• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

A crucifix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A crucifix:

The crucifix portrays the blood of Christ shed for all in remission of sins. It is the symbol of ultimate sacrifice. There is a saying “I you don’t know what true love is…look at a crucifix.” It is more than a barren cross, the very image from which all deamons flee- of Christ at that moment he gave himself up- conquering death and sin. As an image of the risen Christ is one of Christ who has conquered, the crucifix is Christ conquering.

“And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.”
– John 12:32

But Jesus is not on the cross anymore. He has ascended to heaven and seated at the Father’s right hand. Yet, a crucifix does not say “Christ is still there suffering” it is saying “…for us, he DID THIS.” He endured that painful and humiliating death so that we don’t have to.
In this moment of weakness when he cried out “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Jesus was most strong. He held his hand over death, crushed the devil underfoot and drew all men to God. That is why the crucifix is especially strong... and beautiful.

“And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of man be lifted up:
That whosoever believeth in him may not perish, but may have life everlasting.
For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son: that whosoever believeth in him may not perish, but may have life everlasting.”
-John 3:14-16

This echoes the great faith of Abraham's near-sacrifice of Issac, his first-born son. Can you imagine the pain and loss that Abraham must have felt knowing God requested the blood of his own son? In the end, God delivered Abraham of this grisly duty by presenting him with a lamb.
Likewise, Jesus Christ is the Lamb slain for ALL MEN. The first-born and only Son of God who must perish to deliver the faithful. The sacrifice of Christ was done out of love as these People of Isreal did their sacrifices out of faith and hope.
Faith thus equals love as does sacrifice...the ultimate sacrifice is the greatest love. Those who look upon this greatest love of God with utmost thanksgiving, memorance and faith, will indeed not perish, delivered by Christ, but have eternal life with the Lord.

The sacrifice of Christ as fulfillment of the Old Testament, as purchase for man’s salvation, as the greatest hope and love the faithful can look upon
- all that is summed up in a crucifix.

Actually it is Jesus Christ and Him crucified...not Jesus Christ and the crucifix...1Co 2:2

God had to destroy the serpent in the desert because his people started idolizing the serpent...probably why the wooden stake Jesus died on was`nt preserved ...

But I digress :embarasse

images

I don't know if they preserved any of the crosses. Interesting point. I think there might be pieces of the true cross somewhere...

I want to elaborate that the crucifix is a powerful symbol and not used as an idol. People place it in their churches to remember Christ's sacrifice and great love. Often art and statues are used to remind of holy things and to illustrate Biblical concepts. The Early Christians used images in their churches to describe conplicated things such as the Annunciation and Baptism of Christ. Like a dove symbolizing the Holy Spirit.

Works of art are a source and beauty that show Christ's message through the senses so that we use them to glorify him. A piece of art, a statue or image can reflect the the glory back onto Him, not being sacred it itself- but having sacred meaning.
..just clearing that up.

Actually it is Jesus Christ and Him crucified...not Jesus Christ and the crucifix...1Co 2:2

God had to destroy the serpent in the desert because his people started idolizing the serpent...probably why the wooden stake Jesus died on was`nt preserved ...

But I digress :embarasse

I agree Coconut, I think that the crucifix is an object of worship.

I don't know if they preserved any of the crosses. Interesting point. I think there might be pieces of the true cross somewhere...

I want to elaborate that the crucifix is a powerful symbol and not used as an idol. People place it in their churches to remember Christ's sacrifice and great love. Often art and statues are used to remind of holy things and to illustrate Biblical concepts. The Early Christians used images in their churches to describe conplicated things such as the Annunciation and Baptism of Christ. Like a dove symbolizing the Holy Spirit.

Works of art are a source and beauty that show Christ's message through the senses so that we use them to glorify him. A piece of art, a statue or image can reflect the the glory back onto Him, not being sacred it itself- but having sacred meaning.
..just clearing that up.

So then your saying that Catholics will forget about Christ's sacrifice if they don't see a crucifix now and then.

No

No, we turn our eyes upon Jesus. What's wrong with a reminder of Christ's true love as we are surrounded by a hate-filled and suffering world.

Seriously... sometimes the Bible can be an object of worship. Should be ban all religious imagery? Smash every statue? They are not worshipped I say leave them be. Spirituality without artistic beuty is blind and lack indeed.

No, we turn our eyes upon Jesus. What's wrong with a reminder of Christ's true love as we are surrounded by a hate-filled and suffering world.

Seriously... sometimes the Bible can be an object of worship. Should be ban all religious imagery? Smash every statue? They are not worshipped I say leave them be. Spirituality without artistic beuty is blind and lack indeed.

I experience Christ's love every moment of everyday there's no need of a reminder unless you forget.

I hate you say it, but you're an extremist and your hatred of religious imagery is refusing artists the desire to glorify God with their works.

What about the Incarnation of Christ to profane human flesh?

God takes the ordinary and makes it his own. He gave us our senses so that we may use them fully to worship him, gave us art so that we may attempt to understand him, gave us music so that we may lift our prayers to him. It is all done for him, we use our earthy gifts for him: I'm sorry you can't see that and it frankly makes me sad that you cannot appreciate that artistic beauty can be used to draw devotion our Lord.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

jiggy, we don't forget.
Christ would want us to turn our eyes to his sacrifice and resurrection. We know he loves us, his love is always in our hearts. The crucifix helps us understand and visialize what he did for us. As do the Scriptures. They go together quite nicely I think and help foster devotion.

just some info

People who oppose religious statuary forget about the many passages where the Lord commands the making of statues. For example: "And you shall make two cherubim of gold [i.e., two gold statues of angels]; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and one cherub on the other end; of one piece of the mercy seat shall you make the cherubim on its two ends. The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be" (Ex. 25:18–20).

David gave Solomon the plan "for the altar of incense made of refined gold, and its weight; also his plan for the golden chariot of the cherubim that spread their wings and covered the ark of the covenant of the Lord. All this he made clear by the writing of the hand of the Lord concerning it all, all the work to be done according to the plan" (1 Chr. 28:18–19). David’s plan for the temple, which the biblical author tells us was "by the writing of the hand of the Lord concerning it all," included statues of angels.

It is when people begin to adore a statue as a god that the Lord becomes angry. Thus when people did start to worship the bronze serpent as a snake-god (whom they named "Nehushtan"), the righteous king Hezekiah had it destroyed (2 Kgs. 18:4).

But, more important, in the Incarnation of Christ his Son, God showed mankind an icon of himself. Paul said, "He is the image (Greek: ikon) of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation." Christ is the tangible, divine "icon" of the unseen, infinite God.

Common sense tells us that, since God has revealed himself in various images, most especially in the incarnate Jesus Christ, it’s not wrong for us to use images of these forms to deepen our knowledge and love of God. That’s why God revealed himself in these visible forms, and that’s why statues and pictures are made of them.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but you're an extremist..

Was God also an extremist?

People who oppose religious statuary forget about the many passages where the Lord commands the making of statues

Perhaps you missed the part where the Lord forbids the making of statues. (unless HE has commanded it)

Exo 20:4 "Do not make for yourselves images of anything in heaven or on earth or in the water under the earth. Do not bow down to any idol or worship it, because I am the LORD your God and I tolerate no rivals."

Common sense tells us that, since God has revealed himself in various images, most especially in the incarnate Jesus Christ, it’s not wrong for us to use images of these forms to deepen our knowledge and love of God. That’s why God revealed himself in these visible forms, and that’s why statues and pictures are made of them.

Common sense needs to check Gods Word.
God revealing Himself through the image of His Son, is not justification for men to create images of things to do with God.

Also, an "image" cannot deepen our knowledge of God, or our love for Him.

Act 17:29 Since we are God's children, we should not suppose that his nature is anything like an image of gold or silver or stone, shaped by human art and skill.

Heb 12:2 Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Last edited:
Not against

I'm not against religious art, -unless it is to be worshipped which it is not intended for that -Therefore it offers no competition to God.
I like to see the Biblical scenes made tangible, the Early Christians used them to decorate churches but I suppose they were all idolaters, coming from the Apostles, you know...
God is an extremist in that he wants us to follow him and love him with all our heart, our mind and soul. I am an artist myself and who's to say the Holy Spirit can't inspire me to make pictures that show his love for me?

The Early Christians used them to decorate churches but I suppose they were all idolaters, coming from the Apostles, you know...

You saw this where? I wasnt aware there were pictures of "early christian church" decor to be found anywhere...

(sarcasm noted)

Your conclusions are based on personal preference and what God has to say about it seems of little interest to you...therefore this discussion is fruitless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.