• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Anger!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
"God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry?"—Jonah 4:9.

Anger is not always or necessarily sinful, but it has such a tendency to run wild that whenever it displays itself, we should be quick to question its character, with this enquiry, "Doest thou well to be angry?"

It may be that we can answer, "YES." Very frequently anger is the madman's firebrand, but sometimes it is Elijah's fire from heaven. We do well when we are angry with sin, because of the wrong which it commits against our good and gracious God; or with ourselves because we remain so foolish after so much divine instruction; or with others when the sole cause of anger is the evil which they do.

He who is not angry at transgression becomes a partaker in it. Sin is a loathsome and hateful thing, and no renewed heart can patiently endure it. God himself is angry with the wicked every day, and it is written in His Word, "Ye that love the Lord, hate evil."

Far more frequently it is to be feared that our anger is not commendable or even justifiable, and then we must answer, "NO." Why should we be fretful with children, passionate with servants, and wrathful with companions? Is such anger honourable to our Christian profession, or glorifying to God? Is it not the old evil heart seeking to gain dominion, and should we not resist it with all the might of our newborn nature.

Many professors give way to temper as though it were useless to attempt resistance; but let the believer remember that he must be a conqueror in every point, or else he cannot be crowned. If we cannot control our tempers, what has grace done for us? Some one told Mr. Jay that grace was often grafted on a crab-stump. "Yes," said he, "but the fruit will not be crabs." We must not make natural infirmity an excuse for sin, but we must fly to the cross and pray the Lord to crucify our tempers, and renew us in gentleness and meekness after His own image.

Charles Spurgeon

Active
[for me anyway] Christ first tells us in (Matthew 5:22) that "whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment"; therefore what is a cause or legitimate cause to be angry? Our example is the Lord Jesus in (Mark 3:5), who looked round about on the religious elitists with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts. Therefore [again for me anyway] the only cause to be legitimately angry with another is exactly being grieved for the hardness of their heart. His anger was after they held their peace and said nothing in pride or arrogance or both, when Christ asked them a question (v4). Notwithstanding though the Lord was angry, yet He responded with good by healing the man, having overcome evil with good.

Staff Member
Dear Brother @HisFollower

Anger can be a difficult one for some. At least the one that seems to come out of nowhere!

I realize that's it's really originated from a "spark" of something that has happened which causes us to be displeased about something (fill in the blank). I also can see where if it's not extinguished immediately by remembering who we are in Christ Jesus. It can very well explode.

Two Proverbs that show how anger can be wrong, but also justified.

[Pro 14:29, 35 NASB] 29 He who is slow to anger has great understanding,But he who is quick-tempered exalts folly. ... 35 The king's favor is toward a servant who acts wisely,But his anger is toward him who acts shamefully.

Our Lord told the parable on the debtor concerning forgiveness (Matthew 18:21-35) but makes an example that there are valid reasons that one can be moved by anger v34. Yet as this devotional points out. One must really take care in doing so. I do believe that there are different types of anger. One is the uncontrollable; one that burst out like a brush fire on the plains after days without rain. While another is kept in check, similar to a controlled burn which serves a specific purpose. Both create "fire", but one is destructive while the other is constructive. The latter I believe was exhibited by our Lord in the verses you mentioned and also in the parable, and proverb.

[Jas 1:19-20 NASB] 19 This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; 20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.

There are those who become angry with God. Can one justify that? Of cause not, but do you think that God understands and yet still has compassion on them that do?

Since this devotional's verse is about Jonah. It might do to take a look at his story and how God showed this compassion. He did this not by excusing the behavior of Jonah, but by instructing him.

[Jon 4:10-11 KJV] 10 Then said the LORD, Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for the which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night: 11 And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and [also] much cattle?

If one is able before the "flicker" of anger descends on us and seeks the peace in knowing that God is in control and the larger tapestry that is being woven by our God, in not only our lives, but those around us is to His greater purpose. It may provide us that moment where patience and clarity may yet rule the day.

I mentioned Proverb 14:29 in the NASB. I find it interesting that in the Aramaic Bible to English it reads this way "He that is patient is very wise and he that is impatient, very foolish."

Thanks for sharing your thoughts brother. It had me delve deeper in scripture. Which is always a blessing!
With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
"God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry?"—Jonah 4:9.

Anger is not always or necessarily sinful, but it has such a tendency to run wild that whenever it displays itself, we should be quick to question its character, with this enquiry, "Doest thou well to be angry?"

It may be that we can answer, "YES." Very frequently anger is the madman's firebrand, but sometimes it is Elijah's fire from heaven. We do well when we are angry with sin, because of the wrong which it commits against our good and gracious God; or with ourselves because we remain so foolish after so much divine instruction; or with others when the sole cause of anger is the evil which they do.

He who is not angry at transgression becomes a partaker in it. Sin is a loathsome and hateful thing, and no renewed heart can patiently endure it. God himself is angry with the wicked every day, and it is written in His Word, "Ye that love the Lord, hate evil."

Far more frequently it is to be feared that our anger is not commendable or even justifiable, and then we must answer, "NO." Why should we be fretful with children, passionate with servants, and wrathful with companions? Is such anger honourable to our Christian profession, or glorifying to God? Is it not the old evil heart seeking to gain dominion, and should we not resist it with all the might of our newborn nature.

Many professors give way to temper as though it were useless to attempt resistance; but let the believer remember that he must be a conqueror in every point, or else he cannot be crowned. If we cannot control our tempers, what has grace done for us? Some one told Mr. Jay that grace was often grafted on a crab-stump. "Yes," said he, "but the fruit will not be crabs." We must not make natural infirmity an excuse for sin, but we must fly to the cross and pray the Lord to crucify our tempers, and renew us in gentleness and meekness after His own image.

Charles Spurgeon
Another wonderful quote from Spurgeon. I recently read this same quote from him, so reading it a second time caused me to remember that about 10 years ago, God really convicted me of my unjust anger. I just couldn't get victory over spontaneous bursts of anger, especially "road rage". Only the Lord kept me from breaking the laws of the highway, although I came close.

To this day, I don't know how the Lord changed my heart. For years, I cried out to my Heavenly Father to take the anger away. The closest that I can remember of coming to the point of deliverance, was when I asked Him to replace my anger with love. Over a short period of time, I began to realize that God was softening my heart, and today, I rarely get upset. Certainly no anger displayed at other drivers, even a little.

It may be that when I asked God to give me something better than anger at people, which was love, He was delighted to step in and change my heart....Praise His gracious Name.

Loyal
Eph 4:26; BE ANGRY, AND yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger,
Eph 4:27; and do not give the devil an opportunity.

Anger isn't always bad.... but holding a grudge and letting anger control us is.

Another wonderful quote from Spurgeon. I recently read this same quote from him, so reading it a second time caused me to remember that about 10 years ago, God really convicted me of my unjust anger. I just couldn't get victory over spontaneous bursts of anger, especially "road rage". Only the Lord kept me from breaking the laws of the highway, although I came close.

To this day, I don't know how the Lord changed my heart. For years, I cried out to my Heavenly Father to take the anger away. The closest that I can remember of coming to the point of deliverance, was when I asked Him to replace my anger with love. Over a short period of time, I began to realize that God was softening my heart, and today, I rarely get upset. Certainly no anger displayed at other drivers, even a little.

It may be that when I asked God to give me something better than anger at people, which was love, He was delighted to step in and change my heart....Praise His gracious Name.
What you've shared is so true. For me, the anger problem was driven by fear. "Fight or flight," and I typically chose to fight. So wrong...and I prayed for God to work in my heart, to soften it, knowing that fear and faith cannot occupy the same soul. He did it for me, of course. I, too, find it almost difficult to become angry these days, thanks be to Him.