• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

1 Cor 10:31 - What does this mean?

Appart from giving thanks to your food before you eat - what exactly does this mean?

1 Cor 10:31

This simply means to praise God in all we do. In all things we are to live for Him. He is our all. Regardless of what it is that we are doing in our day to day routine, we are to thank/praise/worship God in all of it. It goes along the same lines are to pray without ceasing.

Active
I believe it means we don't have to be afraid of offending God if we stop using law and logic and operate out of the Spirit.

Mark 7:15. There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

The Jews who converted had a tough time with this.They felt their piety was why God separated them.It was actually the promise to Abraham that all the families of the earth would be blessed by his seed.
The Gentiles that Paul preached to were formerly pagans who had their own rituals they had to break with.They were tempted to replace rule with rule and were under pressure to adopt Jewish tradition to make them more palatable to the Jews so that Christianity would not be offensive to the general Jewish population.

The Spirit ends all division of nations,families and even gender.

Galatians 3:28.There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

One family,one baptism,one Spirit.Let everything you do,say eat or drink be for his Glory.One big beautiful pure,perfect bride,his church.
I dare say we never did get it yet.What should be flowing out of us is praise to his Glory not observance of rules to our glory.

Last edited:
I would like to add to my initial reply. Not only are we to give thanks to God and praise Him in all we do, we are also to ensure He is receiving the glory. This is the touch area that Paul touches on regarding offending the conscience of a weaker believer. If we cause them to stumble in our liberty, we are not giving glory to God. They were free from legalism and free from the burdens of the pagan rituals that existed in those times but they also had to walk a line so as to ensure God received glory at all times. If this meant living in Christian liberty, glorify Him in all we are doing at all times. If we choose to abstain from something out of discretion, glorify Him in our restraint. Soli Deo Glori!