• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Abomination

Administrator
Staff Member
ABOMINATION — anything that offends the spiritual, religious, or moral sense of a person and causes extreme disgust, hatred, or loathing. Among the objects described as an “abomination” were the carved images of pagan gods (Deut. 7:25–26), the sacrifice to God of inferior, blemished animals (Deut. 17:1), the practice of idolatry (Deut. 17:2–5), and the fashioning of a “carved or molded image” of a false god (Deut. 27:15; Is. 44:19).

Other abominations were sexual transgressions (Leviticus 18), the adoption of the clothing of the opposite sex (Deut. 22:5), and the practice of magic, witchcraft, and “spiritism” (Deut. 18:9–12). Most of the Hebrew words translated “abomination” have the meaning of “impure,” “filthy,” and “unclean”—that which is foul-smelling and objectionable to a holy God.

ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION — a despicable misuse of the Temple of the Lord during a time of great trouble—an event foretold by the prophet Daniel.

The phrase is found in Matthew 24:15 and Mark 13:14 as a quotation from Daniel 11:31 and 12:11. In Daniel, the words mean “the abomination that makes desolate.” In other words, Daniel prophesied that the Temple would be used for an “abominable” purpose at some time in the future. As a result, God's faithful people would no longer worship there—so great would be their moral revulsion, contempt, and abhorrence at the sacrilege—and the Temple would become “desolate.”
According to the verses in the gospels, a similar misuse of the Temple would take place in the future. This would show that a time of great trouble was coming on Judea. People should take warning and flee to the mountains (Matt. 24:16; Mark 13:14).

Some believe Daniel's prophecy was initially fulfilled about 165 B.C. when Antiochus IV (Epiphanes), Greek ruler of Syria, polluted the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem by sacrificing a pig on the holy altar. This sacrificing of an UNCLEAN pig was the worst kind of abomination that could have taken place. A more complete fulfillment, however, occurred when the Romans sacked the Jewish Temple about A.D. 70 (Luke 21:5–7, 20–22). But others insist that the final abomination of desolation refers to the idolatrous image or the “man of sin” who will take over God's place in the Temple and make people bow down and worship him (2 Thess. 2:3–4). According to this interpretation, this will be the final act of sacrilege that marks the beginning of the end time.

Matthew 24:15
When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand

KJV Commentary on Matthew 24:15

Ye must be taken generically, since the disciples have not lived to see this take place. The abomination of desolation refers to Daniel 9:27; 11:31; 12:11; where Antiochus Epiphanes' profanation of the Jewish temple worship would foreshadow a similar and more severe act by the eschatological Antichrist. Whereas Antiochus offered a pig on the sacred altar of the Temple, the Antichrist will offer himself (II Thess 2:4)! The action of desecration by Antiochus, which David had predicted, will now be repeated in the future by the Antichrist as the signal of the beginning of the Great Tribulation and the breaking of the covenant “in the midst of the week” (Dan 9:27), i.e., the seventieth week of Daniel's prophecy, whose length is forty-two months (Rev 11:2), 1,260 days (Rev 12:6), or “time, and times, and half a time” (Dan 7:25; Rev 12:14). The holy place, i.e. Temple, which will be rebuilt. Kent (p. 86) rightly observes that this cancels limitation of Daniel's prophecy to just the days of Antiochus (Allen, p. 256) since Jesus, in His day, was still awaiting further fulfillment, and it likewise goes beyond the catastrophe of a.d. 70 (Stagg, p. 200), since it is called the greatest tribulation of all time (Mt 24:21).

Daniel 9:27
And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

KJV Commentary on Daniel 9:27

And he. He refers back to the prince that shall come of verse 26. It predicts the coming of the Roman Antichrist during the Tribulation Period after the Rapture of the church. He shall confirm the covenant with many for one week. The Antichrist will pledge protection of Israel for a seven-year period, but in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease. After three and one half years, the Antichrist will break his covenant with Israel and defile their new Temple. The New Testament confirms this in II Thessalonians 2:4 where Paul declares that the Antichrist, the man of sin, will sit “… in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.” Up until that point the Antichrist will have seemed to be Israel's protector. His true intentions will then be known. Revelation states that power was given unto him to continue forty and two months (Rev 13:5). He will have only one half of the seven-year period left after he breaks his compact with Israel. As a result, Israel will be forced to flee and to hide under God's protection “… for a time, and times, and half a time …” (Rev 12:14), again a reference to the last three and one half years of Daniel's final seventieth week of years.

The abomination of desolation

Is when Gods people set up an idol in their hearts and then go before him to inquire of him.

When they do this God will answer them according to their idol= he will send them a strong delusion so that they believe the lie.

He does this so that the abomination is set up in their hearts to love this lie more than the truth and then he makes them desolate.

We are the temple of God. Those who defile the temple of God He will destroy paul said.

Proverbs 12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.

Thought I'd throw another verse into the mix.

Loyal
Great article -as usual.
I too have heard that the "original" A of D was Antiochus E desicrating the temple in Jerusalem as well. I know of no scripture that specifically says it, but we do know it had something to do with sacrifice and the temple, so that seems as likely as anything.
A swine was likely he "uncleanest" animals to the Jews of that time.

One thing that this does bring up if it is true, is that if the anti-christ is going to do this over again and Matthew Henry, Scofield and Ryrie suggest, then that means that Solomon's temple must be rebuilt in Jerusalem again in order for this to happen. (This would be the 3rd temple, we know the first time was in the OT)

This means that another prophecy would have to be completed (rebuilding the temple) before the anti-christ reveals himself. If the temple is to be built on the original site in Jerusalem, it would be a miracle of God indeed, why?

We have the wailing wall (one of the original walls of the temple) - a Jewish site.
We have the tomb of the Holy Seplecre (a Christian site)
and the Dome of the Rock (One of the more Holy sites in Islam) all taking up a part of this space. To get leaders from all three religions to agree to tearing down their Holy site, so that the temple coud be rebuit.. well that would be a miracle indeed.
But if God says it's going to happen.. well then...

Great article -as usual.
I too have heard that the "original" A of D was Antiochus E desicrating the temple in Jerusalem as well. I know of no scripture that specifically says it, but we do know it had something to do with sacrifice and the temple, so that seems as likely as anything.
A swine was likely he "uncleanest" animals to the Jews of that time.

One thing that this does bring up if it is true, is that if the anti-christ is going to do this over again and Matthew Henry, Scofield and Ryrie suggest, then that means that Solomon's temple must be rebuilt in Jerusalem again in order for this to happen. (This would be the 3rd temple, we know the first time was in the OT)

This means that another prophecy would have to be completed (rebuilding the temple) before the anti-christ reveals himself. If the temple is to be built on the original site in Jerusalem, it would be a miracle of God indeed, why?

We have the wailing wall (one of the original walls of the temple) - a Jewish site.
We have the tomb of the Holy Seplecre (a Christian site)
and the Dome of the Rock (One of the more Holy sites in Islam) all taking up a part of this space. To get leaders from all three religions to agree to tearing down their Holy site, so that the temple coud be rebuit.. well that would be a miracle indeed.
But if God says it's going to happen.. well then...
<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>
BAC,

Revelation 11:1–2
KJV

11 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

This passage explains that John is told to measure the temple, but what temple is that? The temple in Jerusalem is going to be rebuilt! Verse two points out that the courtyard of the temple is given to the Gentiles. What does that tell you?
The Jews will have only part of the temple mount to rebuild the tribulation temple. Presently, they don’t have the use of any of the temple mount. The last half of verse two states that the Gentiles (anyone not Jewish) will have control of Jerusalem for forty-two months, or half of the tribulation period. That means the Jews will lose control of the temple and Jerusalem for the last half of the tribulation period.

Last edited:
Active
And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God. (Luke 16:15)

I keep hearing the Daniel prophecies were fulfilled (mostly in 70 A.D.), but I cannot buy into all that.

As of right now, today, orthodox Jews in Jerusalem are preparing to build another temple and start up the Old Testament animal sacrifices again. They already have cornerstones cut for the new temple, have temple articles on display, and have been drafting Levitcal priests for the priesthood. And the Sanhedrin has formed up again. (see templemountfaithful.org).

Furthermore, the signs our Lord Jesus gave in Matt.24 and Mark 13 directly parallel the Seals of Revelation 6 for the end. And our Lord Jesus mentioned the placing of the "abomination of desolation" idol in a temple in Jerusalem long after Antiochus IV had died. And also, the Romans in 70 A.D. never placed the abomination inside the temple because the temple burned down before they could get control of it.

So my advice is to keep watching the events going on in today's Jerusalem, and don't be deceived.

I keep hearing the Daniel prophecies were fulfilled (mostly in 70 A.D.), but I cannot buy into all that.

If you study history paying close attention to dates and times length you see why some say it has already been fufilled. some even claim it has been fufilled twice already due to the same reason. personally i think it has been fufilled and will be fufilled in our lifetime. dual purpose.

edit: I came accross some historical info. the length of time for I forget precisely now like 72 weeks er whatever, its a time and times and a time and half, something to that effect. well that time with also a temple of Zeus was set up which is why they can claim it has been fufilled due to the "abomination of desolation"

Last edited:
In 165-170 B.C., Antiochus IV conquered Jerusalem, sacrificed swine inside the temple, and then set up an abomination idol to Zeus demanding all to worship it. Of course that was history; it was even history by the time of Christ's first coming, so Jesus in Matthew 24 was not talking about Antiochus when He warned of the "abomination of desolation" from the Book of Daniel.

There are some Bible prophecies that serve as a re-occurring pattern. The placing of an abomination idol in the temple in Jerusalem to make it desolate is one of them.

In 165-170 B.C., Antiochus IV conquered Jerusalem, sacrificed swine inside the temple, and then set up an abomination idol to Zeus demanding all to worship it. Of course that was history; it was even history by the time of Christ's first coming, so Jesus in Matthew 24 was not talking about Antiochus when He warned of the "abomination of desolation" from the Book of Daniel.

There are some Bible prophecies that serve as a re-occurring pattern. The placing of an abomination idol in the temple in Jerusalem to make it desolate is one of them.

yes not in matt 24, but in from the time line of daniel the "a time and times and a time and a half does line up, and setting up a zeus idol would be well, could be reffered to as the abomination, and thats why some claim this. however there was another instance i want to say around 70 a.d. I am kinda rusty on my history on this as I am looking for the prophecy to be fufilled in this day and so thats what I am studying. when i get more time I will look it up if no one beats me to it. I have been kinda busy. again dont quote me on the 70 a.d. thing.

yes not in matt 24, but in from the time line of daniel the "a time and times and a time and a half does line up, and setting up a zeus idol would be well, could be reffered to as the abomination, and thats why some claim this. however there was another instance i want to say around 70 a.d. I am kinda rusty on my history on this as I am looking for the prophecy to be fufilled in this day and so thats what I am studying. when i get more time I will look it up if no one beats me to it. I have been kinda busy. again dont quote me on the 70 a.d. thing.

Yes, in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21, Christ is warning His servants in Jerusalem (and all believers on Him) about the "abomination of desolation" events of the Book of Daniel being setup in Jerusalem for the very end of this present world.

What Antiochus IV did in 165-170 B.C. with setting up the idol abomination in the temple at Jerusalem serves as a pattern for the "abomination of desolation" prophecy.

Matt 24:12-15
12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
(KJV)

The context of that is for the very end of this world, and given along with it is the warning of the "abomination of desolation" standing in the holy place, which is put for an abomination idol standing in the temple in Jerusalem.

Rev 13:14-15
14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
(KJV)

That "image of the beast" is that idol of the future that Christ was talking about in Matthew 24 from the Book of Daniel.

Last edited:
I know it is for the end. I am only giving examples on why some claim it has already happened. the real proof is at the end of verse 6... And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

I know it is for the end. I am only giving examples on why some claim it has already happened. the real proof is at the end of verse 6... And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

That Matt.24:6 "but the end is not yet" idea is in relation with Apostle Paul's timing of the "Peace and safety" which the deceived will be proclaiming (1 Thess.5). The opposite of a time of wars and rumors of wars is a time of peace. That aligns with the Daniel prophecy about the little horn-Antichrist because he is to come to power using flattery and peace.

Some Preterists and Historicists like to try and claim the Roman army setup an abomination idol in 70 A.D. Jerusalem, but there is no history of any such thing. The reason is because the "abomination of desolation" event from Daniel requires a standing temple in Jerusalem, and the 2nd temple burned down before the Romans could capture it (per the Jewish historian Josephus).

Active
Christ is building the third temple, called the New Jerusalem. This is also the temple John was told to measure. This is a spiritual temple, not a house made with hands.

The abomination of desolation is standing at the pulpits already. They continue to keep the law and reject the Spirit. And they are very offended by spirit filled people entering in. We are quickly dismissed.

They lay heavy burdens upon men grievous to be born and they have not entered in themselves.
How can a speaker tell someone how to be born again when they have not received His baptism? He has a baptism to be baptized with.
When one has entered in His door, there is immediate, supernatural change. One indeed has a testimony to tell. He shall know them by their fruits. We are a peculiar people, a royal preisthood, speaking in Spirit and in truth, rightly dividing the Word of truth, for it is God who gives us what ye ought to say.

The Christian population is still trying to learn abt Him, rather than know Him. Those at the pulpits are hirelings, and care nothing for the flock, but appease the flock so the money tray stays full and their pay is secure.

Even ISIS is standing bold in Allah and calling out all nations, they don't care how many come, how many tanks or weapons one brings, they will kill us all and our number only multiples their faith.
Where is the Christian's?
None realize we have entered the greatest war of all time? It is a spiritual war. Have you entered in and allowed God to dress you in His armor? Your guns won't work. Do you recognize the spirits that speak? Is the Word written upon the tables of your heart?
REPENT! For the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
All praise glory and honor be unto God. Amen

Loyal
The temple in these last days is not a physical temple, for God does not dwell in buildings built by human hands. His temple is now and will continue to be on this earth the body of Christ, followers of Jesus Christ. The temple the Gentiles will trample on is the church, the people of God, not on a physical structure. We are the ones being measured (see Rev. 2-3). Satan and all his hordes are trampling on the church, and many are being persecuted and put to death for their faith in Jesus Christ, and this is coming to America, too. Satan and his workers of iniquity are already trampling on the church here in America, though, via deception and manipulation and false teaching coming from the pulpits of these fellowships of believers. He has turned much of the church into businesses of human origin, marketed just like any other businesses, and following business schemes of people who are in the business of marketing the church to the world, and thus they are diluting the gospel to make it more acceptable to the world. And, this is an abomination to the Lord.

Loyal
As well, the physical city of Jerusalem is no longer the Holy City. We, the body of Christ, are the Holy City on which the Gentiles (Nations) are trampling and will trample. The Jews who do not believe in Jesus Christ as Savior and Messiah are numbered among the Gentiles who are trampling God's Holy City, the heavenly Jerusalem, which is from above, not of this earth. It is a spiritual city, not a physical city. The physical city of Jerusalem is of Hagar, because she is in slavery with her children.

Galatians 4:21-31: Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not listen to the law? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by a slave woman and one by a free woman. 23 But the son of the slave was born according to the flesh, while the son of the free woman was born through promise. 24 Now this may be interpreted allegorically: these women are two covenants. One is from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery; she is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia; she corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother. 27 For it is written,

“Rejoice, O barren one who does not bear;
break forth and cry aloud, you who are not in labor!
For the children of the desolate one will be more
than those of the one who has a husband.”

28 Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 But just as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so also it is now. 30 But what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the slave woman and her son, for the son of the slave woman shall not inherit with the son of the free woman.” 31 So, brothers, we are not children of the slave but of the free woman.​

Abomination: a thing that causes disgust or hatred or a feeling of hatred.

What causes this for one may not for another.

Active
Abomination: a thing that causes disgust or hatred or a feeling of hatred.

What causes this for one may not for another.
So because the high priest and elders of the people hated Jesus, disgusted, jealous and envious of Him, was Jesus the abomination? God forbid.

Jesus spoke what Father gave Him to speak and they hated Him. They sought how they might kill Him and they did.

So the thing that causes the hatred is the abomination? Or those that are hatred?

Loyal
Christ is building the third temple, called the New Jerusalem. This is also the temple John was told to measure. This is a spiritual temple, not a house made with hands.

The Christian population is still trying to learn abt Him, rather than know Him. Those at the pulpits are hirelings, and care nothing for the flock, but appease the flock so the money tray stays full and their pay is secure.

Yes, indeed, but many who are bearing the label of Christian are not even trying to learn about Him, much less to know Him. Learning about is not a completely evil thing and someone who knows about Him may eventually desire to come to KNOW Him as well. Woe is us!

Even ISIS is standing bold in Allah and calling out all nations, they don't care how many come, how many tanks or weapons one brings, they will kill us all and our number only multiples their faith.
Where is the Christian's?
None realize we have entered the greatest war of all time? It is a spiritual war. Have you entered in and allowed God to dress you in His armor? Your guns won't work. Do you recognize the spirits that speak? Is the Word written upon the tables of your heart?
REPENT! For the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
All praise glory and honor be unto God. Amen

And with all of this that is happening on the outside, what is happening on the inside of you and of me? Therein is also a warfare for our hearts. Only when people stop calling on him can they people be caused to "as lightning fall from heaven". People who do know God, rather than just about Him, have already attained a level of "heaven" but some, who have both been called and who have acknowledged that call, have taken their eyes off of the Lord too long or too many times and begun to sink into the ocean of man and his ways.

God loses no battles, but we still have the power that He initially gave to every man to choose our own ways rather than His way. When we make such a wrong choice, God steps back out of the battle and we lose. Anyone who has sinned since he first believed has done this but God is merciful. Is there not however a time when we like King Saul [who was God's anointed], have gone so far away from God so many times that we will lose all that we once had, including Hope?