• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

All our heart, mind and soul?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself
Matthew 22:37 -39

These verses really challenge me.

How do we do this?
How can we do this....fully and truly?

How do we love the Lord with all our heart, soul and mind?

How in practical and real ways can we/do we love our neighbour as ourself?
What does this verse mean
?

If you love Me keep My commandments
John 14:15

Loyal
Do you like warm clothes? Then make sure your neighbor has some if they don't. Is your hunger always filled? Then make sure your neighbor doesn't go hungry. Do you like fellow Christians encouraging you in the Lord? If so, then do so to your neighbor as well. Then the question is who is your neighbor, and Jesus answered this very well. As to the Lord, you have already made Him very happy if you have done all this, then simply have talks with the Lord throughout the day, tell Him how beautiful nature is, or how beautiful He made animals and smart instinctually, ask how to best interact with other people to glorify Him... basically keep in sort of steady on and off conversation with the Lord, He loves His children talking to Him.

This would be my advice to anyone seeking a closer relationship to the Lord and following the 2 greatest commandments.

P.S. Make sure any giving is personal, from your hands to other hands, try to avoid third parties, as you don't know for sure how they will use it. And the personal will help you more than the impersonal.

Loyal
"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible. " Mark 10:27

If you ask God to help you to love both Him and your neighbour as Jesus told you to do it, will He not help you? Do you not trust Him to keep His promises?

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8

Active
Wow beloved Sister Now that's a question that cannot be answered with a quick impersonal answer. I suppose that the answer would be different for different people. Women would answer differently than men, I think. There are Theologians who say that to love God with all their heart is impossible. Hmm. Lets see what some say.

John Gill...."Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind; that is, with all the powers and faculties of the soul, the will, the understanding, and the affections; in the most sincere, upright, and perfect manner, without any dissimulation and hypocrisy, and above all objects whatever, for this the law requires; and which man, in his state of innocence, was capable of, though now fallen, he is utterly unable to perform; so far from it, that without the grace of God, he has no true love at all to God, in his heart, soul and mind, but all the reverse; his carnal mind is enmity against God, and everything that is divine and good, or that belongs unto him: and though this is now the case of man, yet his obligation to love the Lord in this manner is still the same; and when the Spirit of God does produce the grace and fruit of love in his soul, he does love the Lord sincerely."

Albert Barnes...."Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart - The meaning of this is, thou shalt love him with all thy faculties or powers. Thou shalt love him supremely, more than all other beings and things, and with all the ardor possible. To love him with all the heart is to fix the affections supremely on him, more strongly than on anything else, and to be willing to give up all that we hold dear at his command,
With all thy soul - Or, with all thy “life.” This means, to be willing to give up the life to him, and to devote it all to his service; to live to him, and to be willing to die at his command,
With all thy mind - To submit the “intellect” to his will. To love his law and gospel more than we do the decisions of our own minds. To be willing to submit all our faculties to his teaching and guidance, and to devote to him all our intellectual attainments and all the results of our intellectual efforts.
“With all thy strength” (Mark). With all the faculties of soul and body. To labor and toil for his glory, and to make that the great object of all our efforts."

I hope this helps a little.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself

How do we do this?

?

Only those reborn in the spirit can love the Lord, thy neighbor, thyself and keep all the commandments of God.

Loyal

How do we do this?

?

First of all, we must be born of the Spirit of God, by God’s grace, through faith in Jesus Christ, and we must have a correct understanding of what that means. If we understand it to mean that we are merely forgiven of our sin so we can escape hell and have the promise of heaven when we die, then we have missed the point of our salvation.

Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; that we might no longer live for ourselves, but for him who gave himself up for us (1 Pet. 2:24; 2 Co. 5:15). If we don’t start with the right premise (foundation), then we won’t truly know what it means to love God in this way, i.e. in the way you have correctly stated here. Believing in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives means we are crucified with Christ in death to sin, and we are resurrected with Christ to newness of life, “created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness” (See: Eph. 4:17-24; Ro. 6:1-23). We are made, in Christ, to walk in righteousness and holiness, not according to the ways of this sinful world, and not according to our fleshly or selfish desires.

God’s grace to us is not a free license to continue in sin without guilt and without remorse. His grace teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives while we wait for Christ’s return (Tit. 2:11-14). Because of God’s grace to us, in saving us from our sins, we should give our lives to Jesus Christ as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God, which is our reasonable service of worship of him, and we should no longer be conformed to the ways of this sinful world, but we should be transformed in the renewing of our minds, so that we can prove by our lives what is the acceptable, pleasing and perfect will of God for our lives (See: Ro. 12:1-2).

So, how do we do this in all practicality? Well, we do it in the power and working of the Spirit of God within us as we yield control of our lives over to God, and as we daily submit to his purposes and his will for our lives, and as we recognize that we were bought (redeemed) back for God by the blood of Jesus, so our lives are no longer our own to be lived how we want. We call Jesus our Lord, but is he? Lord means owner-master. We have to see ourselves as willing bond-servants (bond-slaves) of Jesus Christ, and not as servants on our own terms, according to our own schedules, and in accordance with the ways of this sinful world. Does he truly have ownership of our lives, or do we run our own lives and then try to serve him on the side?

I don’t believe this type of Christian living is often modeled for us, at least not in America where I live. Instead, I think we get this idea that Christian living is just a cleaned up version of worldly living, at least by how some of us have or do live our daily lives. Often Christians compartmentalize their daily lives from their spiritual lives, and this is wrong. It should be one life we live, which should be lived to God, and not to ourselves. God should be Lord of our lives 24/7, not just when it is convenient for us.

This means he is the one to order up our days, not us. Yes, many people have paying jobs, and their days are somewhat determined by their bosses, and young mothers have children, etc., but we can glorify God in all that we do, even if it is doing laundry, cleaning house, taking care of kids, etc. We can be in a spirit of prayer throughout the day, and be sensitive to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit speaking to us about our thoughts, our attitudes, our words and our actions, and then obey what he shows us. And, we can pray for divine opportunities to share Christ with others in lifestyle and in words.

If Jesus is truly our Lord (owner-master) and we are his bond-servants (bond-slaves), and we are servants of his righteousness, and we are walking according to the Spirit, and no longer are we conducting our lives according to our flesh (our selfish desires), then we are loving him fully (though not with absolute perfection), and we will love our neighbors as ourselves, because his love is in us, and because we will be listening to the voice of the Spirit, and we will obey when we are prompted to not do something or to do something. Our lifestyles will be in conformity with the will of God, and the closer we get to the Lord, the less of the world we will allow to enter into our lives and the more of Jesus will overtake us and will be our passion and desire. And, his love will naturally flow out through us.

Yet, when we love like this, and we follow our Lord in this way, we should be prepared to be rejected, hated, persecuted, mocked, abandoned, and gossiped about and even falsely accused, even by those who profess to know Jesus Christ, because we have followed the Lord’s command to come out from among them and to be separate, and people will think we are weird, strange and even nuts (hyper-religious, extremists, and out-of-touch with reality). In other words, there is a cost to following Jesus in this way, so we have to be ready to suffer for the sake of the name of Jesus and for the sake of his cross, in order to love like he loves.

Loyal
What did Jesus say was the greatest commandment? ( Matt 22:37; Mark 12:30; )
Jesus goes on to say... Matt 22:40; "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets." ( See Mark 12:33-34; )

Luke 10:27; And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Luke 10:28; And He said to him, "You have answered correctly; DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE."

Rom 13:8; Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9; For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Rom 13:10; Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Basically if we we aren't lying to people, murdering them, stealing from them, having affairs with their spouses, bearing false witness about them.. we are loving them.
And if we're doing that... we're loving God. (all of the law of the prophets hang of those two verses).

Loyal
Jesus goes on to say... Matt 22:40; "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets." ( See Mark 12:33-34; )

Luke 10:27; And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Luke 10:28; And He said to him, "You have answered correctly; DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE."

Rom 13:8; Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9; For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Rom 13:10; Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Basically if we we aren't lying to people, murdering them, stealing from them, having affairs with their spouses, bearing false witness about them.. we are loving them.
And if we're doing that... we're loving God. (all of the law of the prophets hang of those two verses).
I wonder, is absence of hateful and sinful acts necessarily a sign of love? If we are not doing bad stuff to people, is that alone enough to show we love them? Truly if we are sinning against them we are NOT loving them, because love does no harm to its neighbor. So, loving certainly includes absence of sinning against our neighbors. But, I wonder if we can cease to do harm to our neighbors and yet not love them at all? it would be called apathy, I believe. I guess the same would apply to our love for God. Is it enough to just cease walking in sin? Could we, in essence, quit a particular sin, but still not love God? Perhaps we quit for selfish reasons, and not out of love for God at all. God so loved us that he gave himself up for us so that we might be saved from our sins. Loving is doing and giving unselfishly, just as much as it is ceasing to do what is harmful. For instance, Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. Where there is a put off, there is always a put on. So, I think that, although ceasing to do harm to our neighbors is an aspect of love, i.e. we don't do harm to those we love, I believe we can cease to sin against people in these ways mentioned and still do nothing toward showing them genuine love and concern for their legitimate needs. Just thinking out loud here.

1 John 5:
2: By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.
3: For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
18: We know that any one born of God does not sin, but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.

1 John 3:
9: No one born of God commits sin; for God's nature abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God.

Administrator
Staff Member
Good thread. I believe the Holy Spirit enables us to love GOD and our neighbor (assuming we're born again believers). Done through the process of sanctification and renewing our minds to become more like Christ. It's quite a battle and we know the mind is a battlefield between godly thoughts and ungodly thoughts.

Here's short explanation from GQ?
What does it mean to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength?

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength” (Deuteronomy 6:5). This is known as the Shema, taken from the first word “hear” in Hebrew. Modern Jews consider the recital of the Shema both evening and morning to be one of their most sacred duties. It was cited by Jesus as the “greatest commandment in the Law” (Matthew 22:36–37).

This command seems to be impossible to obey. That’s because, in the natural state of man, it is impossible. There is no greater evidence of the inability of man to obey God’s Law than this one commandment. No human being with a fallen nature can possibly love God with all his heart, soul, and strength 24 hours a day. It’s humanly impossible. But to disobey any commandment of God is sin. Therefore, even without considering the sins we commit daily, we are all condemned by our inability to fulfill this one commandment. This is the reason Jesus continually reminded the Pharisees of their inability to keep the Law of God. He was trying to get them to see their utter spiritual bankruptcy and their need for a Savior. Without the cleansing of sin that He provides, and the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit who lives in the hearts of the redeemed, loving God to any degree is impossible.

But, as Christians, we have been cleansed from sin and we do have the Spirit. So how do we begin to love God the way we should? Just as the man in Mark 9:24 asked God to help his unbelief, so too we can ask God to help us in areas where we don’t love Him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. It is His power that we need to do the impossible, and we begin by seeking and appropriating that power.

In most cases, our love and affection for God grows more intense as time goes by. Certainly, young Christians newly saved are very much aware of the love of God and their love for Him. But it is through the witness of God’s faithfulness during times of struggle and trial that a deep love for God grows and grows. Over time, we witness His compassion, mercy, grace, and love for us, as well as His hatred for sin, His holiness, and His righteousness. We cannot love someone we don’t know, so knowing Him should be our first priority. Those who pursue God and His righteousness, who take seriously the command to love Him above all else, are those who are consumed with the things of God. They are eager to study God’s Word, eager to pray, eager to obey and honor God in all things, and eager to share Jesus Christ with others. It is through these spiritual disciplines that the love for God grows and matures to the glory of God.

Active
Good thread. I believe the Holy Spirit enables us to love GOD and our neighbor (assuming we're born again believers). Done through the process of sanctification and renewing our minds to become more like Christ. It's quite a battle and we know the mind is a battlefield between godly thoughts and ungodly thoughts.

Here's short explanation from GQ?
What does it mean to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength?

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength” (Deuteronomy 6:5). This is known as the Shema, taken from the first word “hear” in Hebrew. Modern Jews consider the recital of the Shema both evening and morning to be one of their most sacred duties. It was cited by Jesus as the “greatest commandment in the Law” (Matthew 22:36–37).

This command seems to be impossible to obey. That’s because, in the natural state of man, it is impossible. There is no greater evidence of the inability of man to obey God’s Law than this one commandment. No human being with a fallen nature can possibly love God with all his heart, soul, and strength 24 hours a day. It’s humanly impossible. But to disobey any commandment of God is sin. Therefore, even without considering the sins we commit daily, we are all condemned by our inability to fulfill this one commandment. This is the reason Jesus continually reminded the Pharisees of their inability to keep the Law of God. He was trying to get them to see their utter spiritual bankruptcy and their need for a Savior. Without the cleansing of sin that He provides, and the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit who lives in the hearts of the redeemed, loving God to any degree is impossible.

But, as Christians, we have been cleansed from sin and we do have the Spirit. So how do we begin to love God the way we should? Just as the man in Mark 9:24 asked God to help his unbelief, so too we can ask God to help us in areas where we don’t love Him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. It is His power that we need to do the impossible, and we begin by seeking and appropriating that power.

In most cases, our love and affection for God grows more intense as time goes by. Certainly, young Christians newly saved are very much aware of the love of God and their love for Him. But it is through the witness of God’s faithfulness during times of struggle and trial that a deep love for God grows and grows. Over time, we witness His compassion, mercy, grace, and love for us, as well as His hatred for sin, His holiness, and His righteousness. We cannot love someone we don’t know, so knowing Him should be our first priority. Those who pursue God and His righteousness, who take seriously the command to love Him above all else, are those who are consumed with the things of God. They are eager to study God’s Word, eager to pray, eager to obey and honor God in all things, and eager to share Jesus Christ with others. It is through these spiritual disciplines that the love for God grows and matures to the glory of God.
Thank you Chad for your thoughts and for posting "Got Questions" slant on this very difficult Scripture and Command from God to obey. I've pondered this Command to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, strength, and soul. I feel that we can love our Lord with all our heart, but not sure about mind, strength, and soul.

Our hearts have been captured by the Holy Spirit of Christ Jesus. As a result, His power in us is so powerful, that the thought of an "idol" to replace Jesus is not possible IMO. But, our minds race from one subject to another, our strength wanes as the day progresses, especially at 76 years of age, and our souls, since God, in the beginning, made us a living soul, therefore the "soul" just might qualify as being dedicated to God with "all the soul", maybe!

Just my thoughts.

Staff Member
If ye love Me keep My commandments
John 15:14

Greetings dear brothers and sisters

Thank you so much for expounding the scriptures.

Having read all the replies, I do have a few questions that I will post soon and would be grateful for further responses....thank you

Lord it is my chief complaint
That my love is weak and faint
Yet I love Thee and adore
O for grace to love Thee more*

*From hymn Hark my soul....William Cowper

Administrator
Staff Member
Thank you Chad for your thoughts and for posting "Got Questions" slant on this very difficult Scripture and Command from God to obey. I've pondered this Command to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, strength, and soul. I feel that we can love our Lord with all our heart, but not sure about mind, strength, and soul.

Our hearts have been captured by the Holy Spirit of Christ Jesus. As a result, His power in us is so powerful, that the thought of an "idol" to replace Jesus is not possible IMO. But, our minds race from one subject to another, our strength wanes as the day progresses, especially at 76 years of age, and our souls, since God, in the beginning, made us a living soul, therefore the "soul" just might qualify as being dedicated to God with "all the soul", maybe!

Just my thoughts.
That's an interesting perspective brother. I appreciate your take on this. I do believe strongly the mind is a battlefield, considering the bible tells us to hold thoughts captive in 2 Corinthians 10:5, but true I agree that it begins with the soul, the heart. If our heart is not right with God we're unlikely to care about our thought life. I hope that makes sense.

I'm enjoying this discussion! I hope you're all thinking carefully about this too.

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
Greetings,

The following is offered for the purpose of Bible study.

Luke 10:25-37
And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted Him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
And He said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
Genesis 3:1-6

1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

1John 2:15-16
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Matthew 4:1-11
1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

2 And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He was afterward an hungred.
And when the tempter came to Him, he said, If Thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

4 But He answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth Him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6 And saith unto Him, If Thou be the Son of God, cast Thyself down: for it is written, He shall give His angels charge concerning Thee: and in their hands they shall bear Thee up, lest at any time Thou dash Thy foot against a stone.

7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

8 Again, the devil taketh Him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth Him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9 And saith unto Him, All these things will I give Thee, if Thou wilt fall down and worship me.

10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.

11 Then the devil leaveth Him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto Him.

John 21:14-17
14 This is now the third time that Jesus shewed Himself to His disciples, after that He was risen from the dead.

15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me more than these? He saith unto Him, Yea, Lord; Thou knowest that I love Thee. He saith unto him, Feed My lambs.

16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me? He saith unto Him, Yea, Lord; Thou knowest that I love Thee. He saith unto him, Feed My sheep.

17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me? Peter was grieved because He said unto him the third time, Lovest thou Me? And he said unto Him, Lord, Thou knowest all things; Thou knowest that I love Thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed My sheep.

Hebrews 4:9-16
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with Whom we have to do.

14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Bless you ....><>

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
Joshua 7:1-21
But the children of Israel committed a trespass in the accursed thing: for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took of the accursed thing: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against the children of Israel. And Joshua sent men from Jericho to Ai, which is beside Bethaven, on the east side of Bethel, and spake unto them, saying, Go up and view the country. And the men went up and viewed Ai. And they returned to Joshua, and said unto him, Let not all the people go up; but let about two or three thousand men go up and smite Ai; and make not all the people to labour thither; for they are but few.
So there went up thither of the people about three thousand men: and they fled before the men of Ai. And the men of Ai smote of them about thirty and six men: for they chased them from before the gate even unto Shebarim, and smote them in the going down: wherefore the hearts of the people melted, and became as water.
And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the LORD until the eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads. And Joshua said, Alas, O Lord GOD, wherefore hast Thou at all brought this people over Jordan, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? would to God we had been content, and dwelt on the other side Jordan!
O Lord, what shall I say, when Israel turneth their backs before their enemies! For the Canaanites and all the inhabitants of the land shall hear of it, and shall environ us round and cut off our name from the earth: and what wilt Thou do unto Thy great name?

And the LORD said unto Joshua, Get thee up; wherefore liest thou thus upon thy face?
Israel hath sinned, and they have also transgressed My covenant which I commanded them: for they have even taken of the accursed thing, and have also stolen, and dissembled also, and they have put it even among their own stuff.
Therefore the children of Israel could not stand before their enemies, but turned their backs before their enemies, because they were accursed: neither will I be with you any more, except ye destroy the accursed from among you.

Up, sanctify the people, and say, Sanctify yourselves against to morrow: for thus saith the LORD God of Israel, There is an accursed thing in the midst of thee, O Israel: thou canst not stand before thine enemies, until ye take away the accursed thing from among you. In the morning therefore ye shall be brought according to your tribes: and it shall be, that the tribe which the LORD taketh shall come according to the families thereof; and the family which the LORD shall take shall come by households; and the household which the LORD shall take shall come man by man.
And it shall be, that he that is taken with the accursed thing shall be burnt with fire, he and all that he hath: because he hath transgressed the covenant of the LORD, and because he hath wrought folly in Israel.

So Joshua rose up early in the morning, and brought Israel by their tribes; and the tribe of Judah was taken: And he brought the family of Judah; and he took the family of the Zarhites: and he brought the family of the Zarhites man by man; and Zabdi was taken: And he brought his household man by man; and Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, was taken. And Joshua said unto Achan, My son, give, I pray thee, glory to the LORD God of Israel, and make confession unto Him; and tell me now what thou hast done; hide it not from me.

And Achan answered Joshua, and said, Indeed I have sinned against the LORD God of Israel, and thus and thus have I done: When I saw among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them; and, behold, they are hid in the earth in the midst of my tent, and the silver under it.

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
1Corinthians 10:13
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, Who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Galatians 6:1
Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
And,

Scrolling back to

1John 2:15-16
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
lust of the flesh - desire to do something apart from the will of God
lust of the eyes - desire to have something apart from the will of God
pride of life - desire to be something apart from the will of God

How is our love?

Bless you ....><>

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
Greetings,

Luke 10:25-37
And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted Him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
the Scripture in question here is part of dialogue between Jesus and who?
If we can see here Jesus is speaking to those of Judaic persuasion who generally attempted to trick Jesus we can understand that these words are not directly spoken to those who live not by the word written on tablets of stone but by the word written on their hearts.
Therefore, the teaching of love that we look for is to be found where?

Grace and Peace

Bless you ....><>

2 Corinthians 3
1 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?
2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: 5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: 8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. 10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth. 11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: 14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. 15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. 16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.