• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

“I Delight in the Law of God”

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
I believe the "law of God" (Rom 7:22) to which Paul refereed was the will of God or the fulfilling of the OT law which, "was our schoolmaster" (for the Jew) to bring them "unto Christ"; also which they "are no longer under" (Gal 3:24, 25). The "law" which the old testament saints "delighted in" (i.e. Psa 119:47) was that part which pointed to God's ultimate will and is summed up in, "he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law" (Rom 13:8).

The grace Christ brought allows us to have unconditional forgiveness (through the Spirit) in loving others "as I have loved you" (John 15:12). This is what requires regeneration because it is, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another" (John 13:34). This was similar but unlike the old commandment which involved conditional love, which was to love others the way you loved yourself or as yourself (Lev 19:18).

Another reason I believe Paul was referring to "the will of God" when he referenced "the law of God" is because at this time of writing, the OT law was "taken away" to "establish the second" (Heb 10:8); which is the NT or "the everlasting covenant" that is "through" His "blood" (Heb 13:20) or "in" His "blood" (Matt 26:28; Mark 14:24; Luke 22:20).

I believe the "law of God" (Rom 7:22) to which Paul refereed was the will of God or the fulfilling of the OT law which, "was our schoolmaster" (for the Jew) to bring them "unto Christ"; also which they "are no longer under" (Gal 3:24, 25). The "law" which the old testament saints "delighted in" (i.e. Psa 119:47) was that part which pointed to God's ultimate will and is summed up in, "he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law" (Rom 13:8).

The grace Christ brought allows us to have unconditional forgiveness (through the Spirit) in loving others "as I have loved you" (John 15:12). This is what requires regeneration because it is, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another" (John 13:34). This was similar but unlike the old commandment which involved conditional love, which was to love others the way you loved yourself or as yourself (Lev 19:18).

Another reason I believe Paul was referring to "the will of God" when he referenced "the law of God" is because at this time of writing, the OT law was "taken away" to "establish the second" (Heb 10:8); which is the NT or "the everlasting covenant" that is "through" His "blood" (Heb 13:20) or "in" His "blood" (Matt 26:28; Mark 14:24; Luke 22:20).
I am not sure if the delight was due to knowing the purpose of the law or what, but according to the context of Rom vs 22-23, he appears to be saying his mind delights in God's law and wants to keep it, but he cannot because of the law of sin in his body. God created man with a good nature, and though it was corrupted, mankind still has a fundamentally good nature. Most people desire to do good and live a good life, they mentally ascent to the good law, and agree that it is good, but have no power to keep it completely. I am not sure if we can read any more into the word "delight" than that.

The delight in the law for the unregenerate, can mean the delight in having the law, the delight in feeling superior to others since having the law, of being proud of it. There is some delight there, but not in the same sense as the Christian. The Taliban and Muslims also delight in their laws, it must give them a sense of accomplishment or even peace in knowing they have obeyed what they think is right. But the Psalmists heart was not regenerated, and was still under the "eye for an eye" mentality, not the "love your enemies" , as evidenced by the language which delights in God destroying their enemies. This is where Christians can fall into a trap and actually find themselves living like Old Testament Jews. We are told that the Bible is the Word of God, so we can accept it and trust it without question right? Well yes and no.. yes it's God's word to be trusted... but no not all parts apply to us. When the Psalms calls for vengeance on enemies.. we need to realize, no that's not the way Jesus taught us, we are taught to love and pray for our enemies, not against them or wish them destruction.
The Law of Moses was the schoolmaster for the Jew, and the moral law written on the heart/conscience was the schoolmaster for the Gentile. Either way, both were under the "law of God", and both would have a sense of delight in the law.. the Jew delights in the written law, the Gentile delights in the moral or ethical laws.

Last edited:
Of course the New Laws , which were always the eternal laws are LOVE and Faith 1 ^These are the Only Laws He writes in our Heart !

Eph_3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Gal_5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
1Ti_1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
1Pe_1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
1Jn_4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
1Jn_4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1Jn_4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Rom_5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Rom_12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

He puts Faith in all mankind , Because He loves all mankind ! but He only puts His perfect Love in those Born of God SEED!

1Pe_1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
Those Born of that perfect seed ? cannot sin 1 It cannot be corrupted and only Sin corrupts ! our flesh is not born of that seed , nor was the First adam or Eve !

DHC

Of course the New Laws , which were always the eternal laws are LOVE and Faith 1 ^These are the Only Laws He writes in our Heart !

Eph_3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Gal_5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
1Ti_1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
1Pe_1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
1Jn_4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

Rom_5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

He puts Faith in all mankind , Because He loves all mankind ! but He only puts His perfect Love in those Born of God SEED!

1Pe_1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
Those Born of that perfect seed ? cannot sin 1 It cannot be corrupted and only Sin corrupts ! our flesh is not born of that seed , nor was the First adam or Eve
!
Hey Spirit1st, great post, full of the eternal truth.

Love and faith, hole in one, you hit the ball out of the spiritual park.

Active
he appears to be saying his mind delights in God's law and wants to keep it, but he cannot because of the law of sin in his body
I believe this a central teaching point, that man could not keep His law perfectly (which God foreknew), which is the requirement to avoid the condemnation of the law, esp. "the law of sin and death" which Adam incurred; which law means that "the soul that sins shall die." This is why Christ came, to annul the curse of which Adam was progenitor and by which we "were made sinners" (Rom 5:19).

The delight in the law for the unregenerate, can mean the delight in having the law,
To "delight in the law" is to have a true and proper desire for it, as is the condition for godly men. Those who improperly delight in God's will desire it for selfish reasons and are unsaved, which you have indicated: "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts" (Jam 4:3).

But the Psalmists heart was not regenerated, and was still under the "eye for an eye" mentality, not the "love your enemies"
The "law" Paul referred to was the Gospel of Christ, not the law of Moses, which is why being saved is now required to truly delight in God's law or in other word, His will.

Active
You're obviously correct that God loves all but, "all men have not faith" (2 Thess 3:2). This is saving faith--"through" which we are saved (Eph 2:8).

Yes They were given Faith ! but lost it some how and now are doomed !
2Th 3:2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.

i believe these become the devils children 1 Void of true love or caring about any !

Active
Yes They were given Faith ! but lost it some how and now are doomed !
2Th 3:2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.

i believe these become the devils children 1 Void of true love or caring about any !
I believe the majority of mankind is going to perish and it is more obvious all the time. Christ revealed this in Matthew 7:13, 14: "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. “Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it".

Even though the number of the saved will be that, "which no man could number" (Rev 7:9) and the lost, "whose number of whom is as the sand of the sea" (Rev 20:8), by comparison the lost will be "few" and this increases the urgency of our growth in Christ so our outreach will be at it's most effectiveness.