• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Abomination

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
This is an interesting word. It occurs 46 times in the Bible (NASB)
43 times in the OT and 3 times in the NT. Abominations (plural) is there another 65 times.

Strongs defines abomination ...

tô‛êbah tô‛êbah
to-ay-baw', to-ay-baw'
Feminine active participle of H8581; properly something disgusting (morally), that is, (as noun) an abhorrence; especially idolatry or (concretely) an idol: - abominable (custom, thing), abomination.
Total KJV occurrences: 117

I have often heard the phrase "all sin is the same in the eyes of God", but of course this phrase isn't in the Bible.

It seems there are different kinds of sins. For example 1 Jn 5:16-17; says "there is a sin not leading to death".
So apparently one sin doesn't lead to death? There has been much debate over the years about what that sin might be.

Then we have sins like the 10 commandments. The Bible simply says "thou shalt not..."
But we also have certain sins that the Bible calls abominations.

For example homosexuality is an abomination ( Lev 18:22; )
Taking graven images of other gods or even the gold they were made out of is an abomination ( Deut 7:25; )
Cross-dressing in an abomination (Deut 22:5; )

Some people are surprised to find out that if you divorce someone, and then they have sex with someone else you are not supposed to re-marry them. This is also an abomination. ( Deut 24:1-4; )

If you are a female prostitute, or a male prostitute (a "dog") you cannot bring the money you earned from this
and give it to the church, this also is an abomination. ( Deut 23:18; )

Proverbs 6 lists seven things that are an abomination to God.
Prov 6:16; There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
Prov 6:17; Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood,
Prov 6:18; A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that run rapidly to evil,
Prov 6:19; A false witness who utters lies, And one who spreads strife among brothers.

It seems even "spreading strife among brothers" is an abomination. Yet it seems to be the main past time
of some Christians.

Prov 16:12; says it is an abomination for kings (presidents, government leaders) to commit wicked acts.

Prov 28:9; He who turns away his ear from listening to the law, Even his prayer is an abomination
It seems even the prayers of the wicked are an abomination to God.

There are also prophetic abominations. In Daniel 11:31; and Daniel 12:11; we see something called
"the abomination of desolation". The Bible doesn't say exactly what this was, but tradition holds that Antiochus Epiphanes III sacrificed a swine (the most unclean animal in Judaism) upon the temple mount.

In the old testament, even marrying a non-believer was an abomination. ( Mal 2:11; Ezra 9:14; )

I mentioned earlier sometimes this word is translated differently.. Jeremiah is a good example.

Jer 2:11; "Has a nation changed gods When they were not gods? But My people have changed their glory For that which does not profit.
Jer 2:12; "Be appalled, O heavens, at this, And shudder, be very desolate," declares the LORD.
Jer 2:13; "For My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, The fountain of living waters, To hew for themselves cisterns, Broken cisterns That can hold no water.

Lev 18:26 says not only the Jews are guilty, but any stranger or foreigner (some Bible say "alien") who
doesn't keep the commandments is guilty of an abomination.

The "woman on a beast" in Rev 17:4-5; has a cup full of abominations, the "mother of abominations" is
written on her forehead.

In Matt 24:15; and Mark 13:14; we see that in the end times, this same abomination will be practiced for a time.

Rev 21:27; says no one who "practices" abomination will enter into the New Jerusalem.

So it seems some things are still abominations to God, even in the NT.

One of things that brought up this subject again, was the misuse of this word. Often in a sensationalist
way or a troliing way.

For example is giving tithes an abomination to God? Well tithes may not be required for you to get to heaven, but giving to the church is hardly an abomination. People throw this word around to get peoples
attention. If you're reading this thread maybe it worked :smile:

Loyal
Back to all sin being the same....

I notice a few places in the new testament we are told to resist Satan and sin. ( Eph 6:13; James 4:7; 1 Pet 5:9; etc.. )
But yet when it comes to sexual sin.. we aren't told to resist, we are told to flee...
1 Cor 6:18 Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.
I like the way the NLT puts this...
1 Cor 6:18 Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body.

Some sins are just sin. But there is at least one sin we can commit against our own body. There no other sins like this.

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
Greetings,

Thanks @B-A-C . Some interesting points. From what you wrote, it appears that some 'tithes' are an abomination.
Are 'flee' and 'resist' still valid or are they a bit extreme or fanatical? Winking at sin or calling it something else or excusing it away appear to be a far more acceptable way today which doesn't upset anyone or make them feel guilty or ashamed.

I was looking at the words relating to our English word, 'abomination', recently, so it's good to be reminded of God's perspective again.

Thank you.

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
it appears that some 'tithes' are an abomination.
Unless either of us is a prostitute, I think we are good to go :smile:

Are 'flee' and 'resist' still valid or are they a bit extreme or fanatical? Winking at sin or calling it something else or excusing it away appear to be a far more acceptable way today which doesn't upset anyone or make them feel guilty or ashamed.
Of course there are those who say all of the Bible is too extreme. (Obama said the sermon on the mount was too radical).

Jer 6:13; “For from the least of them even to the greatest of them, Everyone is greedy for gain,
And from the prophet even to the priest Everyone deals falsely.
Jer 6:14; “They have healed the brokenness of My people superficially, Saying, ‘Peace, peace,’
But there is no peace.
Jer 6:15; “Were they ashamed because of the abomination they have done?
They were not even ashamed at all;
They did not even know how to blush.
Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; At the time that I punish them,
They shall be cast down,” says the Lord.

I don't God is worried about people being guilty or ashamed. He would much rather have that than arrogance
and non-repentance.

Jer 8:10; “Therefore I will give their wives to others, Their fields to new owners;
Because from the least even to the greatest Everyone is greedy for gain;
From the prophet even to the priest Everyone practices deceit.
Jer 8:11; “They heal the brokenness of the daughter of My people superficially,
Saying, ‘Peace, peace,’
But there is no peace.
Jer 8:12 “Were they ashamed because of the abomination they had done?
They certainly were not ashamed,

And they did not know how to blush;
Therefore they shall fall among those who fall;
At the time of their punishment they shall be brought down,”
Says the Lord.

Loyal
And has not changed at all even though there may be and certainly are differences in people. What was abomination to God then [OT times] is still abomination to Him now. The rules, if we can call them rules applicable to each person may also differ for various , God is fair and He is no respecter of persons.