Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

About water baptism

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by Yiteng Zhang, Aug 1, 2018.

1. I recently came across some video preachings on Youtube saying that water baptism is actually not necessary as long as you accepted Jesus and received the Holy Spirit. (Of course I know that being baptized by the Holy Spirit is the key to being saved). But is water baptism just redundant or useless?

I founded there are several cases in the New Testament (after Jesus has ascended up to heaven), when Gentiles received water baptism, as a means of being converted and accepting Jesus.

an Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8
    Cornelius (he was water baptized by Peter after he received the Holy Spirit)
    Lydia of Thyatira and her family
    jailors in Phillipi

And there are many other examples.

And in Jesus' Great Commission, He also said: go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit...

So why do those people say that?

2. #2 B-A-C, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    This is something many seem to be divided on. It has been debated here on TalkJesus frequently.

Whether or not it is a requirement, just about everyone agrees it is something we should do.

Some key verses about baptism

Rom 6:4; Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
    Col 2:12; having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
    1 Pet 3:21; Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
    Acts 2:38; Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
    Mark 16:16; "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

There is another thread about the great commission recently started. Part of the great commission says...

Matt 28:19; "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

John 4:1; Therefore when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John

I myself, don't understand why anyone would not want to do it. Even if it isn't a requirement, why argue about it? We are told to do it, why not just do it?

3. For me when I came to Christ or should I say when he came to me, and saved me the first thing I wanted to do was get baptized.

4. I agree.

Dave M likes this.