• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Christ centered community forums.

Join over 10,000 worldwide members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to night mode (or back to light/default theme) simply click on the "Site Menu" icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

Alcohol

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal Member
The Bible says Jesus tasted wine, but He didn't drink it.

Matt 27:34; they gave Him wine to drink mixed with gall; and after tasting it, He was unwilling to drink.
Matt 27:48; Immediately one of them ran, and taking a sponge, he filled it with sour wine and put it on a reed, and gave Him a drink.
Mark 15:23; They tried to give Him wine mixed with myrrh; but He did not take it.

Of course the very first miracle that Jesus did that is recorded in the Bible is... turning water into wine. (John 2)

Now it seems that a little drink every now and then isn't a terrible thing.

1 Tim 5:23; No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.

1 Tim 3:8; Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain,

Tit 1:7; For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain,

Tit 2:3; Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good,

It seems Paul didn't think we have to be "tee-totalers".
However he did say, don't do it if causes people to stumble.

Rom 14:21; It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles.

But there is a point... where alcohol affects how we think. This is called drunkenness.

Eph 5:18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,

Luke 21:34; "Be on guard, so that your hearts will not be weighted down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of life, and that day will not come on you suddenly like a trap;

Rom 13:13; Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy.

1 Pet 4:3; For the time already past is sufficient for you to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles, having pursued a course of sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties and abominable idolatries.

There is an ultimate price to pay for living a life of drunkenness.

Gal 5:21; envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Cor 6:9; Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
1 Cor 6:10; nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Loyal Member
When Paul was telling about Jesus giving the disciple instruction about communion (the Lord's supper) He said..

1 Cor 11:21; for in your eating each one takes his own supper first; and one is hungry and another is drunk.
1 Cor 11:22; What! Do you not have houses in which to eat and drink? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? In this I will not praise you.