Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

Adulterous Marriage

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by Fragrant Grace, Jun 14, 2018 at 4:29 PM.

Random Thread
  1. Thou shalt not commit adultery
    Matthew 19:15

Greetings everyone,

I'm hoping to get some wholesome Biblically based replies

Adultery is common in the world around us but it shouldnt be named amongst Christians

What if adultery occurs in Christians?
    For example marrying someone who has been married twice before?
    Is this adultery?

What is the way forward if this has already happened?

Will the marriage ever be truly blessed?

Thank you

2. It is a hard question to answer without more facts.

First the the reason they are divorced matters.
    Matt 5:32; gives a valid reason for divorce. It is not sin in this case. ( Matt 19:9; ) says you allowed to get divorced if they are unfaithful to you.

Some say that Mark 10:11; isn't saying if you are divorced you can't get re-married, but rather if you are getting divorced
    with the intention of getting re-married.

Also there is another reason it is OK to get divorced. 1 Cor 7:15; says if this happens, the believer is not "under bondage" (to the law) in this case.

================================================================================================

There are some sins we can make "worse". For example a girl gets pregnant while she is unmarried.
    That's a bad thing. So then should she get an abortion to "fix it"?

I feel it's the same thing in marriage. If two divorced people (who were not divorced for the reasons above) get married to each other.
    Should they get a divorce to "fix it". Does that really fix it? God hates divorce also. ( Malachi 2:16; ) so should we add another sin
    to the sin already done?

================================================================================================

Also if we take the three passages that come to mind here.

Matt 19:9; And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Mark 10:11; And He *said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her;
    Mark 10:12; and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.”

Luke 16:18; “Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries one who is divorced from a husband commits adultery.

You can take these verse two ways... If you have ever been divorced (except for the two circumstances above) you can never get re-married.

Some say this pretty difficult, especially if the divorce wasn't your fault.

The other way some people take these verses is... if you already have someone in mind. You are getting divorced with the intention of marrying
    someone you already have feelings for. Some say this is different from getting re-married years after you got divorced to someone you didn't
    know when you got divorced. (At least not emotionally involved with).

Is there any sin that God cannot forgive? ( blasphemy of the Holy Spirit excepted )
    Keep in mind David not only committed adultery, but had the woman's husband killed (indirectly, but he was still responsible)
    Yet in Psalm 51 David repents. God forgives him. There were some consequences, he lost a baby. But eventually Solomon came
    from this marriage. ( 2 Sam 12:24; ) it says.. "the Lord loved him".

My advice is... if you are married... stay married. ( if you can )

Christ4Ever and Fragrant Grace like this.
  3. Another thing here I would mention.

If you ever get divorced. Try to reconcile with your spouse if you can. However if either of you had sexual relations with someone while you were divorced, it changes things.

Deut 24:1; “When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out from his house,
    Deut 24:2; and she leaves his house and goes and becomes another man’s wife,
    Deut 24:3; and if the latter husband turns against her and writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, or if the latter husband dies who took her to be his wife,
    Deut 24:4; then her former husband who sent her away is not allowed to take her again to be his wife, since she has been defiled; for that is an abomination before the Lord, and you shall not bring sin on the land which the Lord your God gives you as an inheritance.

Fragrant Grace likes this.
  4. I wouldn't say all cases result in the marriage not being blessed. It could be we are ignorant of scripture on marriage and marry someone who treats us well, giving them a chance as we all have past faults. It could also be that we were not serving the Lord and then decided to serve Him.

The verses BAC quoted Matt 19:9, Mark 10:11, Mark 10:12 and Luke 16:18 all have to do with the present. All are examples of mortal sins taking place. I find it interesting that so many scriptures speak to this. It is evidence that God wants the ''grey'' area removed. He wants there to be absolutely no doubt that it is all a mortal sin. All adultery. Now there is much scripture on the punishment and curse on any person in such a sin. A person who calls themselves a Christian but does such, we must not even eat with them 1 Cor 5:11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

But for the person that is already in such a relationship. Their ex partners abandoned and already moved on. A verse like 1 Cor 7:14 would apply. They can still turn things around.

I do believe one would need to go for counseling if they planned on repenting and re-uniting with their ex that they abandoned. Let's say for example, I am the wicked person. I leave one good wife for another good wife. With my lies I deceive the new wife. After five years, I want to make right with God. What are my options? Scripture cannot cater for every option. But we cannot ignore that it caters for many and sets ground rules in stone. It also says in Phil 2:12 that we must work out our salvation in fear and trembling. So the question I would need to ask myself, is how in fear and trembling of eternity in hell, do I deal with the predicament I am in? I imagine I would come clean with my current wife. Repent to my prior. If she was still single, I would have to offer a reconciliation and find a way to ''look after'' my current wife? Counselling would be a necessity. The three of us with an elder. His blessing on our final decision.

Reasoning together in fear and trembling. That is how we resolve difficult scenario's.

Isaiah 1:18 Come now and let us reason together. Phil 2:12 Work out your salvation in fear and trembling.

5. I realize this has very little to do with the question asked in the OP, but I have a question/comment about this verse.

Matt 5:32; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

"makes her commit adultery" - it seems the spouse who wants to get divorced is (at least partially) responsible if
    their ex-spouse gets re-married.

Why did Jesus word this passage this way? Did they commit adultery simply because they got divorced?
    Or did Jesus know most of them would eventually re-marry?

6. Thank ypu for your replies thus far @B-A-C @KingJ .
    I am pondering all your replies.
    Thank you for sharing scripture

For a believer beating themselves up for past sins, true repentance and knowing that the Lord will fully forgive such a serious sin is a wonderful truth to hold fast to when guilt prevails.

Please continue to share if so led.

7. I suggest it's because in Jesus' day, women had very little economic power - dependent on men. So a divorce woman would need to find a husband in order to save herself from becoming destitute.

I'm putting that forward as a reasonable/probable explanation, not a watertight fact.

Sent from a mobile device
    B-A-C likes this.