• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

4 year old asking about girlfriends

My 4 year old came home from school today and asked me what boyfriend and girlfriend means.

I confess I froze.

Any ideas how to answer him?

My 4 year old came home from school today and asked me what boyfriend and girlfriend means.

I confess I froze.

Any ideas how to answer him?

I have to confess I confided in my wife about this question as she has worked in a Primary School for the last 10 years and was in Child Care before that.

She told me that the age’s boys and girls that begin to focus more on the opposite gender are getting younger, even as low as grade 4&5.

She even said she has grade two’s saying I have many boyfriends or girlfriends (just because they sit next to them.)

She said at that age, (your son’s age) they know little of true relationships and may hear it from other people around them or have older siblings that do have girlfriends and boyfriends yet know nothing of true relationships.

She would say to the young ones “You have got better things to do than worry about having a boyfriend or girlfriend”.

Depending on how in depth you want to go, Her answer would be they are ‘special friends’.

Thank you for asking your wife.

I guess I want to communicate that they are not a great idea also.

Like... I want to bring biblical principles into it. Without using the word "fornication". Haha.

I want to give him a solid answer, that will give him a clear idea of what it is, and a clear idea of how God might look on it.

Boyfriends.

My four year old daughter said to her 20 year old brother...

Ohhhh baby, we should get married.

This is something she heard me say to my wife a few times.

Kids pick stuff up, and if we can give them sound Godly advice it will stick with them, and they will associate that advice when the subject comes up again.

Certainly I need to watch what I say around my daughter, my fault on that one.

Just tell the kid that a boyfriend is someone that is your close friend and a boy. Same with a girl. Just means you hang together more often.

By developing and addressing these concepts early, we can ingrain in them a right thinking about things as opposed to what the World thinks, making them strong in the Lord, keeping the truth in what is right.

Jesus Is Lord.

I have to confess I confided in my wife about this question as she has worked in a Primary School for the last 10 years and was in Child Care before that.

She told me that the age’s boys and girls that begin to focus more on the opposite gender are getting younger, even as low as grade 4&5....

It is hard to avoid in our sex saturated culture, but we really need to have godly wisdom concerning the media to which we expose our children.