanks
Jen
Enxu, Jelly, we are few in numbers, you do have brothers and sisters, in Christ, who are assaulted by the enemy that many will not understand neither has the slightest idea, of the warfare you are engaged in, but only God your Father, and Jesus your Lord, who knows your engagements, For it is God, who is shaping you, for the glory of that special day, for in every house there are special vessels, some are shape by a more “intensive heat”, that is why only “Jesus alone” can be our example, and Him alone and the pains and tears he cried, is the fuel that helps us endure our course that is recorded in “Volume of The Book”. For the “Richness of His person is describe within its pages” For it is the “bread of life” for us, it is the ”Well of living “Waters“ that never runs dry! It will quench the thirst of a weary traveler in a strange land among strange people. So take heart you are not alone, but you have the company of fellow travelers, who will also finish with “Scars and wounds” in need of a “new garment”, that only a God can give! We have no choice in this matter, he will endure us to the end, because he promise us that He would. So take courage, so we can comfort one another, that we are not in this race alone. So we can endure by your pain, endure by your tears, endure by your struggles, that will encourage us to have the hope that is set before us that we might not be ashamed! That we might rejoice together one day around that good and perfect table that only the Lord can provide.
I thank for your endurance!
Enxu!