• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

...And we hid as it were, our faces from Him...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

...And we hid as it were, our faces from Him...

I was going over Isaiah 53 the other day, and as I was repeating it over and over in my mind the above phrase stood out in the midst of the 3rd and 4th verses.

Is 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
4 ¶ Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows:

I was drawn to this passage and found myself being confronted with the question; Am I, today, hiding as it were my face from Him?
Am I spending as much time with Him as He would like? He desires my company; am I preferring other company and turning away from Him?
Am I truly giving Him the opportunity He needs to affect real change in my life?
Am I spending enough time studying His word that He might build up and strengthen my faith ?
Am I making myself fully available and amenable to the Holy Spirit that He might transform me truly into the image of Jesus?

Or am I, as it were, hiding my face from Him?

Am I covering up my true thoughts with fig leaves and being dishonest in my prayers?
Am I expressing the honest and deep-seated fears , joys, confusions, and desires that pervade my heart?
Am I being as open and as transparent and as vulnerable as a young child with his doting parent?
Or am I still hiding my face from Him?

Am I turning away from my neighbours who are in need of hearing the gospel? Am I failing to offer them the bread of life and the living waters that come through our Saviour, Jesus?
Am I failing to do unto others, what I would have them do unto me if our roles were reversed? Will my neighbours, workmates, or family members come up to me in the day of judgement and ask, "why did you not warn us?"

Am I turning, as it were, my face from them?

Does He yet sorrow and is He still acquainted with grief because He is despised and rejected? Am I visiting Him in prison, helping Him when sick, am I clothing Him. feeding Him, and offering Him a bed when He has no pillow for to lay His head?

Am I despising Him by hiding my face from my fellow man?

Am I hiding, as it were, my face from Him when He needs me most?

God forbid that when I need Him most, the day come and I hear these devastating words from a God sorrowing and grief stricken...Because you did it not for these the least of my brethren, ye did it not for Me... depart from Me ... I never knew you".

"Forgive me Lord for ignoring, disguising, and glossing over my faults, flaws and defects in character. Forgive me Lord for any and all self-satisfaction in my theology, while the world around me rushes headlong into ruin.

Lord, by your infinite grace and mercy, grant that I may always do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with you forever and forever. And may you never have to turn your face from me, in Christ's most holy and glorious name. Amen."