• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Another sabbath question, what's the 7th day?

Does it matter what day we practice the sabbath, and what are we required to do on this day? I know that:
Saturday, as originally, in reference to Jewish or historical observance;
Saturday, the day that Jesus and his disciples observed;
Saturday, as above, as a day of observance for some Christian groups;
Sunday, as the day of observance for Roman Catholics and other Christian groups;
Saturday and Sunday as a day of relaxing;
Any day or time period for relaxing and enjoying God

What does rest imply exactly?

Romans 14
5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

Dont know what to think about that?

Also in Hebrew 4, it mentions that it is disobedient to not follow the sabbath on the day that God intended. The 7th day. Saturday or Sunday? And what are we to do besides worship as in everyday of the week?

Off the top of my head.
First, read the verses ordering the sabbath. They say they are an eternal sign allright. But! They, as those verses state, they are an eternal sign and ordanance to the Jews.
Two, in Acts, St. James sends a letter to the gentiles saying what they have to do. He never mentions anywhere about gentiles having to keep a sabbath.
Three. The early church began to hold services on Sundays, to celebrate Christ's resurrection. But they also met on other days.
Four. As I recall, Seventh Day Adventists love to point out that no church council or other thingy ever switched the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. Five. Of course, what they miss by pointing this out, is that the church didn't bother, because Christians didn't have a sabbath to change.
Six. It wasn't until the council of Trent that Catholics decided that it was a mortal sin to miss church on Sunday. About the same time, I am not sure if before or after, the Calvinist churches also hopped on the must go to church or else bandwagon, demanding long, long, long Sunday sevices and instituting (since they were state churches) Blue laws. I.e. what you could and couldn't do on Sundays. So you had to go to church, keep your stores closed, not travel and that sort of thing on Sundays or go to jail.
So in sum, there isn't actually a Christian sabbath.

Article from gotquestions.org

Question: "Does God require Sabbath-keeping of Christians?"

Answer: In Colossians 2:16-17, the Apostle Paul declared, “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.” Similarly, Romans 14:5 says, “One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.” These Scriptures make it clear, for the Christian, Sabbath-keeping is a matter of spiritual freedom, not a command from God. Sabbath-keeping is an issue on which God’s Word instructs us not to judge each other. Sabbath-keeping is a matter that each and every Christian needs to by fully convinced in his/her own mind.

In the early chapters of the Book of Acts, the first Christians were predominantly Jews. When Gentiles began to receive the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, the Jewish Christians had a dilemma. What aspects of the Mosaic Law and Jewish tradition should Gentile Christians be instructed to obey? The apostles met and discussed the issue in the Jerusalem council (Acts chapter 15). The decision was, “It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood” (Acts 15:19-20). Sabbath-keeping was not one of the commands that Jesus’ apostles felt it was necessary to enforce on Gentile believers. It is inconceivable that the apostles would neglect to include Sabbath-keeping if it was still God’s command for Christians to observe the Sabbath day.

A common error in the Sabbath-keeping debate is the concept that the Sabbath was the day of worship. Groups such as the Seventh Day Adventists holds that God requires the church service to be held on Saturday, the Sabbath day. That is not what the Sabbath command was. The Sabbath command was to do no work on the Sabbath day (Exodus 20:8-11). Nowhere in Scripture is the Sabbath day commanded to be the day of worship. Yes, Jews in Old Testament, New Testament, and modern times use Saturday as the day of worship – but that is not the essence of the Sabbath command. In the Book of Acts, whenever a meeting is said to be on the Sabbath, it is a meeting of Jews, not Christians. When did the early Christians meet? Acts 2:46-47 gives us the answer, “Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.” If there was a day that Christians met regularly, it was the first day of the week, not the Sabbath day (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2). In honor of Christ’s resurrection on Sunday, the early Christians observed Sunday, not as the “Christian Sabbath,” but as a day to especially worship and glorify Jesus Christ.

Is there anything wrong with worshipping on Saturday, the Sabbath? Absolutely not! We should worship God every day, not just on Saturday or Sunday! Many churches today have both Saturday and Sunday services. There is freedom in Christ (Romans 8:21; 2 Corinthians 3:17; Galatians 5:1). Should a Christian practice Sabbath-keeping, that is, not working on Saturdays? If a Christian feels led to do so, absolutely, yes (Romans 14:5). However, those who choose to practice Sabbath-keeping should not judge those who do not keep the Sabbath (Colossians 2:16). Further, those who do not keep the Sabbath should avoid being a stumbling block (1 Corinthians 8:9) to those who do keep the Sabbath. Galatians 5:13-15 sums up the whole issue, “You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other."

Please also view this article for more information: What day is the Sabbath, Saturday or Sunday?

God bless
Much love
teraside

Ok, so we dont have to practice the sabbath as Christians then, but what does the sabbath day consist of for those who practice it? The Jews I know dont work, drive cars, use electricity, kids cant play, cook, and they spend the day in the Sinagaug on the sabbath day. Is that what the sabbath is about, I mean of course it is about God and praising him only, but are all the other things nessesary for those who practice the sabbath?

This is a commandment of God through Mosses, I understand that. I know that the Jews made a promise to God to keep these commandments, but shouldent it apply to all of us?

I'm not sure what the Jews do, I'm not a Jew, I'm not familar with their culture, maybe someone else has an answer for you?

Like the article reads, if you are led to do it, there's nothing wrong with it, but if you are not led to do it, don't judge others for not doing it, that's my opinion and the Bible doesn't contradict itself, it takes discernment and we should ask for it from God.

God bless

In the early chapters of the Book of Acts, the first Christians were predominantly Jews. When Gentiles began to receive the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, the Jewish Christians had a dilemma. What aspects of the Mosaic Law and Jewish tradition should Gentile Christians be instructed to obey? The apostles met and discussed the issue in the Jerusalem council (Acts chapter 15). The decision was, “It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood” (Acts 15:19-20). Sabbath-keeping was not one of the commands that Jesus’ apostles felt it was necessary to enforce on Gentile believers. It is inconceivable that the apostles would neglect to include Sabbath-keeping if it was still God’s command for Christians to observe the Sabbath day.

(Justin): The thing I dont get is why are not all of us, gentiles and all, supposed to abide by the same rules as the Jews? And what happend to the Jews that followed Christ. I have never met a Jew or heard of a Jew that follows Christ. Where are they today?

God Chose the Day!

So far in this thread the obvious has been missed. In Acts 1:4-5 the Christians were told to WAIT for the gift of God. They did, not knowing when it would come, and Acts 2 shows when: Pentecost, 50 days after a Sabbath and therefore a Sunday. Acts 2 records the first Church service, and it had everything: teaching, salvations, fellowship, healing, prayer...
God chose the day.

Paul gave a sermon on a Sunday (first day of the week) in Acts 20:7-on.
Not only is there no condemnation for worshipping on a Sunday, the first Church of Christ started worshipping on Sunday! Some completed-in-Jesus Jews probably continued worshipping on Saturday but I do not condemn that.

So far in this thread the obvious has been missed. In Acts 1:4-5 the Christians were told to WAIT for the gift of God. They did, not knowing when it would come, and Acts 2 shows when: Pentecost, 50 days after a Sabbath and therefore a Sunday. Acts 2 records the first Church service, and it had everything: teaching, salvations, fellowship, healing, prayer...
God chose the day.

Paul gave a sermon on a Sunday (first day of the week) in Acts 20:7-on.
Not only is there no condemnation for worshipping on a Sunday, the first Church of Christ started worshipping on Sunday! Some completed-in-Jesus Jews probably continued worshipping on Saturday but I do not condemn that.

I am failing to understand what this has to do with keeping the Sabbath.

In Hebrews 4, it says that those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of diobedience. There for let us be diligent to enter that rest. How do we explain this and the rest of Hebrews 4 if the sabbath does not apply to us????

About the sabbath. Well i dont know if "gentile" Christians supposed to "keep" it (in the manner jews does). But we are all one in Christ so it might be more complicated. ofcourse Christians not from Judaism not must to be strict and follow everything as the jewish practices but its not forbidden. In my view and way of thought, sabbath (the 7th day) should be respected and might be good time of worship. In the Jeiwsh (not Messianic Jeiwsh) that practicioners must not do any kind of job or make any efforts not to light fire in any manner. not use electricity and not to cook. Every thing must be done before then evening of Friday. Jewish Christians as much as i know.. dont go that strict while keeping the saturday but they give as much as respect as they can to this holY-day. they rest and pray usually more then often. sometimes there meetings in the Sabbath or Sabbath eve (Friday nights). I think that respect should be give to this Holy day as much as we can but not because of its speciality but because god made it so. Life and God/Christ are much more important than resting. Means if we need to do something for the Lord we should do it and to protect lifes of people we should do it.Because still its just a day. but yet it is important. About sunday, Well this is really my personal point of view and you might really not agree with it. I see it as the Lord (Jesus) day. day of hope the day of his ressurction (I hope i spelled it correct). Its day that as much as i know the first belivers used to practice and worship and held services. anyway its special day for me. Day of Awakening and new HOPE. i try to respect both of the days as much as i can.
i hope i somewhat answered the question.

In Hebrews 4, it says that those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of diobedience. There for let us be diligent to enter that rest. How do we explain this and the rest of Hebrews 4 if the sabbath does not apply to us????

Jesus is the Sabbath of the new covenant.

Matthew 11:28-30
28*Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29*Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30*For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Colossians 2:16&17
16*So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new-moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. 17*For these rules were only shadows of the real thing, Christ himself.

Galatians 5:1-6
1*So Christ has really set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.
2*Listen! I, Paul, tell you this: If you are counting on circumcision to make you right with God, then Christ cannot help you. 3*I’ll say it again. If you are trying to find favor with God by being circumcised, you must obey all of the regulations in the whole law of Moses. 4*For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.
5*But we who live by the Spirit eagerly wait to receive everything promised to us who are right with God through faith. 6*For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, it makes no difference to God whether we are circumcised or not circumcised. What is important is faith expressing itself in love.

Your struggle to understand is because you are trying to mix the old covenant with the new covenant. It is impossible to be under both. The new covenant is Christ period, period, period. So be obedient to Him, did He say to keep the sabbath, to tithe, to worship in the synagogue? No, He said to love God and each other and follow the Spirit of Truth not the old covenant Law.

Don't allow religion and the traditions of men to imprison you.
Read the Book of Galatians, Colossians and Hebrews and ask God to reveal to you what the new covenant is and I'm sure He will.

Last edited:
Jesus is the Sabbath of the new covenant.

Matthew 11:28-30
28*Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29*Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30*For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Colossians 2:16&17
16*So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new-moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. 17*For these rules were only shadows of the real thing, Christ himself.

Galatians 5:1-6
1*So Christ has really set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.
2*Listen! I, Paul, tell you this: If you are counting on circumcision to make you right with God, then Christ cannot help you. 3*I’ll say it again. If you are trying to find favor with God by being circumcised, you must obey all of the regulations in the whole law of Moses. 4*For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.
5*But we who live by the Spirit eagerly wait to receive everything promised to us who are right with God through faith. 6*For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, it makes no difference to God whether we are circumcised or not circumcised. What is important is faith expressing itself in love.

Your struggle to understand is because you are trying to mix the old covenant with the new covenant. It is impossible to be under both. The new covenant is Christ period, period, period. So be obedient to Him, did He say to keep the sabbath, to tithe, to worship in the synagogue? No, He said to love God and each other and follow the Spirit of Truth not the old covenant Law.

Don't allow religion and the traditions of men to imprison you.
Read the Book of Galatians, Colossians and Hebrews and ask God to reveal to you what the new covenant is and I'm sure He will.

I understand what you are saying Jiggyfly, but then why does paul state this in Hebrews 4 about the sabbath and why then do we even read the OT and care for the 10 commandments? If it is irrelevant then we should be done with it, no. These are the things that confuse me. Its like I take 2 steps foward, then 10 steps back.

The important thing about the Sabbath to me is that it was a day of rest. I am of the opinion that this rest day has now transferred to Sunday, the first day of the week. Reasons have been already given.

I feel that it is a vital part of Christian life that we set apart Sunday, as a day of rest. I do not employ myself in washing the car, mowing the lawn, cutting the hedge on Sunday, as is the case with my neighbours.

We live in a society where folks are breaking down with nervous tension, simply because they do not know how to rest. Some seem to be always wanting to be running around, every day of the week.

"Rest" is a bible principle. In the O.T. every 7th year the land was not tilled or sown, it had a rest.

The book of Hebrews talks about "a rest for the people of God" Some say they have continual "rest" in Jesus.......So be it. Whatever the day.

Sunday is a day set apart for all who love Jesus, to meet together, and give Him praise, with all their heart, soul, mind and strength.

I understand what you are saying Jiggyfly, but then why does paul state this in Hebrews 4 about the sabbath and why then do we even read the OT and care for the 10 commandments? If it is irrelevant then we should be done with it, no. These are the things that confuse me. Its like I take 2 steps foward, then 10 steps back.

Don't just read a verse here and a verse there, read the entire book of Galatians, Colossians and Hebrews. Paul is talking about Christ in Hebrews chapter four. Do you still make animal sacrifices and stone those who transgress the Law? These things are in the Old Testament as well. You need to try a different approach to understanding the new covenant. Take your eyes off of man and all his religious concepts and look to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Just because millions of people still try to live under the old covenant doesn't mean that that is what God wants. Jesus said that few find the way that leads to eternal life so it cannot possibly be what the majority are doing. Allow Jesus to be your pastor and teacher, He won't steer you wrong.

Don't just read a verse here and a verse there, read the entire book of Galatians, Colossians and Hebrews. Paul is talking about Christ in Hebrews chapter four. Do you still make animal sacrifices and stone those who transgress the Law? These things are in the Old Testament as well. You need to try a different approach to understanding the new covenant. Take your eyes off of man and all his religious concepts and look to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Just because millions of people still try to live under the old covenant doesn't mean that that is what God wants. Jesus said that few find the way that leads to eternal life so it cannot possibly be what the majority are doing. Allow Jesus to be your pastor and teacher, He won't steer you wrong.

I know, I know, but why if we are not to follow the sabbath why are there so many things that imply we should. Some scriptures say yes and some no. Well why is one more important then the next. Also from the NT.

Luke 4
14,Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. 15He taught in their synagogues, and everyone praised him.
16,He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read.

Acts 17
1,When they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a Jewish synagogue. 2,As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures

"Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good."—Romans 7:12.

"Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but [that which is important is] the keeping of the commandments of God."—1 Corinthians 7:19.

I am of the same opinion as brother Jiggyfly, I don't understand it totally as he may, but I do understand that there are two covenants, I am learning more with each of his posts. I have to be really really honest today, brother Jiggyfly gave me a link some months ago when I struggled with this issue, I haven't read through it completely as my nature is to put things off for later, I am busy reading it now and will hopefully have a better understanding, although I don't really have questions regarding the subject, I know I need to learn about it.

http://www.talkjesus.com/bible-chat/5293-mixing-grace-law.html

God bless
Much love

I read all the posts in that link I gave, it's awesome to say the least.

Titus 3:9 “But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.”

Let God put Himself, His laws in your heart and mind.

God bless you.

Last edited:

Zee

....But church is necessary after all.

I have recently also though of the whole church going issue, since so many people argue that going to church does not mean they go to heaven - that is true - yet why do people recommend that we go to church?

Well, I would recommend myself to go to church - it is where I can fellowship with fellow servants in Christ and lift up the name above all names - Jesus!!!

Also, I believe that Sunday is the first day in the week, as do many calenders portray. The Bible teaches us to give our first fruits to the Lord, and not only money wise, time wise aswell. From experience, I know that not dedicating the first day of the week to God, messes on my whole week. Even more so, great spiritual upliftment can be obtained from offering the first part of every day to God.

So Viva sunday! For it is the day that the Lord has made. So give it to him as first fruit.

Peace